Musicians and self-control - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #1

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
For those of us who learned English as a second language it is not hard to identify with the problems of learning new ways of expression. It is well known that transitioning from the Japanese language has its own peculiar perils, including the pronunciations of "L" and "R".

True story, as told me by a retired member of our local orchestra:
A young and talented player had been hired away from a Japanese orchestra to play in ours. After the season opener she joined many of the players at a local restaurant to celebrate. Asked what she thought was the difference between Japanese and American audiences she answered with enthusiasm: "Here they crap and crap and crap and crap! Vely roud!"

According to my source this was met with stony silence. No one cracked a smile.

Such self-control should be an object lesson to us all, I think. But.....I'm glad I wasn't there.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:45 PM   #2

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Such self-control should be an object lesson to us all, I think. But.....I'm glad I wasn't there.
Yup, that would take some self control. I'm glad I wasn't there too.

Thanks, great story.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Per,
I saw the reference to this day before yesterday, but didn't actuallly take the time to read it until now.
Thanks for sharing it. I wonder how many other similar stories there are with mis-understood "foreign" accents or expressions.
I also doubt if I'd had enough self control not to at least chuckle a little. Can you imagine explaining the reason, if some had laughed, without embarrassing her? That might have instigated even more hilarity.

Kurt & Ann K.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:53 AM   #4

Name: Des and Diane (D & D)
Trailer: Boler 1300, 1977 (#2033, "L EGGO")
Ontario
Quote:
For those of us who learned English as a second language it is not hard to identify with the problems of learning new ways of expression. It is well known that transitioning from the Japanese language has its own peculiar perils, including the pronunciations of "L" and "R".
Yes, in my former life as a travel agent I once served a young lady wanting stopovers in "Ros Angeres and Honoruru" on her way home.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:50 AM   #5

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
My daughter (member of an orchestra returning to the Paris airport from a South America tour last month) overheard the following in the airport from a Japanese member of the group when he spied a particularly attractive female in the crowd: "Ooo Ra Ra!!!"

At this point her self-control slipped.