Freaking Cold - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I recall trying to start a car in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1961 when it was -28º F!
So did the car start? Enquiring minds want to know!
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #22

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I had a SAAB that started on a -25 degree day in Milwaukee in the 1980's.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Global warming predictions rarely happen.
Understanding of course that
a) The O.P's intention doesn't appear to me to be political in nature.
and
b) Most folks really only care about the weather that's happening TO them:

It's important to remember that the word "global" means "worldwide". In point of fact, 2013 has been the warmest year worldwide since temperatures were widely recorded/reported beginning around 1880. Link

And for those of y'all that are getting buried under snow- send some our way! There's been so little here that the Snoqualmie ski season hasn't even begun yet- link
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #24

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
we're getting pummelled with bllizzards, high winds and low temps. today was -30C.
call me crazy but i really don't mind the cold. i'd much rather have it cold than icy.

we've now got as much snow on the ground as we normally have by mid march.
the snowpiles are enormous and the kids, still on christmas vacation til monday,
are having a blast tobogganing and snowboarding.

but i have to give kudos to the snow clearing crews in this darn city because they have consistently been A++++ for all of the 18 years we've lived here. no other city we've lived in has even come close to the exemplary job of keeping roads clear and safe as moncton does.

stay warm everyone. it's a good night to snuggle up to something/someone warm.
if that doesn't work for you, perhaps a hot water bottle would suffice...or a hot toddy.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #25

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I called Al Gore and he said that this is all a figment of our imaginations........LOL

I'm looking for a more pleasant summer this year as this freezing should be
dealing with some of the bug problems we've had before.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #26

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Choose your data range and you can prove anything.

The reality is sea levels have risen an average of 1/2" per year for the last 10,000 years. Sea levels were 400' lower back then. Even 10,000 years is an inadequate sample period, but far better than berry picking recent data.

I suppose the warmist's would be equally comfortable blaming either domesticated cow flatulence (methane) or George Bush for all 10,000 years of that significant change.

Arctic sea ice grew by 60% last year, we have record cold this year, and all the facts don't matter to warmist's who we know falsify and skew data to support their religious beliefs and grant money. Scientific credibility? Consensus? More like religion and faith.

In the top ten reasons for climate change mankind doesn't even make the list.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:21 PM   #27

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
What ever happened to it's freeking cold, or it's not the heat it's the humidity? Or my personal favorite, at least it's a dry heat, hello? that sweat running into my eyes is not "dry".

I have had some very long discussions on global climate with folks holding different views on the subject, don't recall anyone changing their mind or anything really getting resolved. Doubt it will get figured out here. Lots of strong opinions that lead nowhere but to counter post by people holding opposite view.

At least the impossible to resolve debates on towing capacity and trailer tires has something to do with FGRV's and camping. Global warming debate not so much.

Can we go back to the more pleasant topic of sub zero temperatures and the piles of snow?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:07 AM   #28

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Sorry, perhaps we should talk about less controvercial topics,.... Solder vs crimp? or Europian tow ratings....
Attached Thumbnails
Troll Face.jpg  
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:21 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Or, everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:26 AM   #30

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Or, everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.
Well, at minus 14F here in MA, the thing to do about it is hitch up the egg and drive south

Rick
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #31

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
It's even cool here in the south. We are wintering on the coast of GA, and morning temps have been in the 30's. That would be warm if we were back home in NY, but cooler than we want here. Sister in Florida is complaining that it's 65 there.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #32

NE Oklahoma
Brrrrr
Baby it's cold outside.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #33

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
-22 deg here right now. Supposed to get down to -30 deg tonight. Other parts of province are under a wind chill advisory with "feels like" temperatures near -45 deg. Not unusual for this time of year. We have had about a meter of snowfall so far this winter, with probably that much more to come. Think i will go out and buy another shovel.

Dreaming of camping somewhere warm.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #34

NE Oklahoma
39*F here right now.
We having a heat wave.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #35

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Think i will go out and buy another shovel.
I have had to buy two this year, I am wearing them out so fast.

