Do we really need 4WD?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Do we really need 4WD??

Enjoy....
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #2

Name: Charlie
Trailer: Casita 13
California
cool...don't build-em like they...etc
olderishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderishguy View Post
cool...don't build-em like they...etc
That's for sure Charlie!

Modern Suburban roll over......
Attached Thumbnails
suburban roll over 45.jpg  
Old 10-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Tougher that that.... See what happens when they try to destroy a Toyota pick-up. Here's part 1 of 4. Be sure to see the part where they drop it in the ocean.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #5

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I had three of these in the seventies and eighties. Guess TG tried fire and hydrostatic lock. Didn't try rust did they? Always seemed to me that the entire exhaust including the manifold rotted off them at least twice in the truck's useful life.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking Modern Suburban Rollover

Cars today are made to crumple instead of being stiff and transferring the shock to the passengers.

I finally noticed that it said Suburban, not Subaru. Getting old is interesting.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I had one of those Toyota Hilux's that I bought for $600, drove HARD for a few years, traded a buddy for a compound bow, and he drove it hard for a few more years. It really did not want to die.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
MC1

Ontario
We live in Canada... ice and snow 4 months out of the year. Have owned over 20 vehicles. None were 4WD and never needed a tow. The best vehicles in ice and snow were the FWD, an Austin Mini and the Nissan Quest which were excellent in winter conditions. One of these days I will have to test drive a 4 or AWD on a snowy day.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
They don't make roads like they used to, either... and I'm grateful!

My dad was fond of saying that the '36 Dodge was the last really good car ever made, and he'd point to the ad they did where they rolled it sideways down a hill and it didn't get more than scratches.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Hmm. That is strange that a Subaru would have Chevy logos on its wheel hubs and side panels.
hummm Roger its a Chevy Suburban not a Subaru
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Canada & Subaru

We traveled in Canada in 2000, Osoyoos (97) to Clear Water, to Edmonton, to Calgary, to Pincher Creek and out at Chief Mountan (6) with our new Subaru. We remarked on how few Subarus we saw and wondered at it because of the Subaru's AWD and Canada's Great White North reputation.

There are a lot of Subarus in the Northwest US because, I suppose, of the on again off again weather we have here and the lack of snow removal equipment like the midwest has. I have never driven our Subaru in slippery conditions, it was my wife's car and I drove another car to work. We always have had stick shift cars and I never had a problem. Back in Wisconsin, I drove through storms where I saw Jeeps stuck. I had one automatic, a 1957 Dodge Coronet with a two speed push button transmission and a hemi engine. That thing would get stuck on the least slippery road. I remember it rocking while sitting at a stop light. It turned out that enough torque was fed to the wheels while stopped that it started the wheels turning without moving the car. Of course, if I had had snow tires that probably would have helped.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #12

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I've seen a lot of Hilux trucks that looked worse than that on in vid still in use in Middle East.

Growing up I was told you only need 2wd and cars are better in snow. Secondly 4wd is to get you out of where you got stuck. I owned 2 cars (teen years) 2 trucks Ford, Jeep now just Jeeps reason solid axles less to brake or go wrong with it. 4wd plus ice means stuck just worse my Comanche pickup is 2wd I took it places where 4wd got stuck. A lot has to do with the driver. I don't need 4wd most of the time but if i do I've got it. I drive slower in my Jeeps than if I was in a car I choose vehicles by multipurpose capabilities. Plus it's easier to get in and out of a truck or Jeep for me I'm not a small or short person. I spend quite some time driving a car without any leg room.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
We traveled in Canada in 2000, Osoyoos (97) to Clear Water, to Edmonton, to Calgary, to Pincher Creek and out at Chief Mountan (6) with our new Subaru. We remarked on how few Subarus we saw and wondered at it because of the Subaru's AWD and Canada's Great White North reputation.
Funny thing is Rodger here in BC's urban areas Subaru's are a REALLY popular car... at least half a dozen on them on my street. Had a friend try for a year to find a used one but failed as they are so popular they go fast when they hit the market - hard to find a good used one on the lot for more than a few hours. The year I purchased my last one the local dealer couldnt get enough in of the new model year to supply the demand. By late September they were back ordered for up to 3 months.

In the area's you traveled I think you will find the Pick Up 4X4's are most definitely the wheels of choose - for many reasons - some practical due to the farm lands and some of it culture/historical based (read good old boys) Not unlike central/eastern Washington areas ;-)
Old 10-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
LOTS of Subarus around Calgary too. Very popular.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #15

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
I'm thinking my beater 2000 dodge dakota could handle anything in those films.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
One of these days I will have to test drive a 4 or AWD on a snowy day.
Highly recommend a test drive in the snow of an AWD Subaru - as someone who is a volly at world cup ski races and others and done my share of driving up unplowed mountains in the wee hours of the morning I can tell you there is a really good reason they are the car of choose for the US national Ski team and many others course crew works/officials!!

I have used 4x4 pick ups in the past and actually currently looking at purchasing another but my Subaru will remain with me for travel to ski races. Have been disappointed with to many 4x4 pick ups inability to perform in the snow and there are more than a couple of red faced 4X4 pick up drivers who will confess to having had to be rescued/plucked off a mountain road by a silly little Subaru
Old 10-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #17

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
Those tall narrow tires cut through the mud and get down to solid ground. Big wide tires have to move too much slop and don't get down through it. Always amazed me what those tall narrow tires on swamp buggies can go through.
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #18

Registry
The big issue with truck 4x4's as I see it is the lack of weight in the rear - pretty common to see pick ups with the box loaded down with big sand bags or cement blocks in ski hill parking lots.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #19
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Highly recommend a test drive in the snow of an AWD Subaru -
Will do it for sure.

I just remembered we did rent a Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 when we toured the Okanagan valley. Climbed the road up to Apex to check it out for future skiing possibilities. In those kinds of roads the 4 wheel drive was fun. My sis has a Hummer H2 but have never driven it in the snow.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #20

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I like 4wd trucks for a reason. They assure me I can pull my boat out of the boat launch! My current 4wd is an '01 F-150, and the little woman bought a new ford Escape AWD or 4wd or something like that this past summer. Where we live, they don't plow the roads when school is canceled, and we have a steep driveway. On the other hand, years ago I had an '03 Focus ZX3 with the optional 2.3l motor and 5 speed standard, and that thing was a veritable mountain goat. Many, many years ago we had bought a brand new Chevette just before we moved to Wyoming, and that vehicle went places 4wd's would get stuck!

Fun with cars, vans and trucks...

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote