The bed's not made... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2015, 09:17 PM   #21

Name: Denise
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I'm wiping tears from my laughing hysterically eyes as I read the description of bed making in your Scamp. I have tried every technique mentioned and a new one before my latest trip to the Matagorda Madness rally earlier this month.
I have a 17' Casita with an 8" Spa Sensations gel foam mattress. (1) I start with the head and put on the mattress cover and sheet, all while standing on the bench under the somewhat rolled up mattress. (2) Do a belly-flop onto the rolled up mattress and slide off onto the floor allowing it to fall/fly back into place. (3) Repeat step 1 on the foot end while also adding a top sheet and blanket to the mix. Don't forget to maneuver enough during the belly-flop portion to pull the sides around the mattress so they will be somewhat tucked after you slide off again and the mattress falls/flies back into place. (4) Now put a comforter over all of the rumpled lumpy mess you just made so no one sees it. Fold the sides of said comforter up onto itself so no more tucking is necessary.

Mission accomplished! After your breathing and heart rate have returned to normal and the sweat is wiped from your exhausted brow, go in the house and fix yourself a nice big drink for a job well (?????) done.

BTW I forgot to mention I have a sheet of one inch finished pine board under my mattress, fit wall to wall to reinforce the thin dinette table foundation. It allows for all of the standing, rolling and flopping required for this method!
wellduh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:59 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Simple! On the HC1 I just open the back door ,tuck in sheets, done. No arm stretching, backbreaking yoga or having to get the wife to do it I can even do it myself. By the way it just turned midnight here happier new year everyone
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Why worry? Everyone knows the fairies come out and dance on the bed as soon as you close the door. The ones you pick up along the highway are the worst!

Just in case there is a seed of serious inquiry in this lighthearted thread (are we noticing where it's posted?)... I'd use a custom fitted bottom sheet underneath and a comforter with a washable cover on top- no top sheet, no blankets. Then all you have to do is arrange the comforter loosely on top, ready for your afternoon nap. My wife introduced me to the delights of ditching the top sheet many years ago.

Do you tuck in your shirt, too?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:31 PM   #24

Name: Sands
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
Lots of good answers! I like the idea of the bed that makes itself; simply take loose the compression strap and viola! If we were changing back and forth between table and bed that would be a good way to go. We are leaving our bed/table in the bed position all the time. I like the idea of taking frequent naps, so one has an excuse for not making the bed. That's a good one. I had not thought of reinforcing the foundation to help stand up to the vigorous techniques needed to accomplish the task, but now (thanks Denise!) I'm worried about Breaking Bed. The various sleeping bag solutions also hold promise. But, for me, I think Alf has the best answer: let the wife do it! Not only do I care less about whether the bed is made or not, my wife is much more limber than I and, as Alf pointed out, there are side benefits to the show. I'll use the "Hey, I don't always tuck in my shirt either" excuse with her and see how it works.

Thanks for all your replies, nice to know I'm not alone in the search for smoother bedding's. Sorry it took a while for me to get back, but right now we are camped in Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge in south-central AZ. We are getting spotty cell service. Beautiful otherwise!

Happy New Year everyone!!
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #25

Name: JC
Georgia
hey carleene,
I noticed that I'm no longer a Jr. Member either… how'd we do that?… I kinda miss my adjective BTW…
outnabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The bed's not made...

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnabout View Post
hey carleene,

I noticed that I'm no longer a Jr. Member either… how'd we do that?… I kinda miss my adjective BTW…
Not to worry. You'll get an adjective back soon enough. How does "senior" suit?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #27

Name: JC
Georgia
I'm not sure if i want an adjective…
outnabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:21 PM   #28

Name: Norma J
Trailer: Scamp 19'
Michigan
Bed making

I believe I have done every one of those techniques...sure am glad I'm not on camera while in the process...we now just tuck where we can reach and let the pretty "Scamp" quilt I made cover all the under pinings
Norma G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:43 PM   #29

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I love your description of making your bed in your trailer and was rolling on the floor laughing!

I LOVE our bed-making plan for our 13' Scamp and have used it since 2011. You can refer to my many previous posts regarding bedding by going to the "Search" button on the FGRV forum, scroll down to the bottom for "Google Search" and put in the words "Gilda bed".

In short, I use "real bedding" and I don't need to "tuck it in" anywhere as the sides of the trailer keep the bedding contained. The 1 1/2" Thermafoam custom topper is cut into two long pieces, covered with a custom cover made of 100% cotton jersey sheets (or cotton knit fabric on the bolt) and a long zipper for easy removal for washing. The toppers can be each rolled up and stored in the bench. The comforters are standard queen size, generally 84" square, providing enough overhang so they don't need to be tucked in. I chose to connect two comforters using a loop and button method (see photo detail) because Velcro is scratchy and noisy and zippers are too confining. The loops and buttons can easily be connected in the dark. To "make" the bed for daytime simply fold the comforter in half (42" wide) and place on top of the topper. See photo.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 023.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 026.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 032.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #30

California
Registry
Other threads have mentioned the following system, but at close to $300 for queen size I think I'd make my own. When you think of it though, 2 comforters plus bedsheets and 2 long zippers could easily equal $300. The most important part of an RVRoadtreking : The RV Lifestyle Blog You can find the RV Super Bag at RVSuperbag.com
You might be able to assemble an RV Super Bag of your own by shopping the bedding sales that are going on now, in January, at places like JC Penny, Walmart or Macys. Super deals can be had by purchasing "Bed in a Bag" or complete bedding sets that typically come with comforters, sheets, pillowcases, pillow shams and bedskirts. From the bedskirts and extra fabric from sheets you can make great curtains or curtain panels. Even with these sets though, you only get one flat sheet. I have found loose flat sheets (without having to purchase a set) at stores that specialize in bargain linens such as Linen Outlet in San Francisco and Westlake Shopping Center in Daly City, California. Extra long zippers and Velcro can be purchased at most sewing and fabric stores.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:09 PM   #31

California
Registry
While researching bedding and sleep in an RV I came across this video on one of my favorite RV websites, The Long, Long Honeymoon. Long Long Honeymoon | #Loloho » Search Results » sleep video
In answer to their statement; "you can never have too many pillows" I say, "yes you can, especially in a tiny FGRV"
Old 01-03-2016, 07:57 AM   #32

Name: P
Washington
I make the bed for the climate I'm going to be in. My Oregon Coast in November bed was made from 4 yards of colorful fleece material that I folded over and sewed up on one side. An unzipped, cheapo 30 degrees (but more like 47 for me) sleeping bag could and was thrown over the top of that. I don't run a heater at night. This worked well. I have a "mattress cover" which is a fleece blanket that I do wrassle into place, and it seems to stay in place. That's it. The tortilla style fleece can be used alone when things are quite warm.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote