I've camped almost all my life - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #21

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Raspy: got about 7 or 10 pages in so far, got sidetracked on the Rabies vaccine issue & link (which the link did not get to; as far as I know from 18 years of breeding pugs, you cannot buy rabies vaccines for dogs unless you're a certified vet, and so far that site doesn't offer rabies vaccines for dogs although you can enter it in the search--but all you get are other, normal vaccines...), and lost the site but I'll go back soon...fascinating!

MY attitude, if I had come to your house and you'd have said, "This is Sandy, our coyote puppy," I'd have said, "She's wonderful! Can I pet her?" That's me.

Having raised about 22 litters of pugs over 18 years, (to age 8 weeks and some we still have in their old age), I learned how to handle some things; so far your story sounds like you were doing fine and really needed no advice. The rabies vaccine was always the one unsolved issue--sooner or later you have to see a vet, though I expect the sanctuary would've handled that--I'll find out when I read further.

THANKS for the link, what a wonderful adventure. Your posts are well written and fascinating.

I miss having the puppies around...but having once had 11 at one time (from three concurrent litters--not planned quite that way, but animals have their own agendas sometimes), and being stuck in the house for weeks except for the occasional quick grocery run, I can live without them. But it can be so wonderful with them...and with a coyote! Amazing.

BEST
Kai
Old 07-09-2018, 01:48 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Sandy

So when was Sandy taken to the wildlife sanctuary. Is she/he still there? What ultimately happened/is happening to her/him?
Our friends in Apache Junction tell us about a coyote trying to lure a neighbor's dog into the pack...
It was a hair standing up at the back of the neck experience to have them howling around our RV.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:51 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Red face Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
i dont mess with coyotes not needed. they kill baby cows, sheep and goats here!!
bb
Australia probably would like to have a few coyotes:

Australia's battle with the bunny › Science Features (ABC Science)

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:17 AM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Kai, hope you had the time to finish reading John's story of Sandy, it has to be a 1/million relationship. Roger, I get FB comments from the wildlife sanctuary Sandy went to but have never seen any info of her. John might have some news of how she's doing.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:27 AM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
We went to see Sandy in May. It had been a couple of years and she immediately recognized us. We woke her up and she came running over, whimpering and full of joy.

She and her partner Shorty are in an enclosure together and completely stable. They have dug their own den, have shade and a small little house structure. The whole area is probably about 50' by 30' or so.

She is very friendly to the workers who clean out her area. One or two of them will go in and sit with her, offer a game or a treat. When people walk by she trots along the fence with them. She has never been dangerous in any way and is extremely intelligent.

It's not a life a coyote would choose for herself, but she has never proven that she could hunt successfully and is not fit for release. At the same time, she is extremely healthy and emotionally stable, so she is excellent for study. Being at Southwest, she has excellent health care, good food, a life partner and shelter. Early on, some work was done to learn more about her and to make sure she was stable in captivity. During all that, everyone was amazed at her friendly demeanor and how smart she is.

We didn't trap her or keep her penned up when she was with us. We rescued her from near death and nursed her back to health. She was always free to go, but loved us and wanted to live here with us. She brought an enormous amount of joy and a unique experience of getting to know a dog from the wild. Her story on tractorbynet chronicles her development and relationship with us and it is a wonderful story. The depth of her intelligence, sense of humor, respect for pack structure and caring, are impressive. She fit into our family like a domestic dog. It was very difficult to put her in captivity at Southwest Wildlife, but it had to be.

As far as hearing coyotes at night, I really enjoy it. They are often close by and singing their song, but I won't let our dog out when they are near. They are very shy and we never get a glimpse of them. I quietly slip out the door as they are calling and wait outside until they are very close. I turn on a flashlight and they go silent. Once in a while we or a neighbor will catch a glimpse of one during the day. They are around, but cat-like in their ability to go un-noticed. It's really funny how careful they are to not be noticed, but will sing and yip as loud as they can in the middle of the night, full of joy as they run free.
Attached Thumbnails
unnamed-6.jpg  
Old 07-09-2018, 07:05 AM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
John, what a great story and special relationship! Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:17 AM   #27

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
???

"Go now before some fruit loop decides we’re wasting gas or something and outlaws RVs of any sort."

You don't live in Flint, do you Steve?
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #28

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
???
???
Old 07-09-2018, 11:19 AM   #29

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
anyone read Scotties castle story out in the desert?

bob
YES and I've toured the castle twice. This last February it was still closed. The road to it was completely gone. I'm not sure whether it's this year or next that they plan on opening it up again.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:47 AM   #30

Registry
Hi, yes, read more about Sandy and VERY glad for the update.

What a story! What an adventure!

It makes me sad in a way, but I'm glad she's doing so well and has a mate and interaction with the keepers. THANKS for the story and latest.

BEST
Kai
Old 07-09-2018, 11:58 AM   #31

Registry
Roger CH: What I can't understand is why the Australian dingoes didn't keep the rabbits down? Not enough dingoes? Dingoes didn't want to take the bunnies? Too many rabbits? As it was, they imported an illness (myxoma) that wiped them nearly out...now it's illegal to even own a pet rabbit in Australis, according to my long-time pen-pal from Queensland. And the rabbits that did survive are now increasing tremendously again. I hear they have a toad problem, too. Funny place down under there.

A local wild coyote nearly killed my friend's cat...but dropped him and ran when my friend stepped outside.

I've seen coyotes loose around here, often in the fog...at first you think it's a dog but then (and you can drive right next to them) you realize that is NO DOG.

Kai
Old 07-09-2018, 07:03 PM   #32

Smith Valley, Nevada
Kai,

I took a picture of my neighbor one day while Sandy was still living with us. Sandy was in the background, as she was usually running around like a pet dog whenever we were outside. Always curious and trying to start a game of keep-away or something. The picture went to our neighbor's son and he immediately texted right back, very excited. Mom! There was a coyoye right behind you!!!. We laughed and laughed.

Then, we went camping in Death Valley with Sandy. Her and our other dog BeiBei. A family from Eastern Europe happened to be visiting there too and their young son shouted "Look! A coyote!!"

Another neighbor came by one day and after the typical cautious introduction of standing off to evaluate the situation, Sandy came over and jumped up into his lap and put her paws on his shoulders. He had never been close to a coyote before and here was one in his lap, face to face and climbing on him. He is a gentle dog lover and Sandy seemed to know it.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:58 PM   #33

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
John, thanks for the update on Sandy, glad to hear she's doing well. BTW, I've got coyotes talking in the distance right now. Every once in a while, while I'm out in the garage with the door open, one will sound off 15' from the door. Not sure if he's smiling as he trots off or just messing with me .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:57 AM   #34

Smith Valley, Nevada
Dave,

I love to hear them and just last night they were right outside. Very loud. I couldn't see them though. It's always a mystery how many there are. Seems like a lot of them, but maybe only two. Meanwhile, the dogs get very alert or start barking. I calm them and spend time by the window.

It's dark. A warm summer night. The gentle breeze whispers through the pinions and the sage. Sometime after 12 is the magic time. The high desert is alive. The windows are open. The silence is loud. And the song dogs are making their rounds. They're wild, free and possibly dangerous. But they are part of the landscape and the community. So are the mountain lions, the rabbits and the bears. These things in the city would cause panic, but here, they are our wild neighbors.

It still amazes me that there could be so much joy, humor, love, curiosity, sense of family, will to live and trickiness in a random wild coyote. It's endearing beyond description.

I hope they come by and sing their song, again, tonight.