Buffalo, NY in need of small used camper less than 5g - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #1
Name: Tera
Trailer: Shopping!
New York
Buffalo, NY in need of small used camper less than 5g

Hi everyone! What a great website! Hope you can help me. My boss keeps giving me paid vacation, but no raise. I have a 5 year old daughter and we love camping. Also, there's some little trips we'd like to do. Crayola Factory first! So I figure a camper will be a good investment, and as she gets older, we can go farther and farther. I drive a 2002 Honda CRV, towing capacity 1500#, so I need something light. and we definitely need a bathroom. It seems a lot of the campers for sale here are really huge RV's. Is it that they're just not listed or they're not popular here? There also seems to be so many kinds, I thought you could help me figure out what to ask for before I go in person. Or if someone sees something here please let me know. I want to buy an old one and was hoping to keep it under $5000. It can be ugly and I don't mind fixing it up, but I would like everything to be in working order, as I don't know how I would have it serviced. I'm attracted to the round sort of retro ones, but I'm not picky. is this possible? How long will it take to find one? And can we bring our cat?

Tera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
Name: Gary
Trailer: Burro
Burro for Sale, Des Moines Iowa

I have my 1979 Burro 13 foot for sale. I listed it on March 3rd on Craigslist in Des Moines iowa. If interested go to Craigslist Des Moines, RV/camping and search for Burro. The ad has information on condition and a host of pictures. It is ready to camp in 2014. Check it out. Good luck on your search.

Gary Hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Tera first take a look at the thread called Trailer Weights in the Real World to determine what make of trailer you can expect to load up for camping and be under your 1500lb towing capacity.

Then check Fiberglass-RV-4sale.com a couple of times a day.

BTW I think you will find that finding a trailer 1500lbs or less with a bathroom is going to be a tall order.... more likely to have a porta potty.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Yep, the 13' Scamp with front bath runs over 1500 lbs with stuff aboard....

About the only lighter one I know of with a fixed bathroom (but no shower) is the Hunter Compact-II with the bathroom option. They weigh a tad under 1000 lbs and are frequently available in the $3-4000 price range in need of some refinements. They are a pop-up and somewhat cozy, but would work well with a parent and small child.

They were only built in 1971-1974(?)

Keep your eyes on <<<fiberglass-RV-4sale.com>>> there are 2 of them listed as of today.
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I'm not sure about this but it looked like Tera was getting Rick's Compact Jr. the "Tiki Hut". Thought one of them would have posted the outcome.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:48 AM   #6
Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream owner
Hi Tera. Consider checking out glass eggs north of the border. They are popular up here and your US dollar will go farther. Good luck with your venture. Searching for a new trailer can be a lot of fun.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Name: Alice
Trailer: 2015 T@B M@X CS-S - Condo A-Go-Go
Tera, I have a 13' Scamp with full bath and it weighs 1840#. I know from personal experience the CRV is a fine vehicle, but would not want to put it to the test with a fully loaded Scamp. It's a big safety issue and possibly insurance if you are in an accident. If you go into a Subaru Forester or Outback you could pull 2400# or 2700# respectively. Again, I used the Forester to pull Scamp. Good gas mileage too.

Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
Trailer: 13 ft Burro
have a 13' Burro all restored and up graded

hi I have a 13' Burro its a 1978 but has been restored and up graded with many new parts to many to list I am 75 miles from you in Dansville ny email me if you are interested with a phone # and I will call Dennis diggerone_9910@yahoo.com
Dennis w Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #9
New York
Still waiting for the snowstorms to stop so that I can look at the tiki hut!
Old 05-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
New York
Got it!