17' Casita, bathroom and air - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #1

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
17' Casita, bathroom and air

We are looking for a Casita, with a full bath and air. ( No porta potty) We live in Iowa and would consider trips to surrounding states on a weekend to see it. Must be in good shape. Please PM me if you have something you think i might be interested in. I would like to stay somewhere between 5 and 7500$ Will check NADA and see what year would be available to me so i know about pricing. Thank you for looking.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Ahhhh Shelly, NADA is the last thing you should check when looking to buy a molded fiberglass trailer. NADA knows next to nothing about the value of these trailers and will provide you a very low pricing structure. You will be sadly disappointed when you actually go out to buy. I think most of us would snap up trailers at NADA pricing and could make a good living flippin' trailers. But those in the know when they're selling would just laugh.

Good luck!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #3

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Ditto on not looking this up in NADA. Search the ads and see the prices. These trailers do NOT lose their value. Don't wait asking too many questions either. In the fiberglass world, you snooze, you lose. We took 10 minutes to hit the "Buy It Now" for our Uhaul.

CindyL
Old 01-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #4

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
As suggested NADA is not a good place to figure out what the actual value of a fiberglass trailer is.

Better places to take a look at to determine what fair sales prices are would be the for sale section on this forum as well as a site where a lot of fiberglass trailers are listed. You can go back through the listings to get a feel for what the actual prices are for the various trailers.

Casita Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

I actually go through the above site a few times a year to pick out trailers that are the same age and type as my own and keep copies of the ads in a file. I need to do this as my insurance company each year asks me to reduce the replacement value of my trailer as it is standard policy to reduce the value of a stick trailer by as much as 20% per year - which is not the case with a fiberglass trailer. The insurance company advised me if I want to stick to my guns on the replacement value of my trailer I need to keep documents/ads for like trailers to prove/support my stated replacement value should I ever file a claim.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #5

Iowa
ok, good to know! Thank you everyone, i appreciate the advice. So Cindy, did you buy yours online on e bay? I would be scared to death to buy something sight unseen.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #6

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
We bought both of our fiberglass trailers on ebay and lucked out, I guess. Our previous fiberglass trailer was a Burro, like you had. We got it from an auto auction place in Gurnee, IL. We were able to at least look at that one from the outside through the fence before we finalized the bid. The other one, our Uhaul VT, we took our chances on. Someone on fiberglassrv was asking questions about it and provided a link to the ebay ad. I followed the link, showed the hubby, and 10 minutes later, we bought it. We picked it up on our way home from a conference in TX, not too much out of our way. It needed some work; we probably put 1500 dollars worth of fixing up and still need to fix a few things, but the guy we got it from was nice and honest.

CindyL
Old 01-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Craigs List

We bought our Scamp 16 and our son bought his Casita 16 on Craigs List. We limited our search radius to about 500 miles and drove to see them going with a check for at least a substantial downpayment.

Both rigs turned out to be good deals and in good condition.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #8

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
I'm in Minnesota and have been looking since early last fall. I'm looking for a 17 ft Casita Deluxe spirit or Liberty and they are no where to be found up here in the northland. Looks like we may have to travle to Texas, Georgia or Florida to find one. I sure hate the thought of buying sight unseen.
Good luck in your search!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #9

Iowa
Me too Karalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn View Post
I'm in Minnesota and have been looking since early last fall. I'm looking for a 17 ft Casita Deluxe spirit or Liberty and they are no where to be found up here in the northland. Looks like we may have to travle to Texas, Georgia or Florida to find one. I sure hate the thought of buying sight unseen.
Good luck in your search!
thanks Karalyn you too!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #10

Iowa
Closing this post as i found my first casita yesterday. Thank you all for your help!

Tags
casita