13' SCAMP TO BUY - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-08-2016, 12:30 AM   #15
Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'

Yes, please be careful, Bill, don't want you back in the hospital! And so very sorry for the recent loss of your son, how very sad. Please take care!

Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:58 AM   #16
Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Best wishes Bill, and take care of yourself.

Jerry, as others have said, they do go quickly. I missed out on several when I was doing my search. I was communicating with folks a state or two away, asking questions about condition, and people simply walked up to their driveway with cash. Can't blame the seller for taking a stack of cash...

Finally I found one on fiberglass RVs 4 sale that I thought seemed right for us. it was in Tulsa (8 hour drive for me) but I have a cousin in Tulsa and a sister in KC that I owed a visit to. I contacted the guy the same day that the ad was posted, and I told him I'd pay full asking price ($5000) and give him $150 via paypal to hold it for me for a week.

This is far from ideal. It really puts you in a vulnerable position. When I got there there were issues with the camper, but I was basically in no position to do anything but pay the cash and haul the camper away. For instance the lights didn't work. He got into one of the benches and pretended to fiddle with the wires. "Hmm, they worked this weekend when we went camping... Must be a loose wire." For $20 I bought magnetic lights and off we went. On the lights, the issue was that the guy didn't realize he needed to run a ground alongside the LED Harbor Freight wiring harness. he grounded everything back to the fiberglass. So.. um, no, the lights didn't work last weekend.

But anyway, I was lucky to a point and ended up with a camper full of minor issues that a bit of sweat equity on my part could solve.

If I were to try to give advice I'd say that it's better if you can be patient. I was not patient and did okay, but could have gotten a better camper had I waited. Also, I'd highly recommend paying a bit more to buy from somebody on here who has a track record. Lots of scams out there...

Good luck,

Curbfeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:32 AM   #17
Name: Jerry
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Thank you, Dan
Good advise, again. And I will remember everything you said. I will wait.
Colorado Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:41 PM   #18
Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Originally Posted by Colorado Jerry View Post
OK Bill,
Iwill wait for you. But, do not work to hard!
Jerry from Colorado
Jerry, please send me a PM with your email address!

I am selling Scamp 13, and have placed ad on this forum,

Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote