This is serious! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2003, 10:59 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This is serious!

The American Medical Association has announced the discovery and isolation of a new condition, now officially classified as a disease, called teeteeitis, sometimes abbreviated TTitis. The disease has been suspected for some time, but only recently has it been classified.

SYMPTOMS. The disease afflicts male and female alike, and is a particular danger to middle-aged and retired persons of both sexes. Early stages may be detected by the patient's spending excessive time on the internet visiting the sites of travel trailer manufacturers, national and state parks, and recreational vehicle accessory suppliers. (A sure sign is a road atlas placed strategically near the toilet of an infected person.) While driving, patients are easily distracted by passing travel trailers and have been known to strike up conversations at stop lights with other drivers who are pulling such trailers. Winter fidgitiness is a common symptom observed in all patients. As spring approaches, sufferers are found frequently staring out of windows and sighing loudly. List-making has also been observed.

TREATMENT. There is no known cure, especially for a peculiarly virulent sub-set of the disease known as effteeteeitis, or FTTitis. Formerly it was thought that visits to certain shrines, such as the one in Rice, Texas, could cure or at least forestall the more serious implications of the disease. This has now been contra-indicated, as it has been conclusively demonstrated that these shrine visits almost inevitably bring on the final stages of the condition.

ETIOLOGY. The disease progresses rapidly. In some cases the time from the initial infection until the terminal condition is as little as a few weeks. Chronic outbreaks of the disease are of epidemic proportions during the spring and summer months. Strangely, victims of teeteitis (and most especially effteeteeitis) seem to live longer than those not afflicted. Victims are also observed to laugh more often, enjoy food more, and generally demonstrate a more positive attitude toward life in general than those not infected. A vaccine is under development, but the peculiarities of this condition indicate that those infected may be so far gone as to refuse to take it.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 12:33 PM   #2

>>live longer<< and >>refuse to take it.<<
YEAH :inbox

Old 03-12-2003, 11:31 AM   #3

This Is Serious-Stella Awards

Stella Awards:

It's time again to consider the candidates for the annual Stella Awards. The Stellas are named after 81 year old Stella Liebeck who spilled coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonalds.

The following is one of this year's candidates:

Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City purchased a brand new 32 foot Winnebago motorhome. On his way home, having driven on the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph , left the driver's seat to go into the back to make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly, the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned.
Mr. G sued Winnebago for not advising him, in the owner's manual, that he couldn't actually do this.
The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new motorhome. The Company actually changed their manual on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons buying their vehicles.:o :o

Old 03-12-2003, 12:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Orginally posted by Bill and Darline Harper
Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City purchased a brand new 32 foot Winnebago motorhome. On his way home, having driven on the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph , left the driver's seat to go into the back to make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly, the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned.
Mr. G sued Winnebago for not advising him, in the owner's manual, that he couldn't actually do this.
The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new motorhome. The Company actually changed their manual on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons buying their vehicles.
I can't believe this story. Is this really true? Or is it a joke?
NB: I live in Europe, so the question is serious.

Old 03-12-2003, 12:11 PM   #5

It may or may not be true, but I heard a similar story about 30 years ago. In the version I heard, the driver was an Egyptian. (My story didn't include a followup about a lawsuit and/or settlement. It was a joke about ''cruise control.'')

Old 03-12-2003, 12:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Orginally posted by Mary F
It may or may not be true,
We in Europe are in a state of mind to believe anything on incredible law suits in America (think of the smokers verdict of billions of dollars, etc.).

Old 03-12-2003, 01:11 PM   #7

Here, too.

Lex, many of us in the USA are pretty amazed by this too. So you're not alone ;-)

Nathan

Old 03-12-2003, 01:42 PM   #8

The coffee was true, but hopefully the MH one wasn't, even though I did think about getting up and getting my drink once when Tom was in the bathroom--while going down the road. Thankfully I realized that *might* not be a good idea. :) I wasn't doing anything but resting my hand on the steering wheel at the time.--staight road you see.

Old 03-12-2003, 02:52 PM   #9

cruise control - hoax

It's a 'legend', no truth to it, and it's been recently tacked onto the 'stella awards'. Don't fall for it!! :wave

Old 03-12-2003, 02:53 PM   #10

hoax and all

A great website that debunks all hoax materials is snopes.com - has them all - some of these hoaxes are great stories, :E too, they just aren't true. :wave

Old 03-12-2003, 03:03 PM   #11

Dr. Brummett................

Why have I been spending all of this money on these quacks in town when, all the time, you had the answer to my disease?
Got a date with the proctologist tomorrow--I'm going to give him a copy of your study and say, ''let's go for it, Doc.''

Suz, I'm only kidding!:chased

Old 03-12-2003, 09:55 PM   #12

Stella Awards

A list of Stella Awards was sent to us by a friend. The stories are just bizarre enough to be true, but I think they are all tall tales. The McDonalds's lawsuit is true, though.:)

Old 03-13-2003, 02:04 AM   #13

There is also the lady who sued McDonalds (Rotten Ronnie's) because she was injured by a hot pickle that fell out of her hamburger. :o

The cruise control story is legend/myth - it's been around for as long as I have - at least. :)

Old 03-13-2003, 07:51 AM   #14

George,

Take one brand new Rand McNally, preferably with morning coffee and a magnifying glass, and call me once you are at least 500 miles from home. I'm sure you'll feel much better.

(In order to complete your billing, please let me have your Medicare information, supplementary insurance details, bank account numbers (incuding Swiss and Bahamian accounts), and the address of your first born. Be healthy!)

Old 03-13-2003, 07:53 AM   #15

Stella Awards???

How did they get on this thread anyway?:conf

Old 03-13-2003, 08:30 AM   #16

Stella Awards

Duh! It's a joke Robert.
Lighten up and have a good day!:wave

Old 04-30-2003, 01:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Orginally posted by Lex Meuldijk

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Orginally posted by Bill and Darline Harper
The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new motorhome. The Company actually changed their manual on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons buying their vehicles.
I can't believe this story. Is this really true? Or is it a joke?
NB: I live in Europe, so the question is serious.[/quote]
about a week ago I was joking about this cruise control happening and the lady sitting beside me said she knew of someone having done this very thing. I don't think they went to court, but they did think the RV would take care of it's self and got up and was walking about and had a wreck. I showed skepticism and she said she was a first responder and saw the results first hand. This was a few years ago. found this interesting it was a rented rv and he was in the US visiting. language barrier??

Old 04-30-2003, 02:36 PM   #18

Huh?

I'm not sure how this item got into this thread, but it's a hoax. Go here for the full skivvy.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp

It's a typical "urban legend" tale, complete with someone who is said to have "been there."

Old 04-30-2003, 10:27 PM   #19

Like I said, I found it interesting. and this one wasn't female :) But, well whatever.

Old 05-01-2003, 06:59 AM   #20

Urban Legends

Quote:
Orginally posted by Thomas and Janifer

Like I said, I found it interesting. and this one wasn't female :) But, well whatever.
Jana Journeycake Pullsbuttercupwithyellaescape,

These legends are pervasive on the internet and each one has staunch believers.

My cousin in Texas sent me the one about the guy waking up in a bathtub full of ice. There was a note telling him to call 9-1-1 because both his kidneys had been removed (stolen). When I told her it was a legend, she said a policeman friend told her it was true. I told her to check with her doctor to see if it could possibly be true.

I think she still believes it. :huh :shg