Someone I'll never forget - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #1

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Someone I'll never forget

Many many many years ago I was traveling across country with my son who was 11 (he is now 30) - I had a 1990 Pontiac Trans Sport Mini Van equipped with an ac/dc tv/vcr, a place for him to lie down in the back, a ton of gear and our cat Purricane. We were towing our 1978 Scamp like we had done a dozen times before from Texas to New England back.

One particular night, late, we pulled into a truck stop somewhere in mid Tennessee where they had an all night Subway and went into get a sandwich. While we were sitting there eating (we stood out like a sore thumb being the only ones who weren't truck drivers) a man approached us and asked if that was our camper... I said yes, and then he asked if we were alone... I was hesitant answering being a woman with just a kid and a cat with me but he went on to say how much respect he had for me to travel like that with my son and what a great relationship we must have.

After a short conversation he gave me his name and pager number (no cell phones in those days) and told me if I ever, ever, ever, needed anything, to page him and he would call me right back. He said he knew truckers all over the country and no matter where I was someone would find me and help me. It was the sweetest gesture.

I no longer carry the same wallet that I did all of those years ago but his name and pager number is still in the one that I did.

Jaye
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #2

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Nice Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye580 View Post
Many many many years ago I was traveling across country with my son who was 11 (he is now 30) - I had a 1990 Pontiac Trans Sport Mini Van equipped with an ac/dc tv/vcr, a place for him to lie down in the back, a ton of gear and our cat Purricane. We were towing our 1978 Scamp like we had done a dozen times before from Texas to New England back.

One particular night, late, we pulled into a truck stop somewhere in mid Tennessee where they had an all night Subway and went into get a sandwich. While we were sitting there eating (we stood out like a sore thumb being the only ones who weren't truck drivers) a man approached us and asked if that was our camper... I said yes, and then he asked if we were alone... I was hesitant answering being a woman with just a kid and a cat with me but he went on to say how much respect he had for me to travel like that with my son and what a great relationship we must have.

After a short conversation he gave me his name and pager number (no cell phones in those days) and told me if I ever, ever, ever, needed anything, to page him and he would call me right back. He said he knew truckers all over the country and no matter where I was someone would find me and help me. It was the sweetest gesture.

I no longer carry the same wallet that I did all of those years ago but his name and pager number is still in the one that I did.

Jaye
Nice Story
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:16 PM   #3

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Isn't it funny....normally, we would all be leery of such an offer. After all, you were a single woman with a child....vulnerable. But you choose to see it as a positive, for which I applaud you. I, too, would have seen it the same way. I have been told over the years that I am too trusting. Guess that is why I, without reservation, invite FGVRs to overnight in our driveway here at our home. But being on the road, without a "strong male" to be your protector, it is admirable that you didn't freak out but instead chose to embrace his offer.

It all comes down to trust. And trust is something that some of us are more prone to offer to others than maybe we should. I am one of those.

We have shared our driveway with numerous persons from this website and to a one, have met wonderful people who we've formed life-long friendships with.

Sometimes being too hesitant to embrace others causes loss of a possible fantastic friendship. We know that we have been blessed to include those couples into our lives and have zero regrets.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Think it depends on how much faith you have in people.

I've been running RV Widget Works for 5 years, and I don't charge people up front for their order. Primarily because I don't want to deal with customer security, but also because I don't feel comfortable with having someone pay for something that does not meet their expectations.

Customers pay AFTER their parts arrive and only if they do like them.

I've had to redo a few orders (usually when the customer measured wrong) but that's the business model I prefer.

In all those years I have never not been paid. Reaffirms my faith in people.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #5

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Jaye, great story about having faith in someone's honesty.

I just have finished viewing the 1978 Scamp 13 photos that you posted many years ago at http://jayes2scamps.shutterfly.com/ .

My first thought was you must have been raised in a jungle by wild animals !

I don't believe I have ever seen a more attractive RV internal in my many years of RV travel! Viewing the photos gave me a great of enjoyment.

Thank you for sharing the photos.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:43 AM   #6

Name: carleen
Trailer: On epic search for Eriba
Texas
Good people

Great story. Also, I was surprised that tractors1 has always been paid!

I think with my life experience with not so trustworthy strangers, I probably would have said "that depends on what you mean by alone" hoping he would assume I have Mr Smith and Mr Wesson in the trailer. Jaded.

Here's a story of a sweet person on the road.

We have a 1988 VW Vanagon that we take on short trips around Texas. Once we were at a fast food restaurant and a big family walked in. I noticed they were pulling a trailer with "Automobile Fabric Repairs" emblazoned on the side. While we waited for our order, I struck up a conversation with the Dad and asked him about his business (since I do have upholstery issues in my old van). He wanted to see my ripped cushion and we went out to the van. He immediately went over to his trailer and grabbed some tools. Put some bizarre materials on the tear, waved a magic wand over it (which made it look like fabric) and it looked as good as new in just a few minutes! I asked him for a price, he wouldn't hear of it. I wrote a check anyway and tried to give it to him and he refused it. He said that his God would want him to do for others.
And then they got their food and drove off.

That was probably 7 years ago and it still looks great. What a guy.
carleene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:40 PM   #7

Registry
Bill, Thanks for your kind words My son and his wife now have a six year old little girl (the love of my life) and two big dogs so they have moved out of the Scamp and into a dare I say it, gasp, stick built trailer. I am thinking about redoing the inside of this one in a police theme (he is a police officer) and getting a wicked paint job on the outside and letting them take it on parades and such.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:14 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Bill, Thanks for your kind words My son and his wife now have a six year old little girl (the love of my life) and two big dogs so they have moved out of the Scamp and into a dare I say it, gasp, stick built trailer. I am thinking about redoing the inside of this one in a police theme (he is a police officer) and getting a wicked paint job on the outside and letting them take it on parades and such.
Jaye, you are welcome. A few hours ago I viewed the photos of your 1984 Scamp restoration. I thought my 1978 scamp 13 was in bad shape when I bought it...but, it was in great shape compared to the Scamp 13 you bought on eBay! You did a great job restoring it!

Again, I learned a lot by viewing the many great photos you posted, and I could come up with a dozen questions. However, I'll ask only one at this time.

Photo # 84 shows the vent fan you installed in the Scamp's door. Would you mind explaining how the fan moves air in or out since it appears that there is a plastic cover over the opening? Do you remove the plastic cover each time you want to use the fan?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 05-25-2016, 11:34 AM   #9

Registry
Yeap, I used little clips that are intended to hold mirrors onto walls and they spun around rather easily and I just spun around a few of them and took the plexiglass off. I am always on a really limited budget and tend to a) use things I have collected over the years and b) buy stuff and use it for purposes it was never intended for LOL
Old 05-25-2016, 12:56 PM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
It all comes down to trust. And trust is something that some of us are more prone to offer to others than maybe we should. I am one of those.
One of the great lessons of my life was learned the first night serving as a volunteer chaperon in a an overnight shelter for the homeless.

They would come in around 10 PM and immediately turn on the TV and watch the news. That first night I heard them say while watching TV with it's sometimes focus on violence.... "You know it's dangerous out there on the street. Sometimes I'm afraid to speak to people walking down the street."

At the time I was mayor, and heard the very same statement from the 'good' citizens, they were afraid to say anything to the homeless of our community.

I started a soup kitchen around that time and found most people came for conversation, not food.... All the lonely people, and it's far from just the homeless, are around us all the time. Loneliness explains a lot....

Proudly I had the honor of Theresa's driveway, she's also a great cook. Bless you Theresa.... or I guess you are blessed.

It's funny I'm not very religious but now that we're in the south a store clerk will sometimes say "have a blessed day'... I'm not a religious person but I do like to hear someone wishing me well. (No intent to start a religious thread here, just a thought about culture and kindness).

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:58 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Yeap, I used little clips that are intended to hold mirrors onto walls and they spun around rather easily and I just spun around a few of them and took the plexiglass off. I am always on a really limited budget and tend to a) use things I have collected over the years and b) buy stuff and use it for purposes it was never intended for LOL
Jaye, I can only imagine what a even more wonderful RV you would have if you were not restrained by a limited budget!

When I finish with my Scamp, it will be lucky if I even place a framed picture on the wall!

Thanks for your reply.

Bill
Old 05-26-2016, 04:17 PM   #12

Registry
I ended up selling the 84 a couple of years ago, bought a Little Guy teardrop, just wasn't the same, now I have a new Scamp and my daughter-in-law FORBIDS me to do any modifications to it LOL!! I keep teasing her that I am going to cut a hole here or there but really all I needed to do is decorate it. Which is the most fun part anyway
Old 05-27-2016, 10:06 AM   #13

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Wow! You did a major renovation! Awesome! I particularly like the personality you gave your interior with valanced curtains and fuzzy woodland creatures!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote