a little trailer - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #1

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
a little trailer

hi, my first post so please forgive my mistakes! I'm looking for a small trailer, 13' I think. my GMC canyon has the towing capacity of a 98 pound girl so weight is the first consideration. located somewhere along the central east coast would be helpful. not looking for perfect condition, minor repairs I can do. a travel potty would be a nice option. I hope I'm not asking for the moon! thanks

Old 04-05-2014, 10:48 PM   #2

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Sharon a great place to keep an eye of for a trailer if you haven't already found it is Fiberglass-RV-4sale.com.

Be warned a lot of sellers will understate the actual weight of their trailers so a great thread to look through here to get a good handle on how much you can expect a certain brand and size of trailer to weigh once you have it loaded up for camping is called Trailer Weights In The Real World.

Have fun shopping!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:36 PM   #3

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry

Hi, Sharon, and welcome to our little bit of Egg Heaven. In addition to knowing the trailer weights, make sure you know the max tow rating for your Canyon. Sounds like a 13 will probably be what you need.
As far as a potty, most of the lightweight 13's use a porta-potti that slips under the front couch area. It saves space and weight in the campers.

Please feel free to xplore around the various forums on this site and you'll learn a lot about these little campers. Enjoy the hunt!
Old 04-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Depending on which year and drive train is in your Canyon, some are rated to tow up to 6000 lbs. Why don't you look in the owners manual that came with your rig and find the exact towing limit for what you have and we can make some suggestions.

If you don't have the original manual, post the year, engine and transmission combination here and I am sure someone will have the info you need for starting to look.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #5

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
If you don't have the original manual, post the year, engine and transmission combination here and I am sure someone will have the info you need for starting to look.
Which rear end would help too. I don't know about the Canyon, but all that information was listed in various numbers on the door plate of my Ranger.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #6

California
Consumer grade GM products tend to be tow rated based on engine and transmission combinations and, on occasion, if a towing package is installed. . Different axle ratios usually go with what ever engine/transmission combination Is used.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome Sharon. East Coaster here also. Good luck on the search. Try craigslist also for Virginia and N.C. I'll keep my eyes open. Send me a quick private message so I can keep your name handy. Just click on my name papa-t and select private message. Just say hi and I will have it in case I find one around. Good luck. Also check out:
http://rvs.smartcarguide.com/scamp-13
Old 04-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #8

Name: Rick & Rei
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Kansas
We have a 2006 Canyon-4 cylinder-manual shift.
We towed our 13 ft. Casita to Mt. Rushmore.
Did fine until we had to go uphill or drive into the wind.
It struggled a bit but shifting to 3rd gear helped.
We made it fine but traveled at a slower speed than we like.
Just dont load the trailer or the Canyon with to much stuff.
You will do fine-just enjoy your travels.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky 4 View Post
You will do fine-just enjoy your travels.
I'm not one to agree with such generalized statements without at least a few facts to back them up.

The OP hasn't told us which Canyon she has and some are rated as low as an 1800 lb. towing limit. (Which is why I kept my Sonoma for 10 years)

In as much as about 1/2 of the 13' trailers listed in the real weight list exceed that limit, it's may be a bit early to make any assumptions about what can be pulled with the OP's TV.

And, the old saw: "I did it, so you can do it" isn't always a good one to use, especially with someone new to trailering.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #10

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Welcome aboard, Sharon. We too are in VA. Have you had a chance to look at any FGRVs? I got bitten by OECD (Is everyone as obsessed with eggs?) last year while looking at teardrops. We went to the Townsend rally and got a chance to look at a large variety of trailers--Burro, U-haul, Boler, Scamp, Casita, Oliver, Escape--which gave us a real good feel for sizes and types. You don't have to own to attend.

I ended up buying an '89 Bigfoot 17.5 ft. We also met some very nice folks here in VA that allowed us to look at their trailers at their homes.
Enjoy the hunt!
Old 04-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #11

Ontario
Towing Capacity Chart | Vehicle Towing Capacity | GMC
Old 04-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #12

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
thanks everyone for the advice & warm welcome! my truck is a 2008 gmc canyon, 2 wheel drive, no owner's manual.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #13

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Consumer grade GM products tend to be tow rated based on engine and transmission combinations and, on occasion, if a towing package is installed. . Different axle ratios usually go with what ever engine/transmission combination Is used.
Now that we know a little more about the OP's vehicle, there are still quite a few options including rear end that will determine the tow rating.
http://www.bigboystoys.ca/Portals/45...08TowGuide.pdf
Old 04-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #14

California
I realize that some have a rear end fixation, but more critical in GM's tow ratings is the engine, 4 or 5 cylinder, the transmission, 5 speed or automatic, and the body type, standard, extended cab or crew cab.

While a lower axle ratio may make a difference in towing, it won't make a difference in the tow rating for the OP's vehicle.

The current range for towing for 2008 GMC Canyons is "Towing Capacity: 1,900 - 5,500 lbs." In the case of earlier GMC trucks the lowest towing capacity went to the 4 cylinder/5 speed driveline and is the very reason that I did not buy a new Canyon myself some yeas back.

That said, if carefully loaded, the OP's vehicle should be able to safely tow most 13' FGRV's. But weigt checks would be highly recommended.