what do you cook,,,ON. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
what do you cook,,,ON.

campfire? stove? charcoal grill?

we have devised a rulle in our scamp in the interest of cleanliness.
inside cooking is limited to water based items,,,morning coffee, soup, things like that. anything greasy, bacon,, steak, gets cooked outside, on the coleman stove or charcoal grill.
i have a dutch oven and am getting more into using that. but i have been looking at campfire cooking a lot more. the cowboy kitchen type stuff. a tripod grill, or the oldstyle above fire rod that you hang grills, pots, dutch ovens and such from. in particular im interested in a rottisery spit to roast things on. i have made a few squirrel cookers and think a larger one that could spit roast ,say, a turkey would be fun .
have any dream cooking whatchamajiggers you would like to try?
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
In terms of INDOOR cooking - water-based on the stove top (mostly morning coffee) or toasted in built-in toaster - otherwise - if it can't be microwaved, it doesn't get taken on the trip.

All else involves going out to a restaurant
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
I use the coleman stove, a little mini propane grill and the campfire. I prefer cooking on the open fire but if the weather is rainy or if I'm rushing I will just use the mini grill. At least you can stay out of the rain and under a tarp. All my cooking including coffee is done outside. My boler has been gutted so no stove sink or fridge, but hopfully soon I will have another fridge.
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #4

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
We cook just about everything inside on our stove top and in the oven too. If I'd wanted to still be doing campfire cooking I'd still be tent camping! :-)
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Do most cooking in the trailer except for meats which I do on the BQ. I purchased the pre cooked bacon that only needs to be warmed up to avoid the fat splatter. I do have a small camp stove I use outside if the weather is to warm for cooking inside. I also have a *very* small portable oven that I will sometimes use outside under the awning.

Like Kathy I purchased a trailer to avoid the campfire cooking - been there done that for years. :-))
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #6

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
We prefer to cook over a fire, on a grill, or in a dutch oven. Inside is saved for water based stuff - side dishes, etc... but that is the exception.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #7

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
We do most of our cooking outside on a grill(gas or char) on the camp fire or in a crock pot inside.

Our DD & SNL most often go with us...they do almost ALL the cooking and those are the ways they like to cook. I do the coffee,snacks(mostly cooked at home) and crock pot stuff and small amount of clean up after meals .They use a lot of heavy duty foil ,paperplates & cups we all have our own coffee cups so there is not much clean up.

Now when we go just the 2 of us I also do most of my cooking outside,but DH does like sanswhiches or hot dogs when we camp. Quick & easy stuff out camping because he says I spend to much time cooking at home and camping is vacation time(from cooking) for me. Of course he can not even boil water,but he loves camping and everything that goes with it.( think hiking,biking,kayaking)

Happy Camping to all...Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I camp to relax and NOT have to cook. So I take things that I've already precooked, or else I use other people's campfires to roast a hot dog. Its funny, but most of my lady camping friends are not necessarily looking at 'cooking over a campfire' as a fun time. (LOL)
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Kevin - Coleman stove outside. If raining, he cooks outside under the FirstUp. I work the microwave inside. The propane stove does work but has not been used once since we bought the Coleman.

Who would push to use it ? It is Kevin's gizmo. I cooked inside before we got the Coleman. I don't use it outside; now I am not the cook.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Even with a motor home did almost all cooking on the coleman or over a fire. Used to have a small (table top) propane grill that was nice for when it was too hot for a fire. Wore out and have not gotten around to replacing it.

Takes awhile to make a big pot of percolator coffee on the coleman but we fill our travel thermos the night before and have that first cup waiting for us. With a hot water pre-heat the thermos keeps coffee hot all night.

We do tend to do simple foods, love foil wrapped hobo dinners with hamburger and all manner of goodies packed in them. Wife keeps me out of the kitchen at home for mental health reasons (I drive her crazy) but camping I do the cooking, she does the prep.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I go camping to enjoy the great outdoors, and for me that includes cooking unless the weather is really crappy. I just prefer to watch what is going on in my 'living room', than to stare at the inside walls of my trailer.

Most food gets cooked on the BBQ or stove, but I do like to cook on the fire too. Veggie packs, baked potatoes, or corn in the husk, all done on the coals taste great. A grill low over glowing coals also cooks up a great steak or fish. We don't bother with any electrical appliances when camping, as most often we are off-grid and they would just be added weight and take up space for us.

The trailer stove does get used fairly often for those quick overnight stops too, when quick and easy is required. But then it is usually a quick cold breakfast and only the coffee comes off the stove.

We do keep most of our meals fairly simple to keep the time spent cooking down. I do the majority of the cooking while camping, while my wife does the prep. At home she does almost all of it. For some reason it seems like way less of a chore camping, likely because I don't have a bunch of work stuff to do as well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I bought a trailer that has a 2 burner cook top. I don't see much reason to not use it. Once in a while I'll cook outside, dutch oven or Cadac. Meals, other than Dutch Oven type, are usually quick and easy to the point it takes more time hauling stuff out of the trailer and back in than it does to cook it.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Major cooking outdoors on the gas stove or portable gas grill. Morning coffee inside, but I have cooked a spaghetti w/sauce dinner indoors one cold rainy day while camping in NY. We keep it simple with things like burgers, hot dogs, grilled chicken, etc. Or sandwiches if no one feels like slaving over a hot grill.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #14

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
our 13' Bigfoot has a 3 burner cook top, and my wife Karen, has used all three at times; friends with bolers and scamps say "wish I had 3 rather than 2". I set up a Coleman, don't use it much. We precook many things for short trips. Breakfast-- scrambled eggs,mixed with vegi's and rolled up in a tortilla are great. Marshmallows on the open fire, or fish rolled in foil, and potatoes in foil. Prebaked potatoes work well, precook bacon at home. Beer and chips just require, a relaxing chair inside, or out under the awning.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #15

Michigan
well this is pretty interesting to me. and i'd say that generaly for most of our traveling we are all in the same mindset. easy to cook stuff,,,or restraunts.
but i do enjoy food as an adventure so i like to cook new and unusual items. once while staying overnight in cananda on my way to my campsite i noticed an emu farm that sold meat,,,,well,,,just had to try some emu steak. sometimes it will be some crazy fish bought at a seafood market, or comercial fishery. or maybe a buffalo farm catches my eye. so with that in mind i am always looking for a new way to cook also. and while its old school the thing i am currently interested in a a roasting spit. i have an idea for a simple stand for the spit, and one of thos motorised ones they make for bbq grills. i'm thinking stick a chicken or turkey on that and you should have some interesting dinner . and plenty of time for a nap while the critter cooks itself. i did see a battery operated spit too.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #16

Michigan
oh,,,has anyone tried plow disc cooking?
they make what amounts to a shallow wok ,they call a plow disc. looks interesting.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #17

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren
oh,,,has anyone tried plow disc cooking?
they make what amounts to a shallow wok ,they call a plow disc. looks interesting.
Yup... It was the standard method when I was on south Africa. Worked like a champ. Our setup had the disk suspended from three cains on a tripod.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
We cook outside most of the time (weather allowing), but do breakfast in the trailer. We use Pie Irons on the gas stove and also use Dutch Ovens. Pie Irons make great sandwiches and desserts. We keep the food simple but try one or two fancier meals a week. We also like to go out for a good meal as a treat.

Sandy C.
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #19

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
It's interesting, I never thought to use the pie iron over the camp stove. I always thought we had to use it over the coals. I really want to get a pie iron and will do so soon.
For those of you who do Dutch Oven cooking... have you found a way to cook for 2? I'd like to hear your recommendations.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
It's interesting, I never thought to use the pie iron over the camp stove. I always thought we had to use it over the coals. I really want to get a pie iron and will do so soon.
For those of you who do Dutch Oven cooking... have you found a way to cook for 2? I'd like to hear your recommendations.
Cooking for 2 is really difficult. I do have an 8" Lodge which is still a bit large when cooking for 2. However it works great for biscuits for 2, 4 biscuits just fit in the bottom. Other dishes, it can be a bit much. I usually figure on left overs.