mourning the loss.... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2019, 04:17 PM   #21

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: jerrybob... After camping there's always... laundry!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Especially if you have two 65+ lb dogs who like the water.....have fun...be safe.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:54 PM   #22

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Now, for "the rest of the story".....

It so happened that my dear son asked my wife and me, about a month ago, if we would like him to buy us a new washing machine for Christmas. I had told him no, because our May was running just fine. (And I really wanted to see how long she'd go... maybe 40 or 50 years?)

So..... when I was bailing water out of May by hand on Saturday, a quick consult with the wife led me to call my son on the phone and ask him, "Is it possible that Christmas might come in September?" He knew immediately what I meant, and asked when we wanted to go shopping for a replacement. Which was the next day!

Backing up a bit.... some time back, maybe 3-4 years ago, I researched and determined that Speed Queens were still built pretty well, with mechanical switches and minimal electronics. I said back then (to wife, but adult son and adult daughter heard it too) that if we ever got a new washer, it should be a Speed Queen. My son took that to heart and (being an engineer, and having done some research of his own) bought himself a SQ just about a year ago.

So of course, his idea was that he would buy us a SQ as well! Although, I did decide to opt for a TC5 instead of a TR5 like his, because of some reviews that the new-design TR didn't agitate well enough to satisfy some folks (its agitator and tub move in unison... weird). The "C" in TC stands for "Classic" design.

On Thursday, the appliance guys came, took old May outside to their 'hearse,' and brought in & 'installed to office' (so to speak) Her Majesty the Queen. I came home from work and promptly inundated her with 3 loads of laundry. She seems all prim and proper, and with a 10-year warranty "pedigree" she's definitely a suitable successor to the laundry room... even though she'd never fit on the 'throne.'

It's nice to have royalty working for me!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:49 AM   #23

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
God bless the queen....love a happy ending!!! Can't wait for the movie! LOL!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:08 AM   #24

Name: David
Trailer: Casita
New York
We also lost our washing machine at the age of 33. It was a Montgomery Wards built by May Tag. My wife cried when we took it to the recycle center.
David Marowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:27 AM   #25

Name: Pete
Trailer: Burro Wide Body 17ft.
Nebraska
In the 1970’s when we first were married, we bought a used Sears dryer, it was a 1967 model. It dried our clothes and the children’s diapers over those years. The only thing I had to replace was the belts to turn the drum, I replaced a number of them. Finally in 2010 the motor burned out. We replace our loyal Sears 1967 model with another Sears. Hopefully it will last another 43 years or until I finally run out!
Pete J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:07 PM   #26

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
I'm a "second-hand Rose" kind of guy. When I moved into this house 20-years ago it was set up for gas... and I had electric, so I bought a "pre-owned" GE dryer for $50.

Fast forward to last week: I was expecting a visit from an old friend Monday, so I washed and dried the guest room sheets, a blanker, and a comforter just so they would be fresh. Then I did another load of clothes and the dryer died. No heat. I did a little research and it appeared to be most likely the ignition coils. A cheap fix at $10 and an hour's work.

I ordered the coils and removed the old ones. No joy. The coils were so old that they were obsolete and no longer made. I cancelled the order for the new (wrong) coils and looked for another dryer on craigslist.

I found a gently used one for $60. It works great! I should be good for another 20 years!

So, my guest was getting ready to leave this morning, and I made him a cup of coffee with my Keurig coffee maker. Then I made myself a cup. Or I tried. No joy. The Keurig died.

The timing was perfect on both fails, and very amusing.

