Why Men Don't Write Advice Columns - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Dear Walter:

I hope you can help me here. The other day, I set off for work in my Volvo 1800 leaving my husband in the house watching the TV as usual. I hadn't gone more than a mile down the road when my engine conked out and the car shuddered to a halt. I walked back home to get my husband's help. When I got home I couldn't believe my eyes. He was in our bedroom with the neighbor lady. I am 32, my husband is 34, and we have been married for twelve years. When I confronted him, he broke down and admitted that they had been having an affair for the past six months. I told him to stop or I would leave him. He was let go from his job six months ago and he says he has been feeling increasingly depressed and worthless. I love him very much, but ever since I gave him the ultimatum he has become increasingly distant. He won't go to counseling and I'm afraid I can't get through to him anymore. Can you please help? Sincerely, Sheila

Dear Sheila:

An 1800 stalling after being driven a short distance can be caused by a variety of faults with the engine. Start by checking that there is no debris in the fuel line. If it is clear, check the vacuum lines and hoses on the in- take manifold and also check all grounding wires. If none of these approaches solves the problem, it could be that the fuel pump itself is faulty, causing low delivery pressure to the carburetor float chamber. I hope this helps.

-Walter
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
Walter, I agree with you, that is excellent advice.
ddayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Instead of walking a mile back home, she should have just called for road service.
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
You could ask the neighbor lady if she has an emery board she could loan you, the kind used to trim fingernails. If she does, pop the cap off the distributor and slide the emery board between the points a couple of times. Might do the trick.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
This one's making the rounds of my email address book!
Old 07-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
All the above is very sound advise. However, you don't say which year 1800 you have. If it is a 1973 it was the first year for D-Jet Fuel Injection (and the last year of production for the 1800).

If so, the D-Jet is a relativley simplistic system, very effective and rugged for it's time though it did have a few little idiosycrasies.

If none of the above fixes it, you should also check the connections to the fuel pump and connections to, and the temp sensor itself, located at the top right front of the block. Any fault in these will cause a non-running condition.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Ok, ok I gotta put my two bits in as the only woman replying so far. You fellows are hilarious in your replies you are all sticking together on this. "Old Volvo's Never Die", but he might fall off the perch putting that extra stress on his heart.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
My sincere apology Benita.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote