Do we really need 4WD?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #15

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
I'm thinking my beater 2000 dodge dakota could handle anything in those films.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
One of these days I will have to test drive a 4 or AWD on a snowy day.
Highly recommend a test drive in the snow of an AWD Subaru - as someone who is a volly at world cup ski races and others and done my share of driving up unplowed mountains in the wee hours of the morning I can tell you there is a really good reason they are the car of choose for the US national Ski team and many others course crew works/officials!!

I have used 4x4 pick ups in the past and actually currently looking at purchasing another but my Subaru will remain with me for travel to ski races. Have been disappointed with to many 4x4 pick ups inability to perform in the snow and there are more than a couple of red faced 4X4 pick up drivers who will confess to having had to be rescued/plucked off a mountain road by a silly little Subaru

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #17

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
Those tall narrow tires cut through the mud and get down to solid ground. Big wide tires have to move too much slop and don't get down through it. Always amazed me what those tall narrow tires on swamp buggies can go through.
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
The big issue with truck 4x4's as I see it is the lack of weight in the rear - pretty common to see pick ups with the box loaded down with big sand bags or cement blocks in ski hill parking lots.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Highly recommend a test drive in the snow of an AWD Subaru -
Will do it for sure.

I just remembered we did rent a Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 when we toured the Okanagan valley. Climbed the road up to Apex to check it out for future skiing possibilities. In those kinds of roads the 4 wheel drive was fun. My sis has a Hummer H2 but have never driven it in the snow.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #20

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I like 4wd trucks for a reason. They assure me I can pull my boat out of the boat launch! My current 4wd is an '01 F-150, and the little woman bought a new ford Escape AWD or 4wd or something like that this past summer. Where we live, they don't plow the roads when school is canceled, and we have a steep driveway. On the other hand, years ago I had an '03 Focus ZX3 with the optional 2.3l motor and 5 speed standard, and that thing was a veritable mountain goat. Many, many years ago we had bought a brand new Chevette just before we moved to Wyoming, and that vehicle went places 4wd's would get stuck!

Fun with cars, vans and trucks...

Frank
Old 10-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #21

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Do we really need 4WD??
I do...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0228.jpg   DSC01343.jpg  

P1010033.jpg  
Old 10-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #22

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Climbed the road up to Apex to check it out for future skiing possibilities. In those kinds of roads the 4 wheel drive was fun. My sis has a Hummer H2 but have never driven it in the snow.
That road to Apex has been the sight of a few pick-up truck driver rescues by my little Subaru We run a small CanAm downhill race for prospect national members every February on that mountain. They stop plowing that road at about 5 pm each day - as you have been on it I am sure you have no problem imagining what a fun ride it can be at 3AM during a big snow dump. As we say in the alpine world Giddy Up! Going up with the Subaru isnt bad ... but admit the going down can get my heart beat up a little bit

Re the Hummer.... hummm if the fact my neighbour who has one cant even get it up the steep little side road by my house is any indication of its ability not sure I would put to much down on a bet on it..... but then again it may be the driver.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #23
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Carol, ever ski Big White? My sis had a time share condo there at the Inn. Drove in there in late September. Not much of a climb. I think it starts at Kelowna and ends 80klm's later at Big White.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Carol, ever ski Big White? My sis had a time share condo there at the Inn. Drove in there in late September. Not much of a climb. I think it starts at Kelowna and ends 80klm's later at Big White.
Yes the Big White Out as we call it! My fav little mountain. My BF has had a townhouse sloop side there for about 15 years. I mostly go there for free skiing as they dont hold any major races. Although on my last visit I get roped into a putting in a day at the races with their kids program as they where short parents with an Official status. The road although a long one and more often than not covered in snow is pretty well kept/plowed as its a bigger resort than Apex. There is one windy steep section near the top that has been known to create a big log jam of cars though - usually someone with summer/all season tires or no driving in snow experience.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #25

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Both of my current vehicles are AWD. I wouldn't want to be without it, either.

When there's ice, or snow packed down to become as slippery as ice (think parking lots), 2WD can have a hard time getting any grip. Well, a set of Blizzaks help with that, but here in Oklahoma who wants to spend for winter tires when winter is so brief? And then when we do get the rare snowstorm, 2WD is all but useless. They don't have much snow removal equipment around here. The last time we had a blizzard (12", followed 3-4 days later by another 8" or so), for days the neighbors were out there shoveling and spinning and shoveling and spinning, whereas with AWD I simply started up, hit the gas and went right on out past them. I pulled several people out of trouble during that time with my AWD and a tow strap. That storm was so bad, for days the grocery stores had no milk or (especially) eggs because the (2WD) delivery trucks couldn't make it... I know so, because my DW sent me out every single day to check for eggs!
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Even though the OP asked about 4wd, a lot of the discussion here has been about AWD, which can be quite different. For example, my wife's Equinox is AWD. Her car will normally operate in 2wd. When the computer senses that there is a lack of traction on one or more wheels, the car will automatically shift into AWD. In her car, the driver has no control over whether the car operates in 2wd or AWD. Now my truck (FJ) is a true 4wd vehicle. Normal operation is in 2wd, but with a shift to the transfer case, the transmission can be switched to either a high or low range 4wd. I also have a switch that will engage a rear differential lock when even greater traction is required. The operation of these two (AWD and 4wd) systems is substantially different. I personally like having the choice of when my vehicle uses 4wd and prefer driving my truck in poor traction situations, although my wife's AWD system works quite well.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #27

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Even though the OP asked about 4wd, a lot of the discussion here has been about AWD, which can be quite different.
Actually all the OP asked was: "Do we really need 4WD??" apparently a few of us think not

Yes AWD and and 4WD can be very different depending greatly on what AWD vehicle you are talking about. Some are true full time AWD and others are only on demand on some wheels - such as what you described your wifes vehicle or variances of that.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #28

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Actually all the OP asked was: "Do we really need 4WD??" apparently a few of us think not
Of course it is not for all, but I love having 4x4.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote