True...right here at home. - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: 1983 Burro 13 ft
West Virginia
Posts: 45
True...right here at home.

In May a couple years ago, we were enjoying some nice, warm nights and were sleeping with the windows open. I was awakened by a scratching sound accompanied by some whining and whimpering sounds. We're cat owners and thinking a dog or 'coon had one of our cats cornered on the deck, I got out of bed and looked out the bedroom window. I couldn't believe what I saw! There were two bear cubs on the deck, wandering around and whimpering at their mother who was in the yard at the bottom of the steps. Evidently, they had climbed up the steps from the yard and were afraid or didn't know how to go back down head-first. They were about the size of a small dog...maybe ten pounds and cute as heck.
The next day I went to the local WallyMart and picked up a trail camera and these pictures were taken the following night. This small fenced-in area is just 20 feet off our back porch. The fence was to protect some new shrubbery from foraging deer but had little effect on our new neighbors. Since these pics were taken, we've seen two others....one a juvenile about a year old and one HUGE ol' gentleman. They all have been well-mannered, no issue, and are welcome.....as long as they leave our Burro alone.
Attached Thumbnails
Copy (2) of DSC_0025.jpg   DSC_0029.jpg  

DSC_0027.jpg   DSC_0026_2.jpg  

DSC_0029_2.jpg   DSC_0033.jpg  

DSC_0028.jpg  
__________________

__________________
Mike Shackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
So.... how did the cubs get down the stairs? You're leaving me hanging here....

Thanks for sharing the pics. That's the BEST way to view a bear IMHO
__________________

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Moderator
 
Pam Garlow's Avatar
 
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Posts: 3,220
Registry
Awww, Mike is so humble, he left out the part where he went outside, and held their little bearpaws to help them down the stairs....
__________________
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
lpk49's Avatar
 
Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
Posts: 297
you need to be careful tho. they are coming in houses and cars here. usually when a window is open and there are food smells. once they got a mama out of a car and didnt realize her two babies were in the back seat. they were finding cheerios deep in the seats. and one lady came down in the morning to make coffee and there was a bear in the kitchen. he grabbed a box of crackers or cookies or something before he ran away. i was never scared of wild animals before...but they are acting different now. we had a moose try to breed with a truck. i guess they have something called brain worm.
__________________
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: 1983 Burro 13 ft
West Virginia
Posts: 45
Our bears...

Donna, we live on 40 or so acres in northcentral WV and like most places in WV the house is on a hillside. Those steps are toward our garden and about 6-7ft. high. The opposite end of the deck is only about a foot above ground and has a wheelchair ramp. My voice evidently scared them away from our window and they followed the easy path around the deck to the other end.
Pam, strange you should say that. When I saw our first bear...the BIG guy...I was awakened by our garbage can exiting the deck down the ramp. I thought our local raccoons had taken it, being mostly empty. They've attempted it in the past. I got out of bed, put bermudas on, and went to retrieve the can. When I picked it up WAY down in the yard, I realized from the weight that it wasn't a raccoon. I hotfooted it back to the house, turned off the lights, got the wife out of bed, and watched. Pretty soon the culprit returned. He approached the deck, stood on his hind legs and sniffed...trying to make up his mind whether to try that again. He paced around awhile trying to decide, and eventually wandered off past my shop and into the woods. Our only sighting of him. The yearling I spoke of has been here several times, mostly in the afternoon or early evening, wandering through, eating sunflower seeds....just being sociable. This took place three years ago, and since that time, we've had gas well/fracking activity along with new cross country power lines going through the neighborhood and I think all the activity has either scared them completely away or they've become more secretive in their activities. We've seen their tracks since, but no more sightings since last fall....
You have to see our location to get a feel for all this. We're nearly in the middle of our farm with dense woods on two sides of our house, two small ponds nearby, and no visible neighbors....the closest house is 1/4 mile away, out by our mailbox. No vehicle noise or traffic, no human activity except ours. Its no small wonder we have lots of wildlife.
__________________
Mike Shackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: 1983 Burro 13 ft
West Virginia
Posts: 45
I should add that the fracking activity is NOT ours!! They're not welcome on our farm!!
__________________
Mike Shackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Mike sounds like your property is a sanctuary for nearby wildlife. Wonderful

Thanks for the .... rest of the story!
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
It is so nice to see and hear about man and animal sharing their space, keep up the good work. I have tried this approach my entire life.
__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Steve Outlaw's Avatar
 
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Posts: 502
Registry
Mike, that's a great story and wonderful pics. Your place sounds like a really nice area.
__________________
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Mike, I enjoy your photos and glad to hear you have learned to live with the bears.

I live in a pretty densely populated urban area but we get lots of bears in the area due to being located close to a mountain. They have been known to go shopping for dinner at the local grocery store or pizza joint. They love people in my area who have pools and fish ponds (and keep restocking them) in their yards! LOL Nothing like a nice cool off dip into a pool during hot weather! :-) I saw my first bear of the year just the other day - he was sitting in a neighbor's yard and I am pretty sure he was waiting for them to put their garbage can out for pick-up - as we cant legally put our garbage cans outside until the day of pick up. I swear the bears know the garbage pick up schedule and move from area to area each day :-)

We have a program called Bear Aware in our area that has been very effective in keeping human and bear conflicts to a minimum in recent years. Its was a slow long education process in teaching people that they are actually the solution to the problem and shooting the bears is not. We fortunately now have very few problem bears shoot or relocated each year - some years none! Since we adopted this program many other communities have adopted it as well.

People new to the area are often surprised to learn that when the call the wildlife folks to report a bear in their yard the conservation officers if they do come (often they dont they just tell the caller to yell at the bear or bang some pots) they will not shoot the bear but instead will inspect the callers property and fine them if they find a bear attractant on their property. Items such as bird feeders, garbage cans outside, fruit trees with fruit left laying on the ground or a dirty BQ. Took awhile for people living in the area to except the new rules regarding dealing with bears but most are happy about the way it has worked and would not want to see the old way we dealt with bears in years past (shoot them) returned.

Yup we do need to be careful about leaving doors open - but that is mostly during the fall season when the bears are in what we know to by hyper eating mode to fatten up for their winter hibernation. During that time they can/will be a bit more assertive in getting what they want and not so quick to run off if you simple yell at them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: 1983 Burro 13 ft
West Virginia
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Mike sounds like your property is a sanctuary for nearby wildlife. Wonderful

Thanks for the .... rest of the story!
You are very welcome, Donna. Glad you enjoyed the pics.
Mike
__________________
Mike Shackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: 1983 Burro 13 ft
West Virginia
Posts: 45
Thanks to all FGRV'ers for the comments about the wildlife we share our farm with. Believe me, I've just scratched the surface. They're such commonplace residents that we tend to ignore them. Deer, raccoons, turkeys, and a few groundhogs are the most common visitors. We're beginning to see a few coyotes and quite a few ravens have now begun nesting. Crows make the ravens' lives difficult. The only real wildlife threat we watch out for is the copperheads. We do have quite a few of those, but so far none have been troublesome. I usually catch them and take them to the woods when they appear too close to the house.

Thanks again for all the kind sentiments
Mike in WV
__________________
Mike Shackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: 1983 Burro 13 ft
West Virginia
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It is so nice to see and hear about man and animal sharing their space, keep up the good work. I have tried this approach my entire life.
We do as well, Jim. This ol' earth is home to many species and its way past time for humanity to quit destroying our home and its residents.

Thanks for the support.
Mike
__________________
Mike Shackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: 1983 Burro 13 ft
West Virginia
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Mike, I enjoy your photos and glad to hear you have learned to live with the bears.

I live in a pretty densely populated urban area but we get lots of bears in the area due to being located close to a mountain. They have been known to go shopping for dinner at the local grocery store or pizza joint. They love people in my area who have pools and fish ponds (and keep restocking them) in their yards! LOL Nothing like a nice cool off dip into a pool during hot weather! :-) I saw my first bear of the year just the other day - he was sitting in a neighbor's yard and I am pretty sure he was waiting for them to put their garbage can out for pick-up - as we cant legally put our garbage cans outside until the day of pick up. I swear the bears know the garbage pick up schedule and move from area to area each day :-)

We have a program called Bear Aware in our area that has been very effective in keeping human and bear conflicts to a minimum in recent years. Its was a slow long education process in teaching people that they are actually the solution to the problem and shooting the bears is not. We fortunately now have very few problem bears shoot or relocated each year - some years none! Since we adopted this program many other communities have adopted it as well.

People new to the area are often surprised to learn that when the call the wildlife folks to report a bear in their yard the conservation officers if they do come (often they dont they just tell the caller to yell at the bear or bang some pots) they will not shoot the bear but instead will inspect the callers property and fine them if they find a bear attractant on their property. Items such as bird feeders, garbage cans outside, fruit trees with fruit left laying on the ground or a dirty BQ. Took awhile for people living in the area to except the new rules regarding dealing with bears but most are happy about the way it has worked and would not want to see the old way we dealt with bears in years past (shoot them) returned.

Yup we do need to be careful about leaving doors open - but that is mostly during the fall season when the bears are in what we know to by hyper eating mode to fatten up for their winter hibernation. During that time they can/will be a bit more assertive in getting what they want and not so quick to run off if you simple yell at them.
Our Game Wardens don't deal with daily bear issues like where you are in BC, Carol. Our issues are mainly hunting/fishing without licenses or poaching and trespassing. We regularly camp in Ontario, Canada, north of Toronto and have for four generations. We stay in tents and portage from lake to lake, and have never had a bear issue...we just use good judgment with food and smelly items like deodorant and snacks, usually hanging them in a distant tree. Fish cleaning is done away from camp and food scraps buried or burned...again, away from camp.

Ignorance and feeding wildlife by people is what creates problems. You can't blame the animal.

Thanks for the reply.
Mike
__________________

__________________
Mike Shackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« Grandpa | Golf »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too good to be true... David A. L. Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers 4 04-09-2011 09:43 PM
So True Chester Taje Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 4 11-09-2009 09:40 AM
true stories Sandra Lair Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 11 09-19-2009 06:16 PM
True Facts Legacy Posts Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 2 10-09-2002 09:08 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.