Anything 1500lbs or less in CA - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #1

Name: nichia
Trailer: IN THE MARKET
California
Anything 1500lbs or less in CA

Looking for a trailer in decent shaper that is 1500lbs or less with bunks for small kids. I live in Ventura County, CA, but can drive a few hours north or south. Thanks!

Old 06-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #2

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
to the forum. When you get your rig come back, we're plenty helpful.
Keep your eyes on this site. There's also a buyers check list in the documents centre here.

Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Cheers,
Mark

Old 06-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #3

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Also take a look here at the real world trailer weights so you have some idea as to what type of trailer comes in at under 1500lbs - as you will see not many. Looks like the only one you have a good chance at keeping under 1500lbs is the Compact Jr. and I am not sure what the layout in that is like for small children.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
Carol,
You are so right on real world weights. Most tent trailers even weigh a lot more than 1,500 pounds. One Compact II in our area weighs in at 2,200 pounds empty.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #5

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
If you are into new here's a link to the Trillium trailers in CA
trilliumrv.com
Old 06-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #6

California
Thanks for your help!

yes, it's going to be tough to find something light enough. That link to real weights is important, so thanks! I'll need to install brakes on whatever I find and will probably need to keep the water tank empty, but my main goal is to stay warm and dry. You guys are great...can't wait till I can participate for real!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Welcome! Glad you joined us......... Your from my part of the world. Grew up in Ojai. Love Ventura County! Anyway, my suggestion would be to weigh anything your are thinking of purchasing, before you buy. Get the selller to take it to a scale and weigh it. It cost between $8 to $15, money well spent. Don't go buy manufactures weights because they do not include AC. Fridge, Propane tanks, etc etc etc........... So having a certificate of the weight will keep you within the guide lines your looking for. Best of luck! And again, Welcome!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #8

California
Good idea

Yes, I will definitely get a weight measurement before I buy...excellent idea. PS- I live in Ojai!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #9

British Columbia
Registry
Nichia - If the seller gives you a weight ask them if they have every actually weighed it. There a lot of people who never have weighed their trailers full of their stuff and they are giving you their best guess which in most cases is *way* off. More than a few people have put there trailers on a scale only to be shocked at the actual weight. They have then taken everything out of their trailers including food and clothing etc and weighed it only to be shocked to learn they have between 600 to 800lbs of stuff in it if they count the battery and propane tanks (which you need to as they are not included in most dry weights). I know more than one who has ended up buying a new tow vehicle after having actually weighed their trailer loaded. To keep weight down in my trailer I use a number of items in the trailer from my back packing days - nice and light. Outdoor supply stores such as REI are a good place to start - especially on items such as sleeping bags & pots and pans which both can add weight fast.

Chuck: I am often surprised when I see some of the set ups people are using for tent trailers. I suspect more than a few do not have a clue as to how much the tent trailers weigh either, especially on the tongue. Once parked beside a fairly decent sized SUV with a tent trailer and the back end on it was so low I though the front wheels of the SUV would pop off the ground. It looked like a scary drive to me.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #10

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
trailer weights

Nichia Our go to guy on trailer weights is Frederick Simpson. He weighs our trailers at the Bandon gathering and hence has real traveling weights for a wide variety of our trailers. Our U-haul , lightly loaded for a 5 day trip, weighed in by Frederick at 1480 lbs total, so some of the 13s might meet your weight target. I expect Frederick will chime in on this topic soon, if not you can pm him. Lee
Old 06-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
# 01 and #06

Why so much difference in weight? both same model , ie 13 foooter burro b13
thanks
Old 06-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #12

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray rod View Post
Why so much difference in weight? both same model , ie 13 foooter burro b13
thanks
One might have an AC on it the other may not - one may have a microwave or 2 propane tanks or an awning or water in the holding tanks the other may not.... .... to hard to say for sure as every trailer is different in regards to its optional equipment and what people carry in them.

Always best to add between 600 to 800lbs to the manufactures dry weight just to be sure....
Old 06-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #13

California
Just got my 1984 13' Scamp delivered last night from an awesome couple in L.A. I'll spend some time on cosmetic issues, but it should be ready for its first trip in a couple of week! Woohoo!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #14

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by huxtabio View Post
Yes, I will definitely get a weight measurement before I buy...excellent idea. PS- I live in Ojai!
You do? Have you lived there for a long time? Was just in Vegas with friends from high school. Yup Nordhoff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huxtabio View Post
Just got my 1984 13' Scamp delivered last night from an awesome couple in L.A. I'll spend some time on cosmetic issues, but it should be ready for its first trip in a couple of week! Woohoo!

Congrat's! Do post pic's of your new to you glass egg! One thing I would definately check on is when the last time the bearings were packed! Easy maintence and well worth doing. Get it cleaned up to your liking and get out and camp! Enjoy!

Oh and in Oct there is a rally out at Lake Casitas! Would be a great gathering, obviously close to home () and you could see all the great lil trailer brands and have some fun at the same time..............