I actually went back to a steel shovel again with the last one, and wonder why I ever went to those darn plastic ones, even the ones with the thin metal edges do not do near the job of cleaning the steel one does.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #36

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Being born and raised in the upper Midwest please excuse my ignorance about the East Coast of the USA . Every time they predict a cold spell or a major snowfall for the East Coast,if you can believe the national news, the local inhabitants go into panic and stock up on food ,alcohol and shovels as if the end of the world is approaching. We are expecting temps in the 25 to 45 Deg F below range with 50 to 70 Deg F below wind chills on Sunday and Monday. When I went to the grocery store this morning to get milk , I and an elderly woman getting a loaf of bread were the only two people in the store .The store clerk said business had been slow all day . Why would East Coasters' react in this manner "assuming" the news stories are correct
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #37

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Steve, I used to wonder about that too, the same with schools closing down after what we would consider a skiff of snow. One thing I found out, is many of these places do not have the equipment to deal with this type of bad weather for one. Plus, they often end up dealing with way more icing which makes roads treacherous. Others in the area could likely provide better details.

I remember a few years ago when Las Vegas (yeah, not east coast) had a 4-6" snowfall, it shut the airport down for a day or so. I was kinda gobstruck, thinking that is nothing, until a local told me that they do not have a single vehicle set up for snow removal, and had to wait for it to melt.

A lot of it comes down to what you are used to dealing with. For us in Calgary, we have just about seen it all. Well, except tropical heat waves, that is.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #38

Connecticut
The low here was 5.4 degrees. I was hoping for colder just because I like the challenge of extreme weather as a test of preparedness. The furnace failed in the house--either gelling or frozen water in the fuel lines. One hot water line is still frozen. Furnace is still not working and not a big concern as we mostly heat with wood.

I was temped to overnight in the camper but my electrical system is probably inadequate to keep the batteries topped up. I have no system in place yet to measure discharge rates like I do on my boat.

I don't even have a wiring diagram. Toning out all the circuits and identifying wire gauges will be a time consuming job better left for spring. I know some wiring upgrades will be needed. I do have space for two more AC breakers--one will be for a small electric heater which will be nice feature--I have a spot picked out to mount one already.

My converter is an obsolete Series 6300 A Option Q which provides a pitiful fix .5 Amp charge rate. I assume my furnace draws more than this on the average. There are drop in replacements each with design flaws. I see some fabricating in the future.

I will be upgrading my charging system, adding a second battery, a pair of solar panels and heavier gauge wire between the battery and charger/converter .

My goal is mostly off grid camping with about 15% camping with services. I am particularly interested in cold weather camping as I have dogs I bring with me. Which was the ultimate reason I did not camp over night--one is an untrained puppy not quite travel ready.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #39

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
We have the equipment to handle the snow as well as plenty of experience, still doesn't stop the grocery stores and gas stations from being mobbed the day before a projected storm. I suppose looking at it optimistically, the grocery might fill up with folks who usually shop on the day or 2 when there will be snow, so maybe you get 3 days worth of folks in one day. Visit the gas station for the extra weight, many filling gas cans for the blowers, and every truck with a plow is there too. I'd blame it on the 7 or so days without power from the Oct of 2011 blizzard, but folks were like this before that. Now thee are just 10 times the generators. Other then those guesses, I have no idea why people do what they do.

Conrad, we got to -11.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:33 AM   #40

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
-22 deg here right now. Supposed to get down to -30 deg tonight. Other parts of province are under a wind chill advisory with "feels like" temperatures near -45 deg. Not unusual for this time of year. We have had about a meter of snowfall so far this winter, with probably that much more to come. Think i will go out and buy another shovel.

Dreaming of camping somewhere warm.
Dave, what sort of humidity levels do you have at these temps? I was wondering if humidity (water vapor) is a significant factor for low temperatures. Water vapor is a much more significant greenhouse gas compared to the much hyped CO2. I just can't see temps getting extremely cold without low humidity. Here in Connecticut humidity levels are probably higher due to our proximity to the ocean.