Downsizing - the tiny house trend - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #15

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Saw an episode the other day where they covered half the roof in corrugated PVC panels - the same stuff I have over my patio.
Can't go up there to clean without breaking the panels. Look great when installed, not so great when algae moves in. I've got splits and leaks everywhere, but it's only the patio.
Tiny House is really a comedy of errors.
And, when it comes to costs, they don't factor in the ensuing divorce.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:07 PM   #16

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
All the Tiny Homes I have researched meet all building codes for safety, fire worthiness, etc. The codes they circumvent are the ridiculous and arbitrary size constraints.

Obviously you are part of the industry that feels threatened by common sense.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #17

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Since when is building your own home "re-inventing the wheel"?
Old 02-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #18

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Glenn, Saw an episode the other night that featured the most unique "Flip-Flop Fold out slide" it was designed to increase width...one on each side. Looked like a 10 MPH wind would blow them off!

The series is a situation comedy....should be on the Comedy Network Channel.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #19

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Lyle, You are correct. I spent several decades of my working life in the building industry. I worked on the supply side with manufacturers.
Most remodeling contractors I knew were kept very busy correcting the errors made by would be handyman homeowners who thought the could built it themselves. In the end they ended up spending more than if an honest professional had done the work in the first place.
Professional Home builders learned their trade in college level technical schools specializing in home building and remodeling not from do it yourself TV programs.

The Tiny Home builders are not building a real house but are in fact trying to reinvent the travel trailer using all the wrong materials like heavy wood framing and all the wrong roofing materials. Moving their creations in a heavy rain storm would result in one every wet interior.
Real homes are not built on trailer frames with wheels weighing tens of thousands of pounds.

The program is pure comedy to long time RV owners.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:11 PM   #20

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I think there's a place for tiny houses, travel trailers, park models, modular/manufactured Homes, whatever. It all depends on what you're looking for. Many of the tiny houses are innovative and aesthetically pleasing. I agree that sometimes they haven't been well thought out and it must be difficult to find a place to park one. Trailers (and other RVs) appeal to those who want a nomadic lifestyle and don't want to figure out any systems for themselves. Park models meet all the codes, are relatively inexpensive, and can be permanently installed on the owner's lot or at a community designed specifically for park models. Modular/manufactured homes (we live in one) are smaller than most stick built homes being built nowadays and still provide all the traditional comforts of home. There's something for everybody out there! In general, I believe our houses have gotten WAY too big. Every time we go on an extended trip in our trailer I suffer a kind of culture shock when we come home to all the extra, unneeded space of out 1,100 sq. ft. house!
Old 02-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #21

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Registry
Well, dang! And here I thought the original poster's photo was funny!

My first thoughts were not about the declining state of the USA, nor the right or wrong of a TV program, not the value or usability of Tiny Homes....but, instead how in the world did the guy climb into his "home" without it falling over?

But, it is true I do have a simple mind!

Bill
Old 02-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #22

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
"Oh my gosh. This is sooo cute".
Old 02-15-2016, 04:51 AM   #23

Name: Henry
Trailer: Intend to buy one day.
Florida
Tiny Homes and livability as a movement

Lyle's analysis of the logic and advantages underlying Tiny Homes is compelling. The original picture, as noted, was a humorous reference to an underlying widespread problem. The trend toward Tiny Houses is an offshoot of the "livability movement" (as is some advocacy of full-time living in RV's and travel trailers), which is a reaction to the societal chaos and destruction wrought by modern governmental planning, zoning, and construction mandates. Those with an interest in the subject should read the essay in The Atlantic magazine entitled "Home from Nowhere".
Old 02-15-2016, 12:50 PM   #24

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
When we built our lake cabin 20 years ago ,we built a 1200 sg ft cabin which was the average for that time frame .Today the average laks cabin being built in our rural county is 2200 sg ft.
My 1/2 acre lake lot no longer meets the zoning laws due to new sanitary codes which require larger septic systems increased set backs from the lake and a greater distance between the well and the septic drain field. I do see small structures being built on larger
wooded lots but they are mainly built as deer hunting cabins.
We are looking at purchasing land for deer hunting (40 + acres)
and may purchase a park model trailer as a hunting shack.
Small dwellings have their place and purpose.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Tennessee
A "BIG" home gives the owner "MO SPACE" to accumulate "Mo Stuff" you didn't need in the first place, stuff you no longer use and still keep the same old stuff you refuse to throw away. Ask me how I know?

When I am elected President my first "Executive Order" will be that ALL AMERICAN CITIZENS, ILLEGAL ALIENS & PERMANENT RESIDENTS must move their primary place of residence every 5 years or sooner to avoid forfeiture of your property.

Just think of ALL the new business's, jobs, tax revenue, consumer spending, charitible giving, commercial storage construction and commercial storage rentals for all the junque you previously had at home and everything else associated with MOVING every 5 years or sooner would create to stimulate our economy and Amerian way of life. This just might be the biggest "Revolution" of the 21st Century!

No more hoarding at home and plenty of new subjects for the TV show "Strange Inheritance"! Storage Wars would be a way of life and what a stimulus this would be for the "Tiny Home" movement!
Old 02-15-2016, 01:19 PM   #26

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
A "BIG" home gives the owner "MO SPACE" to accumulate "Mo Stuff" you didn't need in the first place, stuff you no longer use yet the same stuff you refuse to throw away. Ask me how I know?

When I am elected President my first "Executive Order" will be that ALL AMERICAN'S, ILLEGAL ALIENS & PERMANENT RESIDENTS must move their primary place of residence every 5 years or sooner to avoid forfeiture of your property.

Just think of ALL the new business's, jobs, tax revenue, consumer spending, charity giving, commercial storage rental for all the junque you previously had at home and everything else associated with MOVING every 5 years or sooner would create to stimulate our economy and Amerian way of life.

No more hoarding at home and plenty of new subjects for the TV show "Strange Inheritance"! Storage Wars would be a way of life and what a stimulus for the "Tiny Home" movement!
Or you could do like many of my neighbors and build a 40' x 60' two story pole barn with room for expansion. Then again in 5 Years ,no matter what size out building you build , it becomes too small .
Old 02-15-2016, 01:22 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Tennessee
I already have that on my property and yes it is to small!
Old 02-15-2016, 01:29 PM   #28

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
love to see it at a camp sight