In response to some of the very negative comments about Tiny Homes (and the people who like them):
1) Tiny Homes are completely customized, built by the owner themself or to their exact specs. WAY more so than any RV trailer.
2) Tiny Homes offer any building products the owner wishes, can go entirely "green" if you wish. No limits to the finishes used.
3) Tiny Homes offer the asthetics and feelings of a more conventional home. Virtually no particle board/plastics/fiberglass unless you want them.
4) The typical Tiny Home is light
years above the best of the RV trailers in regard to insulation and control of condensation.
5) Tiny Homes are designed and built for more permanent locations. They are easily movable, not intended to take on a two week vacation. Like comparing apples to bananas.
6) You can install any appliances you wish in a Tiny Home, not at all limited to "RV" appliances. You can have as many or as few as the owner deems necessary.
7) Most Tiny Home folks have adopted "on demand" water heaters as standard - makes much more sense to me than being limited to 4 or 6 gallons.
8) Most folks derive immense satisfaction from designing and building their own home - a primal feeling one does not get buying a ready-made trailer.
9) Most Tiny Homes are built by conventional means, so ANY reasonable carpenter or handyman can repair any problems that may occur, the owner is not at the mercy of RV Service Centers and their inflated prices when you encounter a repair you cannot handle yourself. Plus, every town/community has multiple handymen.
10) If one chooses to build thier own Tiny Home, there is virtually NO repair to the home itself that you cannot do yourself. Not so for most folks who buy their more conventional trailer.
11) Allows younger folks, who may be more job mobile, to start their careers in one location and move to another as their career progresses, without starting over with a new home.
12) Finally, you can build a completely serviceable, comfortable, and attractive Tiny Home for the same or less than our eggs new. The exorbitant prices that that TV show quotes are for the homes built by custom builders. The show is about earning big bucks for all involved. Do some better research before passing judgement.
Just a few of the reasons to choose a Tiny Home over a Travel Trailer. They are two very different beasts, meant for very different purposes. About the only commonality they have is a set of wheels, and those are not even necessary for a tiny home. Most of the time they are only there to enable the owner to build something this small - too many government regulations written by the building industry and financial institutions that favor, or should I say REQUIRE, homes to be way larger than is necessary. Bigger is more profitable for these institutions.
I love my Scamp
, very appropriate for frequent travel. That said, if I were looking for a more permanent living arrangement, placing a home on a peice of land that I own, which I may well do in the future, a Tiny Home would be much more appropriate and cost effective for heating, cooling, all round comfort. Especially someplace like here in Michigan.