Love him or hate him - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
This should be posted in all schools and work places
<div align="center">
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT00000.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	22920

</div>
Love him or hate him, he sure hits the nail on the head with this! Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School about 11 things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.

Rule 1: Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule 2 : The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3 : You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4 : If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5 : Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life...

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time....

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

PS: I’m told that “Bill Gates” is probably NOT the author. I decided to leave this because it is in the Jokes and Stories and the points are well taken. Sorry for the errors.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Excellent post.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. [b]Chances are you'll end up working for one.
I did.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:27 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
No matter the original source, still good advice!

From Snopes.com:

"This list is the work of Charles J. Sykes, author of the 1996 book Dumbing Down Our Kids: Why American Children Feel Good About Themselves But Can't Read, Write, Or Add. (The list has appeared in newspapers, although not necessarily in this book. It does, however, form the meat of his 2007 book 50 Rules Kids Won't Learn in School: Real-World Antidotes to Feel-Good Education.) Many versions omit the last three rules:
Rule No. 12: Smoking does not make you look cool. It makes you look moronic. Next time you're out cruising, watch an 11-year-old with a butt in his mouth. That's what you look like to anyone over 20. Ditto for "expressing yourself" with purple hair and/or pierced body parts.

Rule No. 13: You are not immortal. (See Rule No. 12.) If you are under the impression that living fast, dying young and leaving a beautiful corpse is romantic, you obviously haven't seen one of your peers at room temperature lately.

Rule No. 14: Enjoy this while you can. Sure parents are a pain, school's a bother, and life is depressing. But someday you'll realize how wonderful it was to be a kid. Maybe you should start now. You're welcome.

Advice columnist Ann Landers has printed the first ten items (uncredited) several times, and the list has been used by radio commentator Paul Harvey. The prize for misattribution, however, has to go to The Atlanta Journal and Constitution, which printed the list twice in three weeks in mid-2000, the first time crediting it to "Duluth state Rep. Brooks Coleman of Duluth," and the second time to Bill Gates."
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:35 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Rule #9 & #14

My daughter starts her senior year of high school in just a bit more than two weeks. I told her this past June to enjoy her summer. Sleep in as long as she wanted, stay up as late as she wanted, and play a lot! For this was going to be the last three months of her life... for many, many years, she was welcome to do as she pleased (within reason of course). For next June, her life would change dramatically. Gone would be those totally carefree days/nights. When she starts working, she'll find out exactly how precious free time becomes.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum.... I can SEE retirement now. Just getting there is the hard part!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
good posting, i enjoyed reading it
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
All great advice! Now let's just hope they "get it".................................

And when someone finds the way to drill it in to those stubborn ones, please share the technique, I know a few adults that need a refresher course.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote