13' Scamp, Boler, etc. wanted - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 1981 Burro 13 ft
Hi,
I'm in the Chicago area and will travel a reasonable distance (in the midwest) to buy.
Any model year, but must be in good condition and ready to roll.
My tow vehicle can handle 1500 lbs. max, so not looking for a lot of add-ons.

Thanks!
Liz

Old 02-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #2

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
There is a very nice 13' U-Haul fiberglass trailer for sale near Kansas City. Asking price is $4500. You might take a look at it in the For Sale section here.

UHaul trailer for sale

Old 02-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #3

Hi Kevin,

Hey, we're practically neighbors! I'm in Downers Grove. Thank you very much for forwarding this ad to me; sure looks like a beauty!

I am heading to Minneapolis tomorrow to check out a Scamp. Geeze, buying one of these is really an insane task. I see you have a U-Haul... did you set out to buy that particular make? I guess what I'm asking is, what appealed to you about it over say a Scamp, Burro, etc? i.e bigger bed, lighter weight, blah blah blah.

The major difference I see among them is the fabric on the walls : )

Which makes me wonder what the advantages/disadvantages are to that wall stuff- is that what is referred to as "rat fur"??

Liz

Old 02-24-2009, 07:47 PM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Which makes me wonder what the advantages/disadvantages are to that wall stuff- is that what is referred to as "rat fur"??

Liz
Rat fur or carpet on the walls: Advantage is sound deadening capabilities. Disadvantage, it can get dirty or hold odors if you smoke or have pets. Think of it as having drapery on your walls in your home. Frankly I like the rat fur in my trailer, makes it "cozy." And, I haven't had any problems keeping it clean. It's not like I walk on it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Rat fur or carpet on the walls: Advantage is sound deadening capabilities. Disadvantage, it can get dirty or hold odors if you smoke or have pets. Think of it as having drapery on your walls in your home. Frankly I like the rat fur in my trailer, makes it "cozy." And, I haven't had any problems keeping it clean. It's not like I walk on it!

Thanks for the insight, Donna. Aren't trailers suppose to smell? What's camping if not for dogs, a little dirt, and campfire smoke!
Old 02-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #6

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I'm inclined to the same beliefs Liz. But, there's something about purchasing a used trailer with someone else's dirt/odors These trailers are like a home, they have to be cleaned once in a while. I know there is a strong following for the all fiberglass interiors... like the Oliver and Burro (maybe U-Haul too). I just say "love the one you're with" ! Personally, I haven't seen any brand I wouldn't like. Individual trailers... yes, either the decorating choice or lack or maintenance. Redecorating is no problem. I strong believe it's the one thing a person can do to make their trailer uniquely their own and have it stand out among the masses. However, if I was looking to full-time, my choices would be limited to features I like and want. Your mileage may vary however.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #7

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Liz,
We started out with a 13' Burro in 2006 and had it for a year, taking it to the Black Hills and Yellowstone. The Burro was a great little trailer (with smooth fiberglass walls inside), but my wife really wanted a bit more space. So... in late winter 2007, we were keeping an eye out for a larger Burro trailer when the 16' U-Haul Vacationer came up on eBay. It was listed with a Buy It Now price of $3750 in Arkansas, so 10 minutes later I had bought it! I only went on the pictures offered and was taking a chance, but it was a great chance. The U-Haul had the same general layout as the Burro (they are actually "cousins" in the trailer world, with some models using almost the same molds), so we were comfortable with the idea of 3 more feet of length and a slightly wider bed. Since we were driving to San Antonio for a conference a month later, the seller agreed to hold it (after we sent a 50% deposit) and we picked it up on the way home from Texas. The seller also threw in a couple other things, including a stove top, an old AC, and a Dometic 3-way fridge. The AC was junk and the fridge is way too big for the trailer, so it sits in our basement as our downstairs pop and beer fridge.

In the month before we picked it up, we cleaned up our Burro, advertised it on Fiberglass RV, and sold it for $3,000 to a couple from Indianapolis. We met them at the halfway point on I-65 and made the sale the week after we picked up the U-Haul. For a short while, we had fraternal camper twins! I've included pictures of the two trailers - they look a lot alike except for size. That blue Coleman cooler on the back of the Burro is actually just a shell covering a 5,000 BTU AC supported on the back bumper. It rode like a dream since it was supported with heavy metal braces. It fooled a lot of folks who thought we carried our drinks on the back of the trailer! We would just pop off the cover and turn it on when we camped.

On the U-Haul, we added a new Coleman Polar Cub AC, put in a dorm fridge, rebuilt the stove, put in a Wave3 Catalytic heater/furnace, installed a mini-microwave, and put in a DVD/LCD TV unit. Really roughing it! I still need to fix the shower drain in the privacy room since the drain is about a half inch higher than the floor. Hard for the water to completely drain out!

We're preparing now to take our annual trip to the Pine Ridge Lakota Reservation in South Dakota in mid-March. We take our trailer to haul donations, then sleep in it at the camp there. We work on fixing homes and building beds for the local residents. We haven't planned our summer trips yet, but we always try to get out at least 5 or 6 times to VW shows, parks, and canoeing spots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Burro.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	18117

I forgot to mention, the U-Haul and Burro trailers have a double hull with air space in between. This acts as an insulation barrier. The smooth interior walls are easy to wipe down and keep clean, too.
Attached Thumbnails
UHaul.jpg  
Old 02-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #8

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
On the sound-deadening subject: I haven't been in a camper with carpet or fur, so I have no direct comparison, but I'm amazed at how much more "soundproof" the Boler (with ensolite inside walls) is than my old tent. I actually almost feel "too" insulated from the woodsy sounds unless I open a window. It's even relatively quiet when it rains.

I don't say this to disagree that the fur and/or carpet is good, just to make a comment on the ensolite that I have experience with.

Happy shopping!

Raya

Tags
boler, scamp