Only first-world problems for me. It's all good.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #27

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete J View Post
In the 1970’s when we first were married, we bought a used Sears dryer, it was a 1967 model. It dried our clothes and the children’s diapers over those years. The only thing I had to replace was the belts to turn the drum, I replaced a number of them. Finally in 2010 the motor burned out. We replace our loyal Sears 1967 model with another Sears. Hopefully it will last another 43 years or until I finally run out!
Your newest Sears dryer lasted longer than Sears!
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:28 PM   #28

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete J View Post
Hi: Pete J... Sounds like Ken More met the same fate as May Tag!!!
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:44 PM   #29

Name: Pete
Trailer: Burro Wide Body 17ft.
Nebraska
Quote:
Hi: Pete J... Sounds like Ken More met the same fate as May Tag!!!
Agree! Those old “tank” appliances really held up. Everything made today is purposely designed to be junk in a few years. I love our fiberglass trailers that all of us own, they have their problems sometimes. I belong to other camping groups, and you would be amazed and stunned hearing about complaints about brand new stick-built units on how cheaply they are made, fall apart, things that go terribly wrong on their maiden camping trips, and worst of all the service they get from their dealers. Ken More and May Tag, a marriage that lasts!
Pete J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #30

Name: Brad
Trailer: Interested
Montana
Please except my condolences on your loss

I want to add some soap to the wash.First let me say I owned a May.I freed her from slavery and she was so happy that she worked for me for many years.I fed her often and she worked hard.Eventually she passed on and we were very upset.I could not stand to bury her so we had a delivery driver hall her off when we got our new queen.
We looked hard for a new May but decided that a green card was not long enough time to import her as we wanted something that would be with us many years.As our children had left the house the queen knew the work would be less and signed on for what we hope to be many more years of happiness.God save the Queen!!
Montana Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:34 AM   #31

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
Sorry to hear Mike....must be very agitating to loose such a friend....your head must be just spinning...RIP May.
You guys are a hoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
I'd never go to another front loader again either. It shook so bad it cracked our room and we had to have the floor reinforced with posts underneath. Queen and I have worked together for 4 years now without a problem.
Our 21 year-old front loader was hopping around on the spin cycle this year so I consulted the oracle of the internet. Fortunately, for every problem of this nature, someone has posted a step by-step repair video. It turns out that front loaders have air shocks that fail over time; who knew? Now, with $25 invested in parts and a one-hour session of appliance-repair yoga, I've put off that dreaded day when I will have to replace our machine.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #32

Montana
Reincarnation Possible ?

Unfortunately my May could be in China and could have been reincarnated as a steel urinal-that would be sad.But because we all know China LIES we will never know the truth!
Old 06-07-2020, 12:36 PM   #33

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Brad View Post
Unfortunately my May could be in China and could have been reincarnated as a steel urinal-that would be sad.But because we all know China LIES we will never know the truth!
Perhaps, but one doesn’t have to look across an ocean to see that China does not have a monopoly when it comes to LYING.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:02 PM   #34

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Perhaps, but one doesn’t have to look across an ocean to see that China does not have a monopoly when it comes to LYING.
What I said was meant to be a joke!
Old 06-07-2020, 07:20 PM   #35

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Brad View Post
What I said was meant to be a joke!
Same here!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:53 PM   #36

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Barbara...

Hi: All... Decided it was time to replace Barbara Q. She was still warming but the spark just wasn't there!!! Doing my best Co-vivid distancing while wearing a mask to do your shopping feels strange. She came well built and arrived in style but we couldn't connect right away. Seems she's a bigger size than our old Barbie Q but she really sizzles when she's hot, and cookin' with gas. Got her all decked out with new spicy dressing too!!!
Attached Thumbnails
20200527_141407.jpg   20200527_161922.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:16 AM   #37

Montana
Quote:
Hi: All... Decided it was time to replace Barbara Q. She was still warming but the spark just wasn't there!!! Doing my best Co-vivid distancing while wearing a mask to do your shopping feels strange. She came well built and arrived in style but we couldn't connect right away. Seems she's a bigger size than our old Barbie Q but she really sizzles when she's hot, and cookin' with gas. Got her all decked out with new spicy dressing too!!!
My condolences on Barbara Q.Maybe with some luck my May was reincarnated as your new Barb.May really liked food and that would be fitting for her.