Lighten up and have a good day!:wave

Old 04-30-2003, 02:40 PM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Orginally posted by Lex Meuldijk

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Orginally posted by Bill and Darline Harper
Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City purchased a brand new 32 foot Winnebago motorhome. On his way home, having driven on the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph , left the driver's seat to go into the back to make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly, the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned.
Mr. G sued Winnebago for not advising him, in the owner's manual, that he couldn't actually do this.
The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new motorhome. The Company actually changed their manual on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons buying their vehicles.
I can't believe this story. Is this really true? Or is it a joke?
NB: I live in Europe, so the question is serious.[/quote]
about a week ago I was joking about this cruise control happening and the lady sitting beside me said she knew of someone having done this very thing. I don't think they went to court, but they did think the RV would take care of it's self and got up and was walking about and had a wreck. I showed skepticism and she said she was a first responder and saw the results first hand. This was a few years ago. found this interesting it was a rented rv and he was in the US visiting. language barrier??
Old 04-30-2003, 03:36 PM   #18

Huh?

I'm not sure how this item got into this thread, but it's a hoax. Go here for the full skivvy.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp

It's a typical "urban legend" tale, complete with someone who is said to have "been there."
Old 04-30-2003, 11:27 PM   #19

Like I said, I found it interesting. and this one wasn't female :) But, well whatever.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:59 AM   #20

Urban Legends

Quote:
Orginally posted by Thomas and Janifer

Like I said, I found it interesting. and this one wasn't female :) But, well whatever.
Jana Journeycake Pullsbuttercupwithyellaescape,

These legends are pervasive on the internet and each one has staunch believers.

My cousin in Texas sent me the one about the guy waking up in a bathtub full of ice. There was a note telling him to call 9-1-1 because both his kidneys had been removed (stolen). When I told her it was a legend, she said a policeman friend told her it was true. I told her to check with her doctor to see if it could possibly be true.

I think she still believes it. :huh :shg
Old 05-01-2003, 08:06 AM   #21

Willing suspension of disbelief

That seems to be the common factor in all of these tales: the intense desire of the teller to believe it, and to have us believe it in turn. They also can tell us a lot about our culture and society and that's why they are interesting to study. Often, if you question one, the relater will show a spark of anger and then will come out with the ultimate weapon-- "Well, my cousin's friend was THERE when it happened!" These myths evidently feed some need in us.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:35 AM   #22

Believe it or Don't!!

The power of the internet along with our e-mail address books give alot of these 'stories' new outlets. Years ago - before the internet was invented - there was a hoax about Proctor and Gamble being a devil worshipping cult. There were notices sent to every fax machine in the Goverment (Federal) about boycotting this company. I saw them then. It was preached from the pulpit in churches here, too. :o Of course, it was a hoax. Snopes.com is the greatest website for looking up all facts, misstatements and hoaxes (and some are just howling good stories) but with the speed of the internet and our extensive e-mail address books and the ability to forward "to all", hoaxes are sent as fast as any internet virus (just like the 6 degrees of separation) :r and everybody knows someone that knew someone's cousin's friend. Be Skeptical! :E