What are the easiest meals to cook while camping? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #101

Name: Tom
Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
One of my easiest favorites
Spam singles, mustard, peanut butter, wrap

And no one asks me to fix them one
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #102

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
For TZBrown - when you need to take it up a notch Spam Musubi

The hard part is getting the sticky rice right - pretty good too!
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2019, 06:07 PM   #103

Name: Shangie
Trailer: Northwood Nash 22/1977 Trillium 4500
Washington
For camping I make and keep a lot of homemade foods frozen on standby so we can be spontaneous and take them on the road. They act as additional ice in the ice chest if we need to take large untitled due to group camping duties or as start for the fridge till the 12 volt kicks in nice and cold.

I freeze chili and hearty soups and stews of every variety, especially curries. I also freeze rice in zip lock bags to layer under those. I bake our bread and tortillas so I freeze bread as well and take along a big batch of homemade tortillas. Sweet potato tortillas are super and dead simple to make - it seems anything can fill a tortilla and taste yummy! I also freeze cooked beans and onions with seasonings that can be be a part of any meal as a side or a filling for tortillas. Also frozen hamburger patties for grilling works well and is super simple and satisfying. We take along lots of apples for snacking. No sugar peanut butter and aged cheeses for sandwiches or compliments to apples as they keep well. Oatmeal with nuts, fruit (chopped apples, bananas, etc. and no sugar yogurt for breakfast to keep the body working well during periods of inactivity such as occurs when driving to destinations but full on eggs and bacon or sausage and apple fritters for days in camp when we are doing more than sitting around. When we group camp, each family is responsible for a meal for anywhere from four to ten so I find that crockpot beef or pork roast with veggies (veggies already prepared at home and put in a gallon freezer bag and a frozen roast allowed to slowly thaw) works well served alongside along with a crusty loaf of bread.

We spend a lot of time on Puget Sound in our wee cabin cruiser with a wee refrigerator and galley smaller than the tiniest fiberglass RVs we have seen and so I have to be very clever with how I put together the weekends menus so that we have yummy food since we can't eat at most restaurants due to food allergies. It is challenging but I find that pre cooking, bagging and freezing helps tremendously with both quality of food (homemade) and ease of prep in a small space (everything is already sliced, diced and ready to reheat or crockpot). If I make a beef stew for home I make enough to have one for a Roadtrek trip and one for a wee tug trip. We purchased a small chest freezer that is stocked with camping food now and that has really helped this past year.
Shangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:32 AM   #104

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
I don't know what are the easiest meals to cook while camping but I know the fastest way to wash dishes for lazy people. That is using a dishwasher. heheee
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:08 AM   #105

Name: Grace
Trailer: Helio
Pennsylvania
Reply to Shangie

Sounds like you eat very well, both at home and while camping! My husband and I also like to freeze hearty soups and stews and use those as ice packs, but I’m going to “borrow” your frozen cooked rice idea! I’d love to know how you make sweet potato tortillas!!
GraceInPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:11 AM   #106

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I am the cook at home. I cook the same recipes while on the road in the trailer, although a bit more selective perhaps. Stir fry, Curries, fried chicken, spicy pot roast, blackened fish, spaghetti, beef stew, Chili, eggs benedict with hollandaise sauce, pizza, quiche, Cajun squash, Tacos al Pastor, Oyster casserole. Whatever the local grocery store offers in the way of fresh food really determines what is prepared.

I really like Nigiri, but my wife will not eat raw fish so we have Sushi served with cooked or smoked fish, meats and veggies. However, I still have not gotten the hang of Japanese smoked fish or the marinated fish sometimes used in Nigiri dishes. I have been trying a sweet marinate and gently smoking various fish in the hopes my wife will recognize it as being "cooked": but no luck thus far.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:03 PM   #107

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
Easy meals? When we travel we like our own canned meals like stews or chili. One pot to warm it up, one dish each to clean and drive away.

Freeze dried meals are great that way too. Boiled water over the dried meal re-hydrates and heats it. Easy.
Either way we eat what we like and what we've prepared ourselves.
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #108

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
popcorn
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:43 PM   #109

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Easiest? That would be McDonalds, Wendy’s, Burger King, KFC, Waffle House, etc., though not necessarily in that order.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:48 PM   #110

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I once went an entire three day weekend with a loaf of bread, bologna, cheese, peanut butter, and jelly. I had cold bologna and fired bologna sandwiches. I had peanut butter toast and PBJ sammies. (Plus fresh fruit and veggies and potato chips, water, coffee, and beer.) It was surprisingly relaxing weekend not thinking about planning meals.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:23 PM   #111

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceInPA View Post
Sounds like you eat very well, both at home and while camping! My husband and I also like to freeze hearty soups and stews and use those as ice packs, but I’m going to “borrow” your frozen cooked rice idea! I’d love to know how you make sweet potato tortillas!!
Always good to check that last post date. You’re resurrecting a nearly year old thread, albeit one of my favorites in the category. Just sayin’ don’t be surprised if the last poster isn’t active.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:46 AM   #112

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That happens a lot. I deleted my recent post when I began to think, “this sounds familiar.” Went back and checked, and found I had said almost the same thing back in post #4- almost three years ago!

One thought as I scanned back over all the posts: “simple and easy” are very subjective attributes. For us, anything that has to be prepped ahead of time is hard, but we enjoy communal meal preparation in camp.

Second thought is many things are hard until they become habits, things like setting aside camp-sized portions of leftovers. For me firing up the charcoal grill is second nature, but others would find it a huge nuisance.

Sweet potato tortillas piqued my interest too, since my wife loves sweet potatoes, and we use tortillas rather than bread when traveling. A google search will turn up recipes, but for us it falls in the category of “must be prepped ahead of time.”
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:04 AM   #113

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We don't look for easy, we look for good. So loving to eat good food, that is what we cook. It takes little effort to cook food, why not have some fresh yummy stuff? We like to choose what is popular locally in many cases.

Steak, chicken, pork, fish and other meats can be real easy to prepare. Salads, fresh or cooked veggies, potatoes, rice, pasta, and the like, also easy to cook.

Heck, I even went so far as installing a full Dickinson range in our trailer as my wife loves to bake lots of things, and boy do I love to eat them.

Eating healthy and in good proportion is important to me and my health, I will not make any sacrifices to affect that. Well, there are a couple times we cheat a bit, but not much. Going out for meals, we look for good quality options, a fast food place is a very rare thing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:39 AM   #114
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
When I was a child travelling with my parents, we often stopped for dinner at Howard Johnsons. My favorite was a hot turkey sandwich. Today, I make some instant potatoes. When done I put them on the plate and dump a can of turkey gravy into the pot. Real turkey breast can be found at the deli of many grocery stores. Add a few slices to the gravy. When hot put the turkey on a slice of bread. Cover turkey and potatoes with gravy. One pot comfort food. The only thing missing is the 28 flavors.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote