Snow Play in New England (true story) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2017, 07:44 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Snow Play in New England (true story)

Had an interesting day last Friday, Our Asian friends form NY called about 9;00AM to ask if we would come down and take them to a ski area, where they could rent equiptment...They never been on the slopes before.
When we got to the house there was not only our friends family of 2 kids, 10 and 7 year, but thier 3 cousins from 9 to 14 years old. So 5 kids and 2 adults going to a ski area on school vacation to be on skis for the first time...OH BOY

Took them to K--g P--e, in New Hampshire, because that is where our grandkids learned to ski,15 yrars ago, and I knew they had a kiddy slope.

After about 90 minutes of getting tickets and equiptment for all of them, who's consept of the english language, not to mention the ski lingo, is limited, we got them outside only to watch them not be able to go at all.
They do not usually give first time skiers poles for fear that they may stab other people but I went in and got them all poles and they shuffled around the flat ground and fell down alot.
The wife and I had to constently pick them up and get them on there skis again and push some of then where they want to go.

I directed them over to the kiddy slope with the Magic Carpet, like a moving side-walk up the slope and they decided that was not for them so again way to the other end of the ski area to the Tow-Rope.
After one of the kids got on and fell within 4 feet of the bottom the woman running the tow told them to go over to the Magic Carpet to learn first...

Now all this time Barb and I are picking up fallen skiers.
We get them back over to the kiddy slope and they all get to the top some how, and right away 2 fall down on the level ground at the top.
I run up the slope and get then on thier skis again and not a one exept the parents and the little girl makes it down.
The other 4 boys ranging in weight of 100 to 150 lbs fall down about 3 times going the 100 feet of kiddy slope.

After about 6 runs on the kiddy slope they decide to try the Tow Rope again...What a disaster...
Before I can talk any sense into them one is already half way up only to fall and of course now on a steeper slope even with a ski off, can not get up....I run the 300 feet up the slope and get him away from the rope thinking others will want to get by and the others are, you guess it all OUR group who are falling like dominos'.
You'ld swear there was someone shooting them with a machine gun and Barb and I were the medics trying to get them on thier feet again.

Got the first person up and let him go with instruction to just FALL if he is going to hit someone...I failed to tell him to fall if he was going to hit the building, well, he did wiping out 3 ski outfits that people leave outside while inside,warming up.
No time to tend to him...Barb will get him.....Others on the rope need clearing out,,,,What a mess.....

Back to the kiddy slope...

By now I have re-injured my dislocated shoulder and torn bisept muscle and am quite disgusted with the whole deal and it is snowing.......hard.
Barb and I taught all how to take off there skis, in case they fall and we retreated to get a coffee and watch out the window for about an half hour, with Barb muttering "Gerry I've had it".

They all came in and the poor kids all but the baby girl, who by the way was the best skier, was all beat up but mostly the big complaint was the boots cut into them too tight but...get this all they had on for socks were ankle socks...GEEEEZ.

Now the coffee and hot cocoa cost me $5.45 and they came in and all 7 of them ate a big full meal of pizza, corn dogs,,hot dogs, french fries and chicken nuggets with drinks...Think about what this cost him...

Now the exiting part...
Big Nor'Easter storm and we're driving in it......on back road around the lakes of Eaton and window starts to ice up.
I reach out and try to snap the wipper to clear ice and sanp...SNAP is right... windshild wipper goes flyng off and it's still about 4 miles to Conway.
We make it to town and in the light of town try to change passenger to driverside and snap...SNAP..Those cheap son-of a -B...tch wipers now another 3 milse to Wal*Mart with no wipers at all and now we are on RT 16 with traffic going 40 MPH into a Nor'Easter wind....
Go in and Barb has to Sh..T right away and I am looking for the wippers that will fit.
Finally get some and we stand out in the snow under a light with snow now about 9 inches deap trying to get them on.

Finally...finally we're on the road again and remarkably with wipers on I feel like it's driving on a clear summer day.
Told Barb maybe I should slow down just because I can see doesn't make the roads any better.

Get home to a 2 ft snow bank in front of drive way but am too tired and sore and hungry to deal with it so over The banking, we go and make it in the driveway.

Had pizza and 2000 mg of ibuprophin for supper and was in bed by 8:00

What a day.

OH forgot to tell you...they want us to go again Saturday, only tubbing....Barb said no...alittle to quick and got a funny look from them but they invited us to go out for supper we said "
"Maybe"
We didn't because I was 4 hours clearing snow from yard.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I hope the rest of the year is a lot better than this. Can't wait to hear more about it in person at the Spring Fling.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:55 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Our local ski park has a "beginners package" that includes a lift pass, equipment, and several hours of group instruction. It's fairly reasonable, though the lift pass is restricted to lower slopes. Don't know if that's a common option, but it got me started and allowed my more experienced friends to do their own thing that day.

It may not have helped in this case, but at least an instructor would be doing all the picking up and you'd be enjoying your own hot chocolate. Nevertheless, bully for you for letting them have the experience.

I hosted an intern from South Asia many years ago. When we got 2' of snow, it was his first ever experience with the white stuff. More than anything he wanted to try driving in it. I made a token attempt to dissuade him, knowing he would not get far in his huge boat of an older RWD Buick with an open rear axle and all-season tires. He didn't, and after we had manhandled it back into the driveway, he says, "Can I borrow your 4x4?"

I insisted on driving to a wide open, unplowed parking lot for his winter driving initiation.

I agree... windshield wipers are often the weak link in winter driving, even with fresh winter (enclosed) blades. Short of a full electrically heated windshield, I've always thought they would do a lot better if the place where they park at the bottom of the glass were heated. On most vehicles they park below the reach of the defroster, so ice builds up as you drive.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #4

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
You said that their English was weak but still one important word was missing: LESSONS!!

I believe that for most folks skiing is counterintuitive ("What?? You lean down the hill??") Even when things like that are explained it often takes an instructor to find a way to help you to follow instructions that you are at peace with. (That's a terrible sentence but I'm too lazy to fix it.)
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:48 PM   #5

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Our local ski park has a "beginners package" that includes a lift pass, equipment, and several hours of group instruction. It's fairly reasonable, though the lift pass is restricted to lower slopes. Don't know if that's a common option, but it got me started and allowed my more experienced friends to do their own thing that day.

It may not have helped in this case, but at least an instructor would be doing all the picking up and you'd be enjoying your own hot chocolate. Nevertheless, bully for you for letting them have the experience.

I hosted an intern from South Asia many years ago. When we got 2' of snow, it was his first ever experience with the white stuff. More than anything he wanted to try driving in it. I made a token attempt to dissuade him, knowing he would not get far in his huge boat of an older RWD Buick with an open rear axle and all-season tires. He didn't, and after we had manhandled it back into the driveway, he says, "Can I borrow your 4x4?"

I insisted on driving to a wide open, unplowed parking lot for his winter driving initiation.

I agree... windshield wipers are often the weak link in winter driving, even with fresh winter (enclosed) blades. Short of a full electrically heated windshield, I've always thought they would do a lot better if the place where they park at the bottom of the glass were heated. On most vehicles they park below the reach of the defroster, so ice builds up as you drive.
Option on the Subaru Outbacks I have seen is front and rear Wiper heaters. Basically the rear defroster element has an extra spot where the wiper rests, and there is an element on the bottom of the windshield where the front wipers park.

I have seen a VW Eurovan rear defroster set up the same way.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #6

Arizona
Registry
That's exactly what I was thinking. I wonder how well it works. I really don't care about the back; the front at the base of the windshield is where snow and ice build up as you drive and require frequent stops to clear.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:08 AM   #7

Wife insists that the little vents that come up on the outside over the fire-wall of engine is a place where the heat of the engine will come up and do the job....I never seen this vent help, but then, why are they there.?.
As far as the lessons, my friends have no intentions of learning how to ski and will probably never go again but they wanted to try and I pat the on the back for that.
I tried it once back in the 60's with old wooden skies and spring type bindings and that was enough for me....
Old 01-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
That day sounded like a 3 ring circus, complete with clowns!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:09 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Gerry you and your wife did great. You got four kids out from behind a computer/phone screen for a day and they enjoyed the great outdoors. On top of that they want to go back again.
I don't really ski but worked with the Winter Special Olympics at four meets. I was a picker-up/ pointer. Pick the kids up and point them down the slope. The first day can be really exhausting but the second day was always very rewarding after the kids figured out skiing and actually compete with one another.
I had 200 mi. return trip from Winter Special Olympics much like yours. It took 18 hours to get home with numerous car problems. I feel your pain on those issues.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:48 AM   #10

Eddie, my hat off to you,I think people who work to make life alittle normal for all children are special angels themselves.
God Bless you and the children.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:53 AM   #11

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
In my earlier years, I taught skiing at a small hill. We started folks out, without poles, on the flat surface. The idea is to get used to those boards on your feet. Then we'd work our way up to going on a slight slope, hands on knees, pizza slice skis, learning to stop. Then maybe how to turn. By the end of the first lesson, folks were usually starting to go up the beginner hill on the rope tow.

I can't begin to count the number of people who tried skiing once, without lessons and hated it. I would tell students that the first day would be the hardest, but once that was over, they'd love to ski. That almost always was the case. A lot depends on how strong the legs are.

I'd suggest trying again, but with a lesson--and that might mean no ski poles at first. The reason for no poles is to learn to work your skis with your lower body--not by swinging your arms and flailing--which poles seem to encourage.

Be kind to the lift people. I also worked a winter loading folks on the beginner chair and got clobbered with poles and knocked over by the beginners. The chairs are easier to get onto where they have the high speed lifts because the chairs slow way down to get on, and then zoom away.

Lessons are worth it, if you are serious about learning to ski.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:55 AM   #12

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Oh, South Park has a cute episode about kids learning to ski while their folks are in time share lecture hell. Pizza. Fries. Pizza. Fries.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry
That was exactly my experience. First time out, my friends tried to get me started, but they hadn't the experience with how to teach skiing, and of course, they wanted to get it over with quickly so they could ski. I had a bad experience.

Second time, years later, I politely declined my friends' well-meaning offers to help me and signed up for the half-day lesson. Oh, the difference! By early afternoon I was able to join my friends on some of the gentler slopes on the big mountain.

Ski instructors rock! Mine were former high school math students, so it was a fun exchange of roles.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:31 PM   #14

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking. I wonder how well it works. I really don't care about the back; the front at the base of the windshield is where snow and ice build up as you drive and require frequent stops to clear.
Works like a charm, just bought a 2014 Outback a couple weeks ago and didn't know it was an option until I did, rear window, front wipers and side mirrors all work on rear switch and shut off after 15 min so you don't cook 'em then just press it again. Used them in the storm the OP mentioned (45 min from his location) and it works awesome.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:16 AM   #15

Remembering my first try at the wood skis bound to my big clod-hoppers.
Found the 6 foot, wooden skis, at a church bizzar I was elected, by Srs Mary, to set up when I was about 12 years old and took them to the local golf course.
Had my older brother strap them on and with 3 alder sticks in my hand down the hill I went,,,,,for a while.....
Ends up with me on my side 3/4 the way down, with my legs not in very comfortable positions but all in one peice.
The next weekend found me building a sled with those 2 skis.
Much to my surprise now thinking about it, it stayed together most of the day even after ending up down in some deep sand traps.