...that 'S' word & lawn art - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
In all fairness, I actually have 2 snowblowers (one would need about an hour's worth of going through), plus a few friends with plows and heavy equipment. Truth be told, I'm quite impressed with the old girl, and enough so that I may just give it a good once over this spring.

Either way, both of our vehicles are 4wd, plus the snow-machine has a trailer so winter is a pleasurable experience that comes with a nice little exercise program. As long as I can keep up with the windrow that the plow leaves, I've got things beat.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #16

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
We don't need snow blowers in most of wyoming...our wind accomplishes the same thing... And its free!!..

Pam

Old 01-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #17

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Our driveway is about 400' long and is a U shaped monster rising on both read connecting ends a height of about 20'. We long ago gave up trying to keep the whole thing clear, now resorting to clearing the southernmost part as best we can. We live on a covered wagon route (city bus which in itself is ANOTHER joke) and this the city realizes should be one of the first or better maintained routes. This results in a rather heavy salt laden load deposited at the top end of both ends of our driveway making for even more work!!!
Accumulation of snow last night brought a huge tree down ona powerpole, taking with it a HUGE transformer with a multitude of electrical claps of 'thunder' and a light show to rival the annual 'Festival Of Lights' AND cutting off power to the northernmost part of the top of Iron Mountain from 7:30 last evening till 8:30 today....

MORE of this "Canadian Grass", as I've heard it referred to on other sites, is expected before the weekend...

Just think, only about 70 more days till SPRINGTIME!!!! (or as we refer to it here, High Water Time!!)
Old 01-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #18

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
I hear you Doug,

We are on the first major street south of North America's busiest highway (all 14 lanes of Highway 401). We get a good chunk of the overflow anytime something happens on the highway. 3 bus routes pass by regularily. Fire and ambulance station 1000 ft. up the road.

We too are on a hill. Matter of fact after Hurricane Hazel in '58 washed out the bridge 10 houses down, the city raised the street in front of my house to decrease the grade of the hill. The driveway and everything on it now runs down to the house, rather than the other way around. Everthing has to go up hill.

City policy is heavy salting for the first 2" of snow no matter how much they are expecting or how soon. Plows hit the road after that. Windrows are always heavy slush. Once upon a time they used to salt after they plowed only if needed. Made for a lot easier shoveling, I think the streets were in better shape after a storm back then too.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #19

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Quote:
Everthing has to go up hill.
Roy, I thought you knew about plumbing and stuff. I hate to be the one to let you know but S*** don't run up hill.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Roy, I thought you knew about plumbing and stuff. I hate to be the one to let you know but S*** don't run up hill.

James, don't get him started on the plumbing....

Carol Ann (his wife)
Old 01-07-2009, 02:52 AM   #21

Ontario
Quote:
I hate to be the one to let you know but S*** don't run up hill.
We learn by experience.

There were a lot of other factors that took precedence when we bought this place. If and when we move, there are a lot more things I would factor into the consideration.

Even though I paid a home inspector to check things out before we bought, he missed a lot of things. I learnt from a city building inspector after buying - that there "is no direct translation" for a plumbing "vent" in the previous owners native language. Need I say more?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:05 AM   #22

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Hahahahaaha! I hear you
See you guys at Emily
Happy New Year
Old 01-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #23

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Snow Plowin' 101
Attached Thumbnails
Snow_Plowin.jpg  
Old 01-13-2009, 09:17 AM   #24

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
Maybe the Snow Joe 322P is just what you need
I was thinking more like this one, Roy.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:21 AM   #25

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
Morgan
Wow!
We call 11 mm a dusting. That's about 5/8 of an inch. Are you thinking cm's? That would make it almost 4 1/2 inches.
Well, you can have my #*#[at]% snowblower. We got hit with a couple of storms at Christmas time and then a warm spell and the poor 25 year old thing just went splut, splut, phutt with the wet stuff and up and died. My snow blower doctor is out of the office until next week. Thank goodnes we haven't gotten more than a "dusting" during the waiting time. Ah well! That's what we have 4X4's for, EH? Just pack it down, spring will come eventually.
Roy
What's this thing with axels and snowblowers?
What do you have in mind for our next problem?
Can you let me know ahead of time?
Nope, James, I measured it myself. I admit I estimated the drift height, I didn't want to get too close.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #26

Ontario
Quote:
I was thinking more like this one, Roy.
Are you sure?
It seems to slow down some when it encounters the windrows.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #27

Ontario
Quote:
What do you have in mind for our next problem?
Can you let me know ahead of time?
Ummm.

Hate to have to tell you this Jim, but you had better check you basement for water coming up from under the floor. Never had a problem until today ...

I'm in the middle of cutting a hole in the concrete floor to set a sump pump into. Can't figure out where the water is coming from. We are in the middle of the artic cold snap so it should not be surface water. Our city water pressure is down. Tested the water for chlorine and it came up negative and different from that coming out of the tap. That leads me to believe it is ground water.

So far we've sucked out about 20 shop vacs full of water and the new hole fills up almost as fast as we empty it. Stopped at home depot to get everything we need and the guy giving me all the parts forgot to mention that we also need a back check valve that was not included with the sump pump. Carol Ann is making another trip down to HD to get one as I write this.

I'm dirty, wet, tired and frustrated. Any idea's?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #28

Trailer: Coleman
Cool

Snow?.....I've heard of it....almost 70 F. today...had to wear a coat to work.

Tom
Austin, Texas