Bonair Oxygen Trailer Wanted - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #15

Name: Brian
Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester/ 2012 Toyota Highlander
British Columbia
Registry
There was a Bonair Ozygen at the Oregon Gathering in Bandon OR July 14 to 17.

The owner lives in Quesnel, BC. I don't think it is for sale, but this picture might help.

See this link: Flying South for the Spring!
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP2898sm.jpg  

Old 07-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #16

Name: Camping
Trailer: Bonair, Oxygen 2001
North Carolina
Je ne crois pas que vous sachiez ce qu'est ce camper...

Je suis du Quebec, et nous avons acheter ce camper au Quebec.....
Le premier model a ete fabriquer en 2001....et nous l'avons avec nous...

et nous avons acheter a 27 000$ CDN.....et avons ajouter dessus....avec Bonair......

Je crois que les gens qui nous on rejoint depuis...savent vraiment ce qu'ils veulent et de ce qu'ils parlent....

We did pay 27 000$ in 2001 add add on with Bonair Cie...

This model is a 2001....They made it 2 years in arrow...

Thank God....

Bonair close their door because the administration fell a part not because the Oxygen...REALLY...I think you need to do some research.....before saying thing on the net...

We are from Quebec.....and work in USA.....and we wellknown the owner of Bonair.....Mr.Daudier.

Some people.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normand Choiniere View Post
There is one available right here :
bonair Varennes | LesPAC.com

The guy is asking 14,500$ CDN (he says he is negotiable) but they habitually sell around 10.000$ CDN.

Those trailers were made until 2002 (I think!) exclusively in Quebec by Bonair who was marketing many models, most of them were not fiber glass. They were in a difficult financial situation at that time and decided to launch a "revolutionary" FG model that would save them. They hoped! But their experience in integral fiberglass models was none.

It was a total failure. That model had so many problems (especially delamination) that this has been the last nail to the coffin. They also had at the same time a fire on the production line and opted for bankruptcy. Most of those trailers are located in Quebec. Some come on the market each year and they are sold at a very high non justified price. They should be carefully inspected. People buy them essentially for their "look". You will not find them easily elsewhere and certainly not in Western Canada.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #17

Name: Normand
Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
My opinion on this trailer relies on the testimony of many French speaking owners participating to French speaking forums based in Quebec. It is a fact that Bonair had many problems with the Oxygen which is understandable as this was their first integral FG trailer and a totally new model and concept. This is not surprising at all.

The introduction of a new model is also frequently a killer. This is exactly what happened to Trillium when they introduced the very limited edition of the 5500 (somewhere between 65-85 units). Even if they were very experienced with integral FG trailer (they were producing the 1300 and 45000) and if the 5500 was not a problematic product, this was also their last nail in the coffin. Trillium also introduced this new model when they were in a difficult financial sitution.

i don't know Bonair's owner and also don't know if the administration was also falling apart but a company rarely closes its doors when they are making money and are in a good financial situation. Those companies are normally sold to someone else. You don't get into a bankruptcy and close doors when everything goes well...

As far as the selling prices around 10,000$ look at this one :

2002 17ft Bonair Oxygen - Only 1600lbs

As I mentioned most of them are advertised near 10,000$ whatever is the price paid by the original owner and what money he putted in it. This is more in line with the price of 10 years old FGRV. As a reminder a brand new and superb Escape (19 feet) sells for 24,000 CDN$.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #18

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Play nice everyone. Prior to the big hack, we had lots of information about the Bonair Oxygen. Sadly most of that is gone forever. Here is one good topic that speaks to the "whys" Bonair went into bankruptcy.

Oxygen Campers
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
If the Oxygen was molded FG, how could it delaminate? I'm puzzled by that.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #20

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Here is a link to the material used in the Oxygen:
Nida-Core Structure Honeycomb Core - Composite Material - Lightweight, High Strength Thermoplastic Honecyomb
You can see the Oxygen about 2/3 the way down the page.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Wow, that's very interesting stuff. I didn't realize the Oxygen was made that way.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #22

Name: Normand
Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Here is a link to the material used in the Oxygen:
Nida-Core Structure Honeycomb Core - Composite Material - Lightweight, High Strength Thermoplastic Honecyomb
You can see the Oxygen about 2/3 the way down the page.
That's it. Now I remember (and understand) more precisely what I read on this trailer. They had problems with that material. Forumners were, may be wrong and this may be using an improper term, but they were talking about "delamination". This is probably what also caused those "structural problems" as someone else mentioned. As I can understand it the fiberglass was bonded to that Nida-Core material.

Is that material used now by another make of trailer? There are reasons why that shape, type of construction and look was not yet incorporated by another FGRV maker. There are also reasons why the integral FGRV design has not basically changed in the las 40 years or so. You don't change a winning formula and fix what already works well.

I also remember now that dealers were not properly trained with that type of material (and construction) making service a little complicated (and may be relations with the manufacturer as someone also mentioned).

I still think that someone should be careful buying that trailer. May be their last production models were better than their first?
Old 07-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #23

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Boler hunting
British Columbia
A little background info goes a long way...

Thanks for the info. Looks can be deceiving, can't they? Seemed like a good idea, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normand Choiniere View Post
There is one available right here :
bonair Varennes | LesPAC.com

The guy is asking 14,500$ CDN (he says he is negotiable) but they habitually sell around 10.000$ CDN.

Those trailers were made until 2002 (I think!) exclusively in Quebec by Bonair who was marketing many models, most of them were not fiber glass. They were in a difficult financial situation at that time and decided to launch a "revolutionary" FG model that would save them. They hoped! But their experience in integral fiberglass models was none.

It was a total failure. That model had so many problems (especially delamination) that this has been the last nail to the coffin. They also had at the same time a fire on the production line and opted for bankruptcy. Most of those trailers are located in Quebec. Some come on the market each year and they are sold at a very high non justified price. They should be carefully inspected. People buy them essentially for their "look". You will not find them easily elsewhere and certainly not in Western Canada.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #24

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen
I have one for sale in Western Canada,( posted in the for sale thread) and have owned it for 9 years. I have never had any problems with it, and have towed and used many miles every summer since owning it. It has served my family very well, and am very sad to have to let it go, our family has grown to 6 and have to say it's just a little small for us now.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #25

Name: Trevor
Nova Scotia
Registry
Halifax N.S.

I'm in Halifax N.S. and have a 2000 Oxygen. Great condition.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #26

Name: Co
Ontario
There is one for sale

Hi Kevin,

There is one for sale under NB | Bonair Oxygen for sale ( 1 2)

Two items below yours on the main page.....
Old 09-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #27

Name: Carolyn Joy
Trailer: In the market
Alberta
hello Donna,
I see that you are a keen senior member and you seem to know lots about all the trailers.
So what do you know about the Oxygens? I am living up in Edmonton.. we do not get a great variety of opportunity to see fiberglass travel trailer for sale. So I am hoping you can just let me know if they have a good reputation among the fiberglass small trailer crowd. I appreciate any feedback. I am looking at one I saw posted on kijij tonight. I have never heard of them .
Joy in Edmonton

Tags
oxygen