what do you cook,,,ON. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #15

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well this is pretty interesting to me. and i'd say that generaly for most of our traveling we are all in the same mindset. easy to cook stuff,,,or restraunts.
but i do enjoy food as an adventure so i like to cook new and unusual items. once while staying overnight in cananda on my way to my campsite i noticed an emu farm that sold meat,,,,well,,,just had to try some emu steak. sometimes it will be some crazy fish bought at a seafood market, or comercial fishery. or maybe a buffalo farm catches my eye. so with that in mind i am always looking for a new way to cook also. and while its old school the thing i am currently interested in a a roasting spit. i have an idea for a simple stand for the spit, and one of thos motorised ones they make for bbq grills. i'm thinking stick a chicken or turkey on that and you should have some interesting dinner . and plenty of time for a nap while the critter cooks itself. i did see a battery operated spit too.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #16

Michigan
oh,,,has anyone tried plow disc cooking?
they make what amounts to a shallow wok ,they call a plow disc. looks interesting.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #17

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren
oh,,,has anyone tried plow disc cooking?
they make what amounts to a shallow wok ,they call a plow disc. looks interesting.
Yup... It was the standard method when I was on south Africa. Worked like a champ. Our setup had the disk suspended from three cains on a tripod.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Eastern Ontario
We cook outside most of the time (weather allowing), but do breakfast in the trailer. We use Pie Irons on the gas stove and also use Dutch Ovens. Pie Irons make great sandwiches and desserts. We keep the food simple but try one or two fancier meals a week. We also like to go out for a good meal as a treat.

Sandy C.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #19

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
It's interesting, I never thought to use the pie iron over the camp stove. I always thought we had to use it over the coals. I really want to get a pie iron and will do so soon.
For those of you who do Dutch Oven cooking... have you found a way to cook for 2? I'd like to hear your recommendations.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #20

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
It's interesting, I never thought to use the pie iron over the camp stove. I always thought we had to use it over the coals. I really want to get a pie iron and will do so soon.
For those of you who do Dutch Oven cooking... have you found a way to cook for 2? I'd like to hear your recommendations.
Cooking for 2 is really difficult. I do have an 8" Lodge which is still a bit large when cooking for 2. However it works great for biscuits for 2, 4 biscuits just fit in the bottom. Other dishes, it can be a bit much. I usually figure on left overs.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #21

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Mostly cook inside on the stove. Occasionally I use the campfire for old times sake. I like to cook while camping and don't like too much convenience and processed foods. Never cook meat because we do not eat any.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #22

Michigan
as for dutch ovens,,, and cooking for two, i saw one thats maybe a quart and a half the other day.

but you don't have to fill it up,, and you can cook multiple items at once. if your cooking something like a stew for example, i will use a wire rack that is a little over half the height of my do, then on top i can set a pan of cornbread, or rolls, yes they pick up a little stew flavor,,,but heck,,gonna be dunkin anyway. or rice in the bottom and steam veggies up top.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Eastern Ontario
Gilda, we cook for 2. We use 8" and 10" ovens. The meals are usually planned so that we have leftovers for the following day. We also bring a wok for reheating leftovers and doing stir-fries. A hint for using the pie irons on the stove is warm them first and then it is usually about 2 min a side for a good ham and cheese.

Sandy C
Old 06-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #24

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
I made a stove cover for the camper and it hasnt been off since, could have taken it out........coleman propane, small weber or fire, thought of making a tripod for fire just havent gotten there yet
Old 06-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #25

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
The inside stove isn't even hooked up. I use a Coleman stove and grill outside. Always plan the meals for simplicity: Pancakes and cocoa for breakfast, spagetti is a regular dinner item. I have done a full Thanksgiving dinner cooking outside, but it wasn't just me then. But I don't cook on an open fire(too much work).
Old 06-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #26

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
We like campfire cooking, with a grate, baskets, foil, pie irons, dutch oven... The fire adds flavor, and to me, outdoor cooking is kind of relaxing. As the fire's usually going anyway. Why mess up the trailer? I usually do most of the prep outside, as well.
We also carry a small gas grill. Useful on rainy nights.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #27

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I believe there was some conversation several years ago about needing "camp stove permits" in some places in California. And in the current explosive fire conditions the only way you could cook is inside your trailer.
Am I remembering correctly?
Old 06-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #28

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I just use the two burners in the Scamp and I put a small AC toaster oven over the sink (I know it sounds like the worst place for a small AC appliance, but it's not going to fall in the sink and electrocute me, well secured up there). Works great, but does heat the fiberglass above it pretty darn good if I leave it on high for 20+ minutes. I'm not much of a microwave person. I hate mushy food and that's what comes out of microwaves. I'd be curious if I could use it on "medium" for a little while off a largish inverter or if it would kill a pare of batteries in minutes.

I'd love a tiny grill for outside, perhaps that I could run off the main propane tank on the tongue. Charcoal is too messy and I don't want to deal with hot coals in fire season conditions, nor carry around a bag of charcoal.