do you remember when - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2006, 10:43 PM   #21

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Wasn`t the middle name" Eli"?....Ransom Eli Olds.......oh, and wasn`t the 1964 HP Corvair a "Monza Spyder"? There wasn`t a 4 single barrel carburator set up in '64 although they had a 164 cu. in. super charged mill that cranked out 150 hp with a single one barrel carb .....The Corsa was a 1965-1967 model that only ran for the 3 years I believe....don`t know which model it was in those years (65-67) that ran 180 hp out of a supercharged single one barrel carb...Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:10 PM   #22

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
The Spyder was a single carburater turbo charged model of the 2-carburater version of the 110 HP engine. It developed a 150 HP at 4800 RPM. It was only available with a 3-speed manual transmission.

The 1966 I owned was a custom order that matched 4-carburater naturally asperated 140 HP engine with a 2-speed automatic. It developed about 20% more torque (@2,000 to 3,000 RPM) in the low range than the Mustang and ran about 15 MPH faster (120 to 125) at the top end (redlined at 5600 RPM). It also accelerated faster that the turbocharged Spyder up to about 50 MPH, but couldn't keep up after that.

I used the 1966 to pull a 14 Ft. X 8 ft. Shasta travel trailer for more than two years and 10,000 miles.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 11:35 AM   #23

Trailer: 2002 21.5 ft Bigfoot / 2003 Chevy Duramax 4x4
CD,
My first new car was a '61 Corvair, metallic red, 4-speed. The only way to tell the 4-speed without driving it was by the chrome shift lever. That car made several trips between Kansas, where I was stationed and California. At the time, Chevy TV commercials were hyping the rear-wheel traction of the Corvair by showing it bounding over sand dunes. My first trip home, I headed for the sand dunes. Big mistake.

My second new car was, coincidentally, a '65 Corvair Corsa 4-carb, 4-speed in metallic blue. Great car, and, for its day, a respectable handler.

I never forgave Nader for destroying a fine little car.
Bill Abbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:48 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I found the following on roaring-twenties.com.

The Reo was made in the U.S. from 1904 - 1936. In 1904 the Lansing, Michigan company, known as R.E. Olds Co., was renamed to Reo Car Co. and then Reo Motor Car Co.

The Reo name derives from the initials of Ransom E. Olds who left Oldsmobile to form a new company. The first Reos were single-cylinder 8 hp runabouts with under-floor engines, dummy bonnets, planetary transmissions, and chain drive. They sold for $685, reduced to $500 by 1909. A companion 16hp twin at $1,250 had a capacity of 3.4 litres and a carburetor for each cylinder. These represented the company's main effort up to 1909, though a short-lived four had been marketed in 1906. 1911/12 brought the Reo The Fifth, another 4-cylinder car with 3.7 litre ioe engine, which offered central change and left-hand drive for $1,065.

Reo cars were steady cars right up to the Depression of 1929 - 1931, and the company did very well with their subsequent ioe fours and sixes, which were made with V-radiators during the World War I period. In 1918, 4-cylinder cars sold for $1,225. By 1927 there was a switch to side valves and hydraulic 4-wheel brakes, and in 1928 the company offered the Wolverine, a cheaper car with a Continental engine which sold for $1,195. This was the company's best year with 29,000 sold.

The Wolverine was dropped in 1929, and production centered on two versions of the Flying Cloud. In 1936, the Reo dropped production of private cars. Trucks and buses continued to be made from 1957, as a division of White. A 1967 amalgamation with Diamond T led to a new brand name, Diamond-Reo, and in 1971 this was sold by White to become an independent make.

Source: The New Encyclopedia of Automobiles, 1885 To The Present
Old 02-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #25

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
My grandmother drove a 1910 Hup-mobile in Philadelphia.

It had a tiller centered between and forward of the three passenger seat.

And oh by the way, it was electric.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:23 AM   #26

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Yup,
We're older than dirt also. Pretty close to the age of the rocks from which the dirt eventually came.
We used an outhouse until 1986 ( deluxe though, with electric light, sink, shower,and water heater). It never-the-less operated without flushing and required a trip through the snow in the winter. Our daughter learned to cook and bake with our 16-4 Yale, Buffet pale green/white wood burning stove.
We remember all 25 items on the list. Ann remembers the rag man with a cart pulled by his old horse going down the alley after WWII. Vegetables/fruit were delivered from an old truck weekly. A near-by butcher shop provided meat.
Remember riding "street cars" which received their power via overhead electric lines?
I delivered that milk riding "shotgun" when a young teen-ager. The Divco milk truck was in compound low gear down the center of the street @ 4:30 AM and the driver delivered one side of the street while I did the other side. Milk was taken inside the house through the unlocked back door and put directly into the customers refrigerator ('fridge!). Below zero f temps prevented leaving the bottles outside because the expanding liquid would freeze so fast the bottles would split, particularly when temps reached 10-35 below zero.
In our small cattle-country town, ranchers wearing side-arms could be seen every day but Sunday. The only store open on Sunday was one of the three pharmacies. And they rotated to provide medicine for emergency cases.
Ann and I were raised in very different parts of our country.
When we married, our first phone # was Fr 41686.

Life was less hectic. Mostly because there was not the tremendous bombardment of information, the bulk of which is negative, useless and beyond an individual's ability to respond. Aren't technology and it's advances wonderful? Certainly debatable anyway.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:07 AM   #27

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
My entry into the most compact telephone number: 1561 (I remember it well).
Hybrid, but flush toilets, side by side in the basement for our duplex, making for entertaining noises and embarassing silences.
Going for my regular run to the local milk dispensary with an aluminum container.
Refrigerator: a cabinet next to the wall with a vent to the outside (good for most of the year).
Christmas eve with real candles on the tree but the windows blacked out.
Bicycling across the border to buy an orange (unavailable otherwise).
Being curious about how those new-fangled ballpoint pens worked.
Disappointed when my father sold our '29 Oakland which had been stored and hidden for five years (couldn't afford to put a gas generator on it).
A long time ago.........
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:25 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
My entry into the most compact telephone number: 1561 (I remember it well).
Phone number??? We didn't have no phone number, had a phone, no number. You had to ask the operator to connect you to so and so.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:39 PM   #29

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
>>... there was not the tremendous bombardment of information, the bulk of which is negative, useless and beyond an individual's ability to respond. Aren't technology and it's advances wonderful? Certainly debatable anyway.

Ha! I mis-read your post, and thought you said "Certainly deletable anyway." That is true!
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote