Ain't Technology Wonderful? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2006, 01:32 AM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Fastest Text Messager Competition

It seems that morse code is still faster at sending text messages than using txt speak. Even when the morse code sender is 93 years old and the SMS challengers were teenagers!

According to The Times , an Australian museum staged a contest that pitted the oldest type of electronic text messages with the newest.

Morse code Devised by Samuel Morse in 1832, the simple combination of dots and dashes was the mainstay of maritime communication up until 1997.

Not only was the technology a battle of ages, but so were the contestants. Tapping out the winning morse code message was 93-year-old telegraph operator Gordon Hill, who learnt to use the technique in 1927 when he joined the Australian Post Office.

He easily defeated his 13-year-old rival, Brittany Devlin, who was armed with a mobile phone and a rich vocabulary of text message shorthand. Mr Hill, whose messages were transcribed by another telegraph veteran, Jack Gibson, 82, then repeated the feat against three other children and teenagers with mobile phones.

In the competition, at the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney, Mr Hill and his rivals were asked to transmit a line selected at random from an advertisement in a teenage magazine.

It read: “Hey, girlfriend, you can text all your best pals to tell them where you are going and what you are wearing.”

While the telegraphist tapped out the line in full, to be deciphered by Mr Gibson, Miss Devlin employed text slang to save time. She keyed: “hey gf u can txt ur best pals 2 tel them wot u r doing, where ur going and wot u r wearing.”

Just 90 seconds after Mr Hill began transmitting, Mr Gibson announced that he had the message received and written down correctly. It took another 18 seconds for Miss Devlin’s message to reach the mobile phone belonging to her friend. Mr Hill said that he was impressed by modern technology, even though his clunky telegraph machine emerged on top in three further contests.

Want to brush up your Morse Code skills? This site claims to be able to teach you in just a minute!: http://www.learnmorsecode.com

Source: http://www.160characters.org/news.php?acti...ew&nid=1541
Attached Images

Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Jay Leno had a contest between a pair of hams and a pair of txt messagers on the Tonight Show within the past year or so. The hams won!

Too bad the U.S. is dropping the Morse Code requirement entirely... I would have liked to see it kept on for at least Amateur Extra. I don't use CW (Morse), but I did have to learn enough to pass the 5 wpm test. CW definitely has it's place.

73 DE Lee KB1GNI
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Jay Leno had a contest between a pair of hams and a pair of txt messagers on the Tonight Show within the past year or so. The hams won!

Too bad the U.S. is dropping the Morse Code requirement entirely... I would have liked to see it kept on for at least Amateur Extra. I don't use CW (Morse), but I did have to learn enough to pass the 5 wpm test. CW definitely has it's place.

73 DE Lee KB1GNI
Well I passed the General Written Exam a year ago, I wonder if that now makes me a General class.
73 Doug Sheetsd KC0EDT (Technician)
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
A good book to take along camping is The Victorian Internet, The Remarkable Story of the Telegraph and the 19th Century's On-line Pioneers, by Tom Standage. The interent, which we assume is of the current age, began long ago.
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:31 AM   #5

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
Well I passed the General Written Exam a year ago, I wonder if that now makes me a General class.
73 Doug Sheetsd KC0EDT (Technician)

Check your test date on your CSCE, if it is earlier than Jan 22 2006, you'll have to test again. The Report & Order was published yesterday & it takes 30 days to become official. The code elimination should take effect around Jan 22 2007, 30 days from the publish date. However, if you tested after Jan 22 2006, congradulations, you will upgrade to General.

In any event, if your test for General has expired, you still will get expanded privleges, when the R&O takes effect you get access to Tech Plus band access into 10 meters and I think others as well.

I tested and passed the General written, but I did it back in March of 2005, I'll have to retest but when I do I'll also try to pass the Extra class exam as well.

I'm taking practice exams now from the www.qrz.com website...QRZ's Practice Amateur Radio Exams

Merry Christmas
73' ConwayBob KI4HEE
There's a photo me in my Scamp Shack on this website... The Grand Strand Amateur Radio Club
Old 01-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft 2001 Casita Freedom Deluxe (one eyed CatSita)
in the late '50's, i was a member of a cic crew on wv2's (radar patrol planes).
our radiomen sent our reports by morse code using what they called a "bug". it enabled them to send much faster than the single key. have not heard anything about that since.
Lou & Lora E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #7

Quote:
in the late '50's, i was a member of a cic crew on wv2's (radar patrol planes).
our radiomen sent our reports by morse code using what they called a "bug". it enabled them to send much faster than the single key. have not heard anything about that since.
"Bugs" are still around, in fact there are many different styles and sizes, some are very intricate in design and can be considered works of art. The "Vibroplex" Bug key is still manufactured virtually unchanged and is highly prized.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
There's a photo me in my Scamp Shack on this website... The Grand Strand Amateur Radio Club
Hey, Ham of the Year! Good job, Bob!

Nice ham shack. That's exactly what got me started looking for an egg. Our club supports several dogsled races in the winter (WHEN we get snow!) and it can get mighty cold standing around in the snow with an HT.
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Hey, Ham of the Year! Good job, Bob!

Nice ham shack. That's exactly what got me started looking for an egg. Our club supports several dogsled races in the winter (WHEN we get snow!) and it can get mighty cold standing around in the snow with an HT.
Yes, "frost on the pumkin" is indeed a great motivator. I got tired of working out of a unheated gardenshed & wanted something portable. The Scamp is perfect for my needs, plus it looks so neat any way you look at it.

Thanks for the kudos about Ham o' year... I'm just a big cheerleader for Ham Radio & our Club & I was surprized at getting awarded the honor.

73, ConwayBob KI4HEE
Old 01-13-2007, 12:38 PM   #10

I want to take a moment and correct a comment I made earlier about the recent announcement of the FCC dropping the Morse Code requirement.

I was in error about when this change takes effect. In a nutshell, the change takes effect 30 days after the Report & Order (R&O) is entered into the Federal Register, THAT HASN'T BEEN DONE YET.

As I've been informed, nothing has been set as when this will happen, although it is predicted that it will uccur sometime this month (January). Consequently, the earliest that the dropping of Morse Code as a requirement for a Amateur Radio General, & Extra Class licence could be sometime in February.

One other important thing... when it does take effect, it isn't automatic, you must first appear at a VE session with any completed & unexpired CSCE's, & pay the proctors fee for them to fill out and submit the proper forms for the upgrade.

I reccommend anyone wanting further info to read all about it in the ARRL FAQ:
http://www.arrl.org/announce/regulatory/wt05-235/

I know this is far from any normal Fiberglass RV subject matter, and definitely NOT a joke or tall tale, but I just wish to correct misinformation I had given out earlier.

Thanks,
ConwayBob/KI4HEE