This is just so sensible - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-08-2010, 01:04 AM   #1

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

Heard of a builder who, when building a new campus of some type, did not put in sidewalks, only grass.

Well he was a laughing stock until a year later when he replaced all the paths in the grass with sidewalk.

Now that is one smart builder.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #2

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
That was the story of how the original paved walks got put in at my college, the University of Puget Sound. They let students and faculty wear paths in the grass, then paved them. This created some interesting criss-crosses but made for a path most places you needed to go.

I really wish my college would do this- they don't match the sidewalk on each side of a road to each other- so you cross from one walk to grass on the other side, sometimes even with a crosswalk leading to grass. It's crazy. And some areas have distinctly worn paths but no sidewalk at all, not even an inconvenient one.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
California
Registry
Quote:
That was the story of how the original paved walks got put in at my college, the University of Puget Sound.
Don't know when you were in school but UCSC (Cal Santa Cruz) did this in the '60s when the campus was being built. Made for a really muddy first couple of years. No grass, just dirt and Redwood duff.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:01 AM   #4

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

Aggravations:

Something I never saw in the Midwest but is pretty common in Washington, is parking lots in which the spaces do not line up rank to rank. When the spaces do line up, it is easy to place your car in the space by observing the space in the next rank.

Another aggravation: I watched the road in front of the warehouse I worked at in the Midwest be rebuilt. They placed the manholes so the manhole covers were not in the wheel tracks. They were either between or could be straddled when driving. Made for a much smoother road. I have yet to see that in Washington.

Another aggravation is freeway entrances nationwide. It seems they seldom let you know soon enough which lane you need to be in to enter the freeway in the direction you want to go. At strange entrances if you want to turn left, you don't know if it is a ramp and you should be in the left lane, or it is a clover-leaf and you should be in the right lane. Grrrr.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #5

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
What I hate is when there is a right turn only lane, but traffic backs up to before that sign (routinely) and only the natives know they need to be in the left lane, and by the time you find out you need to be in the left lane you are in the wrong lane.

Paths were already in when I went to college so no mud. However, now I have to deal with flooded paths when it rains as no one thought to make sure the cement walkway didn't go through a vernal pond and now they don't seem to want to do what it would take (raising the roadbed) to fix it.