Spring-like Weather gets me an early start. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2018, 03:31 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Spring-like Weather gets me an early start.

I'm taking advantage, in western Maine, of the past 3 weeks of above freezing temps to get the "Lady bug" out of hibernation. Got out in the early morning hours of shoveling the roadside snow/ice bank, so I was able to get the Boler moved from the back yard to the front before the days heat made the ground too soft to support the Tug.
Maybe an early camping trip will be in order.
Gerry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:37 AM   #2

Guess I forgot how to post Pictures.?.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:03 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Gerry we were out trouting in 27d wx last week! does this count?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:36 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Sorry Gerry you get it after we do.

Moderate to Heavy Snow Possible Late Wednesday / Wednesday Night / Thursday.

Strengthening low pressure expected to track from off the New Jersey coast Wednesday afternoon, to the Gulf of Maine Thursday morning, will likely spread accumulating snow across Vermont and northern New York. The snow is expected to be heaviest across central and eastern Vermont, Wednesday night into Thursday. Slow travel is possible, especially during the Thursday morning commute.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:00 AM   #5

Missouri
couldnt figure out something

raz we have been to both maine and Vermont several times love it there but I had the hardest time passing houses in the summer trying to figure out those ladders permanently attached to roofs.

until I dawned on me that you guys get tremendous heaps of snow on your roofs thus those ladders. you must be up there a lot removing all that snow to make your roofs safe.

made sense to me then!

bob
Old 03-05-2018, 07:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Well that figures Raz, we just got home to upstate NY after 3 months in the sunny south. Got in behind the Nor-easter of last Friday, clear roads and our power had only been out for a few hours. I better go make sure my tractor will start after sitting all winter.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #7
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
raz we have been to both maine and Vermont several times love it there but I had the hardest time passing houses in the summer trying to figure out those ladders permanently attached to roofs.

until I dawned on me that you guys get tremendous heaps of snow on your roofs thus those ladders. you must be up there a lot removing all that snow to make your roofs safe.

made sense to me then!

bob
Ladders are most likely to clean the chimney. You'll see lots of metal roofs. On a sunny day they shed the snow nicely. Just don't stand under them. The hardware stores sell snow rakes for those with shingle roofs.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #8

Missouri
mystery solved

ok raz well after my first chimley fire I quit the wood burning game. I had been cleaning it but forgot to vacuam out the creosote dropping they had built up to 2 foot. what a fire they made.

bob
Old 03-05-2018, 10:28 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Ladders are most likely to clean the chimney. You'll see lots of metal roofs. On a sunny day they shed the snow nicely. Just don't stand under them. The hardware stores sell snow rakes for those with shingle roofs.
We have 2 roof rakes of different lengths. I cleaned the snow off our roof last week in order to limit ice dams and take some weight off the roof. Come Spring which is about 6 weeks away I will climb on the roof and clean the chimney .
Walking on shingles when it is extremely cold or hot tends to cause damage
We have a winter storm coming so I will be cleaning the roof one more time before Spring
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Aah, "In the Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love."
...and us older guy's fancy whether our tractors will start.

The quotation appears in stanza 11 of Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem, "Locksley Hall." Alfred Lord Tennyson (1809 - 1892) was England's Poet Laureate from 1850-1892.

Spring is among my top four favorite seasons, actually top one or two.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #11
Raz

We had two chimney fires over the years, both with a Vermont Castings Vigilant. After that we stopped shutting it down at night. We bought a Hearthstone soapstone stove in 2010. Harder to run but much cleaner. Still, I sweep the chimney from the clean out two or three times during the season.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #12

Missouri
chimley fire

raz I went down to the basement could smell something hot but I couldn't find it I happened to glance at something and I saw the fire in the chimney burning.

I never saw fire so hot very scarey it cracked my chimney after it cooled down!

bob
Old 03-05-2018, 01:02 PM   #13

New York
[QUOTE=Tom 72;686457]
...and us older guy's fancy whether our tractors will start.

I just went to my barn and my 50 year old Ford tractor started right up after sitting for 4 months so I cleared the snow out of my driveway and parked the Casita in it's spot. I bought that tractor new in 1968, it's the newest of my three.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:35 PM   #14
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post

I just went to my barn and my 50 year old Ford tractor started right up after sitting for 4 months so I cleared the snow out of my driveway and parked the Casita in it's spot. I bought that tractor new in 1968, it's the newest of my three.
Yours must be from when they were made here. I had a late 70's early '80s vintage Ford was made in Japan by Shibaura
Old 03-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #15

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Yours must be from when they were made here. I had a late 70's early '80s vintage Ford was made in Japan by Shibaura
Mine has a 3 cylinder gas engine and Lucas electrics, so maybe it was made in Great Britain. Now it's no longer Ford, it's New Holland, and my three closest dealers are gone.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #16

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Chimney fire

The best & easiest way to prevent creosote building up is to ; 1 open your damper fully , 2 get a good fire going ,3 do this when 1st starting the fire in the morning . This will burn off the accumulated creosote from the day before. I have my chimney professionally cleaned every spring. The “ chimney sweep” always comments on the little buildup the chimney has .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:25 PM   #17

I run a wood fired boiler in my basement. This appliance has a forced air fan to keep the fire going but....but when the temp in the boiler gets to 200 degrees, the fan shuts off, and a zone valve opens and lets the near boiling water go into a heat sink, (3 cast iron radiators) and the cooler water from these radiators go into the boiler. Here is the problem, when the boiler is in over heat mode and fan is off, the fire smolders and when you make a smoldering fire, it will create creosote. I go on my roof every 3 weeks and brush down the chimney and get about a half gal. pail full of ash and creosote chunks for my stainless steel chimney.
Before I started this regimental cleaning I had 3 or 4 chimney fires a year.
Gotta go up tomorrow and clean it!
Old 03-05-2018, 10:55 PM   #18

Missouri
hey I have 3 tractors also! life is good on the farm.

bob
Old 02-04-2019, 01:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I'm taking advantage, in western Maine, of the past 3 weeks of above freezing temps to get the "Lady bug" out of hibernation. Got out in the early morning hours of shoveling the roadside snow/ice bank, so I was able to get the Boler moved from the back yard to the front before the days heat made the ground too soft to support the Tug.
Maybe an early camping trip will be in order.
Too Funny, I posted this March of 2018 and here I am Feb. of 2019 and same old story.
Just got the Casita out of the back yard yesterday after 8 long days of shoveling snow and ice.
Heading out for a summer trip right after my Spring Fling Rally and the Casita being new to us needs some work to make it ready for some long term living.
This Casita has 2 water tanks under the floor and not in side cubby and last year one of the tanks split down the bottom corner but I fiberglassed it and it held but I want to get a full support under it so the weight of the water doesn't do it again.

Now that it is up front I can work on it no problem.

COM-ON-SUMMER!