what do you cook,,,ON. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #21

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Mostly cook inside on the stove. Occasionally I use the campfire for old times sake. I like to cook while camping and don't like too much convenience and processed foods. Never cook meat because we do not eat any.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #22

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
as for dutch ovens,,, and cooking for two, i saw one thats maybe a quart and a half the other day.

but you don't have to fill it up,, and you can cook multiple items at once. if your cooking something like a stew for example, i will use a wire rack that is a little over half the height of my do, then on top i can set a pan of cornbread, or rolls, yes they pick up a little stew flavor,,,but heck,,gonna be dunkin anyway. or rice in the bottom and steam veggies up top.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Gilda, we cook for 2. We use 8" and 10" ovens. The meals are usually planned so that we have leftovers for the following day. We also bring a wok for reheating leftovers and doing stir-fries. A hint for using the pie irons on the stove is warm them first and then it is usually about 2 min a side for a good ham and cheese.

Sandy C
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #24

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
I made a stove cover for the camper and it hasnt been off since, could have taken it out........coleman propane, small weber or fire, thought of making a tripod for fire just havent gotten there yet
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #25

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
The inside stove isn't even hooked up. I use a Coleman stove and grill outside. Always plan the meals for simplicity: Pancakes and cocoa for breakfast, spagetti is a regular dinner item. I have done a full Thanksgiving dinner cooking outside, but it wasn't just me then. But I don't cook on an open fire(too much work).
Old 06-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #26

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We like campfire cooking, with a grate, baskets, foil, pie irons, dutch oven... The fire adds flavor, and to me, outdoor cooking is kind of relaxing. As the fire's usually going anyway. Why mess up the trailer? I usually do most of the prep outside, as well.
We also carry a small gas grill. Useful on rainy nights.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #27

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I believe there was some conversation several years ago about needing "camp stove permits" in some places in California. And in the current explosive fire conditions the only way you could cook is inside your trailer.
Am I remembering correctly?
Old 06-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #28

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I just use the two burners in the Scamp and I put a small AC toaster oven over the sink (I know it sounds like the worst place for a small AC appliance, but it's not going to fall in the sink and electrocute me, well secured up there). Works great, but does heat the fiberglass above it pretty darn good if I leave it on high for 20+ minutes. I'm not much of a microwave person. I hate mushy food and that's what comes out of microwaves. I'd be curious if I could use it on "medium" for a little while off a largish inverter or if it would kill a pare of batteries in minutes.

I'd love a tiny grill for outside, perhaps that I could run off the main propane tank on the tongue. Charcoal is too messy and I don't want to deal with hot coals in fire season conditions, nor carry around a bag of charcoal.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #29

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Wok Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
oh,,,has anyone tried plow disc cooking?
they make what amounts to a shallow wok ,they call a plow disc. looks interesting.
We have a propane fish fry burner . a cast ring which fits into the burner to stabilize the wok ( Made from from a 1995 Arctic Cat snowmobile ) and a large steel wok. The burner puts out plenty of BTU's for stir frying . My grand kids love to pick out what they want in their stir fry ( NO YUCKY VEGETABLES) and Grandpa gets to cook . All done outdoors and no mess or heat in the Scamp. We also have an angle iron stand where the same burner can be attached to the bottom of the stand and a large kettle placed on top of the stand for cooking BOOYA. We have made between 10 and 50 gallons of Booya at one time . It's a great treat on a cold fall day camping in Minnesota
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #30

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
I just use the two burners in the Scamp and I put a small AC toaster oven over the sink (I know it sounds like the worst place for a small AC appliance, but it's not going to fall in the sink and electrocute me, well secured up there). Works great, but does heat the fiberglass above it pretty darn good if I leave it on high for 20+ minutes. I'm not much of a microwave person. I hate mushy food and that's what comes out of microwaves. I'd be curious if I could use it on "medium" for a little while off a largish inverter or if it would kill a pare of batteries in minutes.

I'd love a tiny grill for outside, perhaps that I could run off the main propane tank on the tongue. Charcoal is too messy and I don't want to deal with hot coals in fire season conditions, nor carry around a bag of charcoal.
Any electric heating device is going to discharge your battery rapidly.
I found a neat little propane BBQ. Every other propane BBQ grill has been a disappointment, this one works great. You can check it out here.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #31

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Any electric heating device is going to discharge your battery rapidly.
I have no doubt about that, but could I make some toast with two full batteries and not have a completely dead batteries afterwards?

I'm just curious. How long would 2 grp 31 120 amp hour batteries power a 1500 watt inverter under a strong load??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I found a neat little propane BBQ. Every other propane BBQ grill has been a disappointment, this one works great. You can check it out here.
Cute, but still a bit big for me. I'm looking for something like 5lbs, big enough to fit one steak. 8x10 perhaps. Probably doesn't exist.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #32

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I bought a Camp Chef™ 2-burner stove and oven unit that sits outside on an Ozark Trails™ table when I'm set up. I also have the two burner unit like originally came with my Burro, but don't have it installed yet. I see it when it does get hooked up as being used mostly for coffee and other items to be boiled, or for indoor cooking during foul weather.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #33

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
I bought a Camp Chef™ 2-burner stove and oven unit that sits outside on an Ozark Trails™ table when I'm set up. I also have the two burner unit like originally came with my Burro, but don't have it installed yet. I see it when it does get hooked up as being used mostly for coffee and other items to be boiled, or for indoor cooking during foul weather.

Froggie
we are eyeballin that campchef ourselves. are you happy with it over all?
any draw backs aside from size?
Old 07-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #34

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Some back ground: several years ago I attended a fiberglass rally and was invited into one of the trailers. Apparently the owner had cooked dinner the evening before in the trailer. I found the odor inside the cabin to be overwhelming. Based on that experience, I never cook anything in the trailer that has fairly strong odors like pasta sauce.

I do a lot of winter camping. And I am out most of the day training my dogs. I have a microwave, a 4 burner stove and oven. I also have a Coleman propane grill. I have a generator which I use most evenings to recharge my batteries when cooking dinner, as I usually use the Microwave.

In the morning I have oatmeal and egg whites. I prefer to cook egg whites in the microwave, but if I am dry camping, I use the stove top (too lazy to start my generator first thing). I also brew a pot of coffee on my stove top using the Coleman Camping Coffee Maker.

I usually pack a lunch. I make it the night before and pack it in the AM.

In the evening, I primarily use the Microwave. I cook "Healthy Choice" Frozen Dinners. If I have time before leaving on my trip, I make a lot of soup and/or casseroles and freeze single portions in zip lock bags. I always make a salad and microwave vegetables. I have fruit and snacks for dessert.

If I am near a town with a decent restaurant, I'll treat myself to dinner.

Every so often, I'll be dry camping with fellow trainers who want to do a pot luck dinner or off cooking for the group. That is fun for me. But I keep it as simple as possible when my turn comes up.

My husband prefers to eat out, so when he joins me, we simply make coffee in the morning ... and have dinner out.

I bought the trailer to augment my dog training hobby. So, at the end of the day, I pretty much want to fix a simple meal that is easy to clean up, air the dogs and go to bed.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #35

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Dylanear - you might be interested in the solar power project that Kamper Bob has been blogging about recently. Try this link:
April | 2012 | Recreation Engineer
It should get you to the first installment of the discussion - he's up to Part 6 and has had good success - he pulls a Scamp 19 5er.
You'd probably have fun chatting with him!
Fran (on the other side of the Sandias!)
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #36

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Outdoors with a Coleman grill- rain or shine or in the dutch oven.

I have been known to slip hot pockets under the intake runners on my truck when wheeling.
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #37

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hmmm...things seemed to be getting a little tense with some posts..but hopefully that's resolved.
as to our cooking--no cooking inside except for boiling the kettle for tea. i will do prep inside but we cook outside. either on the fire, on our small propane BBQ or else in our electric frying pan or crockpot.
it isn't that i object to cooking inside as much as i don't care to heat the trailer up.
we really enjoy cooking over the fire...but i am totally uninitiated into the whole dutch oven style of cooking---but definitely intrigued!!---is this done over the fire or are you speaking of a stove-top style of pot???
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #38

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
we really enjoy cooking over the fire...but i am totally uninitiated into the whole dutch oven style of cooking---but definitely intrigued!!---is this done over the fire or are you speaking of a stove-top style of pot???
A cast iron pot with sealed lid nested in hot coals.

It is one of my favorite ways to cook.
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #39

Trailer: 82 Burro
I call myself a camper, not a RV'er and I prefer to cook outside. If I wanted to cook inside I'd stay home :-) I chuckle at Rallys when I'm the only person cooking outside and I get strange looks from others.
Shirley LaMoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #40

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley LaMoine View Post
I call myself a camper, not a RV'er and I prefer to cook outside. If I wanted to cook inside I'd stay home :-) I chuckle at Rallys when I'm the only person cooking outside and I get strange looks from others.
well,, camper??? i guess we are,,, more of an adventurer. we camp to travel more economicly. for example a 5 day trip to wasington dc cost $88 camping,,, and more then that per night in a motel.
as to my cooking,,,guess i'm a bit of a foody. i enjoy cooking and love to be adventurous with food,,, so methods of cooking are interesting to me.

lately i have been very into spit roasting. throw some veggies in a basket, and a chunk -O-meat and hook up the motor and watch it turn over a nice bed of coals,,,mmmm.
have also figured out how nice and easy a wok is to cook on while camping. am currently looking at a set up that has the grill, and spit all set up to place on a fire ring in one nice little unit. will see if i can get to that project soon. need to measure up the fire pits in state parks first, ours are pretty standardised., here in michigan.