Old Cars, Trailers, and Camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #1
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Old Cars, Trailers, and Camping

I get a kick out of seeing these old pics from the old days. I recognize a few of those vintage cars that were similar to what my dad owned "back in the day".

1949 Ford
1955 Plymouth
brown 1961 Ford

Camping In The Old Days
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Wow, that brings back a lot of memories. And I was not even there!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Thanks Wayne. I always find your posts fun to read. Although the RV industry has come a long way, you can see the same enthusiasm in the faces of the people in these pictures.

My first memory of the family car was about 1952. I was 2 years old and stood on the front seat between Mom and Dad. The car was a 1949 Ford with a split windshield. Mom had her hands full with my baby sister. My Dad had great sense of humor. Every once in a while he would let go of the wheel and tell me "Take over Tommy, I have to blow my nose". The first time he did it, we were rolling down the highway at a pretty good clip. I was shocked! I protested "I don't know how to drive!!" He laughed and said "Relax, you're doing fine." It took him forever to get his handkerchief out and use it. My little knuckles were white! After an eternity, he'd take the wheel and tell me what a great job I did. Years later I learned he was actually steering with pressure from his thigh on the wheel.

When I was 4, Dad took me car shopping and asked for advice. He laughed out loud when I told him I hoped we'd get one of those modern cars with a full length windshield. We ended up with a '54 Chevy Bel Air, which fit the bill. It made my job of driving from the center of the car much easier.

The family grew quickly. In 14 years, I had 8 more brothers and sisters. Owning an RV was out of the question, but we settled for renting cabins on the lake or in the woods. I envied the families that had a home they could take anywhere they wanted.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Thnxs Tom... and boy did our lives parallel. My dad's 1st car was a black 1949 Ford. He got it just before I was born and I have a sister 2 years younger.

His 2nd car was a 53 Ford. In the pic below is his brown 61 Ford. The good looking fellow on the right is me.
Attached Thumbnails
mallard   1963.JPG  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Good stuff Wayne. Our '49 Ford was black as well. The '54 Chevy was a 2-tone powder blue and white.

Good looking family ready for adventure! I'll bet you have fond memories in that trailer.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #6

Name: Greg(lee) and katie
Trailer: Parkliner
Virginia
Wow does this bring back memories! On the second page ( vintage campgrounds) were 3 pictures of the Red Coconut Trailer park on Ft. Myers Beach. Our parents bought a 15'w/front overhanging bunk Trotwood In 1960. We traveled from VA each Christmas break for 3 weeks
on the beach for the next 7 years. That trailer started my love of trailer traveling and happily my wife has embraced it too.
Long trips are great in the 5th wheel but weekend/one week stays in the Parkliner are fantastic!
Thanks for the link. Great memories.

Lee
wandererlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #7

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Some of those old trailers kind of look like fifth wheelers. Did the tow cars have trailer hitches coming up out of the trunk or something?