A Bruce with a 2013 Forester Man. Transmission... - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #1

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Hope to buy a Scamp 16'er
Washington
A Bruce with a 2013 Forester Man. Transmission...

Looking at a 16' Scamp, I can't seem to find anything else that size at this weight. I'm looking to buy in Feb./March 2014. My wife and I live in Port Angeles WA. Have a good day.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Hi Bruce, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here!

There are lots of kind and helpful people here on the forums. Have you already checked out this thread? Trailer Weights in the Real World

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #3

Washington
Yea I just saw that, now I'm scared...lol
Old 07-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200bruce View Post
Yea I just saw that, now I'm scared...lol
Naaaah. Just realistic stuff.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #5

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I don't know why they drastically lowered the tow capacity on the Forester. My 2012 can tow 2400 lbs (supposedly; I wouldn't want to do it over mountains.) As I recall the 2013 is 1500 lbs?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #6

Washington
It's 2400 too.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #7

Washington
Registry
Oh, right, it is the 2014 that is lower.

I tow with a 2012, basically the same as the 2013, also manual. I wouldn't want to tow anything close to the limit here in Washington, unless you plan to stay out of the mountains. But clearly from the list you can vary the weight on your trailer greatly by packing carefully and not adding heavy mods. Bathrooms add a lot of weight, traveling with water in the tanks (clean, gray, or black) adds a lot of weight. ACs add weight. And so on. Where the weight is also matters- if you can pack heavy stuff in the tow vehicle instead of the trailer it's easier to haul than the same stuff in the trailer (at least it feels like it is.) I think the car could easily tow 2400 on the flat. I just don't want to do it uphill.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Bobbie, you would probably be fine in the mountains with your 170HP 175TQ engine with a total weight of 6,000lbs (car plus trailer).

We towed a 2,500 lb Coleman Pop Up with our 150HP 180TQ Nissan Van all over North America including a trip through the Rookies. Not a problem and we were weighing 8,500 (Van plus trailer).
Attached Thumbnails
coleman 115-15457_IMG.jpg  
Old 07-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #9

Washington
Registry
I've driven in the mountains pulling my Campster and had to go up some grades at 45-50. I don't like having to get behind the semis at 25-30. If there are three lanes I'm fine with it- big trucks off to the side, then slowish trailers, then regular cars. But when there are only two lanes and the choice is very slow or fast, I'm glad I have a smaller trailer.

I guess it's all what you are comfortable doing.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #10

Name: Murphy
Trailer: Scamp 16' Delux
Washington
Ok with a 2013 Outback 6 cyl

We just got a 16' Scamp. We have a 2013 6cyl outback automatic. Drove and pulled no problem all the way back from Minnesota to Gig Harbor. Then we went went to San Francisco and back up 101, no problem there either. only thing I would add (and did in Butte, MT) is a anti-sway bar ($175.00 installed).
Attached Thumbnails
pickup.jpg  
Old 07-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #11

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Welcome Bruce!

My 16' Scamp with a side bath and no AC and only one propane tank and no water in the tanks appears on the Real World weight list twice - 33 & 37 and I can not for the life of me get that trailer under 2500lbs no matter how light I pack. I have weighed the trailer many times since and more often than not it comes in at slightly over 2600 lbs total as I like to have at least one change of clothing packed in it

I have put about 35,000 miles of towing the 16’ scamp with the Outback which as you know has a higher tow weight rating than the Forester so my trailers loaded weight falls within its tow specs and I have not had any incidents and it’s an OK tow but if I was starting out from scratch I would only tow a 13' Scamp with an Outback. I know its not what you want to hear but based on my personal experiences driving Subaru's for years, as well as towing, if I had a Forester I would not even consider towing a 16' with it. In fact my next vehicle will have a much higher tow rating. I have taken to towing the trailer for the past few years with the trailer at least 40lbs & more often than not at 60lbs over Subaru’s 200lb tongue weight limit as I find running at 200lbs only on the tongue is a sloppy tow if going over 55 mph & one would be counting heavily on their sway bar to work if you have one.

At the recent meet a fellow with a new to him Scamp 16' with the same layout as mine but with the added weight of roof AC towing with an older Forester came to talk to me about concerns he had with his brake controller set up after his experience towing the trailer for the first time to the meet. He was pretty surprised to hear what his trailer probable weighed loaded for camping as he though his was only 1700lbs unloaded. He said that when he took his foot off the brakes he can feel the trailer pushing the car Although that’s not my experience pulling the same trailer with an Outback, I was not a surprised to hear that was happening with his older Forester, as its a much lighter/smaller vehicle.

I am all for keeping with smaller economical tow vehicles if and when its possible to do it safely and white knuckle free. But based on my experience unless you are willing to tow around at 55 mph or slower you may be pushing the safety margin into the red zone for you and your passengers, as well those of us you share the road with should you decide to tow a 16' with the Forester. There are a *few* folks here who will tell you to give it a go and that you should be OK. There is only one thing you can count on in regards to that and it is if they are wrong and its not OK they will not be the ones paying your medical or legal bills.

Regarding the lowering of the tow limit on the new Forester - was told by the local dealer that it was due to some changes to components of the rear suspension as well as some changes to the transmission components/design for the Forester.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #12

Name: Jim
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Utah
The reason why the tow weight dropped dramatically with the 2014 Forester is because they switched to the new constant velocity transmission (the kind that doesn't shift) It's dramatically different from a regular tranny and so you can't pull hardly anything.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #13

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Gets great mileage though. Since you can't go anywhere.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #14

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkill View Post
The reason why the tow weight dropped dramatically with the 2014 Forester is because they switched to the new constant velocity transmission (the kind that doesn't shift) It's dramatically different from a regular tranny and so you can't pull hardly anything.
If it's the cvt, it's going to tow much worse than the others, if it's the same as the cvt they put in the 2011 legacy. I test drove one and had my foot buried in the throttle body to try and make on ramps without getting ran over on the highway. I ordered the manual, and it's an entirely different car, feels like another 50hp.

I know I sure wouldn't want a 16' scamp behind my legacy, a 4x8 trailer with 3 kayaks is noticeable, and I doubt it weighed 500 lbs. If nothing else, the shifting would get old. I was dropping into fifth on some, and even fourth on a few hills. I couldn't imagine another 2000 lbs, myself.