Can't light the friggin' refer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat > Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Can't light the friggin' refer?

Just a fun observation of one example the different terminologies used across the continent.

Around here the refrigerator gets shortened to 'fridge'. I see others using 'frig' which to me is more commonly used as a milder version of the F-bomb. Others use 'refer', which to me is one of those wacky tobacky things (or so I've been told ).

I guess I just entertain easily, carry on.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Just be sure the gas is ON. You'll never get it lit if it's switched to AC or DC. Believe me, I know ...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #3

Name: Julie
Trailer: 13' 2007 Scamp without bathroom
Arizona
Heehee
realgranola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Considering the finicky temperament of 3-ways, I can understand how fridge might turn into frig under one's breath. As to "refer," when I first saw this spelling in reference to rv refrigerators, I thought it was a mispelling of "reefer," a large, refrigerated container as in reefer car (railroad), and reefer trailer (road). The same phonetically but one missing the double-E. Maybe the lack of utility of the 3-ways doesn't warrant two Es? The usual spelling for the cannabis cigarette is also reefer rather than refer. Perhaps the recreational vehicle and the recreational chemical didn't mix thus the removal of the second E. One of the very good reasons not to name everything on the planet by the same name. The reintroduction of an old slang word from the Viet Nam War era may be over-dew.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #5

Trailer: Helite
I-cA-BoxA
Italian fro Fridg
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Just be sure the gas is ON. You'll never get it lit if it's switched to AC or DC. Believe me, I know ...
Gee Mary. I have never done anything like that....yeah, right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Considering the finicky temperament of 3-ways, I can understand how fridge might turn into frig under one's breath. As to "refer," when I first saw this spelling in reference to rv refrigerators, I thought it was a mispelling of "reefer," a large, refrigerated container as in reefer car (railroad), and reefer trailer (road). The same phonetically but one missing the double-E. Maybe the lack of utility of the 3-ways doesn't warrant two Es? The usual spelling for the cannabis cigarette is also reefer rather than refer. Perhaps the recreational vehicle and the recreational chemical didn't mix thus the removal of the second E. One of the very good reasons not to name everything on the planet by the same name. The reintroduction of an old slang word from the Viet Nam War era may be over-dew.

jack
I had the same thought about a refrigerated container too Jack, and wondered if there was a parallel. I knew reefer was misspelled, but did not want to change the spelling for my post.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #7

Delaware
. . . and how did the (soft G) "DG" get expressed in "fridge" when it's understood in frigid? Most folks think it has something to do with the brand name Frigidaire. Others don't care. If you do care, here's a link:

BBC - mbradio4 Word of Mouth - refrigerator
Old 08-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #8

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
One thing I've done that's let me successfully (well, two or three times) light the 2-way is to hold the right-hand button down for a good minute AFTER I can see the little flame in the sight-hole on the left. I figure that what you're doing with that right-hand button is over-riding the "I'm going to turn off the gas if I don't feel heat" sensor gizmo. Unless that sensor is heated up the gas "should" turn off. Holding the button down makes sure that sensor is warm enough to let the gas flow. I'm surmising this based on the lighting sequence for my home gas furnace.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #9

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
I figure that what you're doing with that right-hand button is over-riding the "I'm going to turn off the gas if I don't feel heat" sensor gizmo.
In just these circumstances, I am a great fan of holding the button down very firmly, so that the button knows you aren't going to give in easily and let go. A mind over matter thing.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #10

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
In just these circumstances, I am a great fan of holding the button down very firmly, so that the button knows you aren't going to give in easily and let go. A mind over matter thing.
Absolutely! It's the same technique I use with computers. You talk sternly to the box whilst performing some operation.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #11

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I don't think your supposed to do it this way, but I've found a "jet" lighter pointed through the observation hole has worked well for me.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When I worked as a Teamster in the 1960's ,a box car or trailer load of refrigerators was always referred to as a load of "refers" even by the guys in their 60's . When they were multiple boxcars stacked 2 high with refrigerators and you had to unload them by yourself ,by hand (No help No forklift) it was referred to as "refer madness" .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #13

Delaware
And there's that fine old anti-drug film from the 30s called "Reefer Madness" and later adapted as a musical. Possibly some x-pollination there also.

jack
Old 08-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #14

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I think people put a D in the fridge just so it wouldn't look like, um, that other activity.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
If it works and keeps the beer cold you can call it anything you want. But when it won't light or doesn't run you can't post what the thing gets called then.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I think people put a D in the fridge just so it wouldn't look like, um, that other activity.
No friging way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
If it works and keeps the beer cold you can call it anything you want. But when it won't light or doesn't run you can't post what the thing gets called then.
True Dat, RogerDat.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #17

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
It works best if you light your refer before you light your reefer. Otherwise you get lit and tend to stare at all the flames for a great deal of time while holding the button and the refer never seems to function properly. I've known people to just sit and stare for 10 minutes while holding that friggin button.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post

There are also those occasions when you may become concerned about whether or not you have pressed it far enough or hard enough, and a few "gentle taps" with a 15 pound sledge seem to be called for.......
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #19

Name: Ray
Trailer: Yellow Winnebago
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
One thing I've done that's let me successfully (well, two or three times) light the 2-way is to hold the right-hand button down for a good minute AFTER I can see the little flame in the sight-hole on the left. I figure that what you're doing with that right-hand button is over-riding the "I'm going to turn off the gas if I don't feel heat" sensor gizmo. Unless that sensor is heated up the gas "should" turn off. Holding the button down makes sure that sensor is warm enough to let the gas flow. I'm surmising this based on the lighting sequence for my home gas furnace.
I just wasted a nickel bag trying that!
RGill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light