CA - Looking for a 13' Scamp or similar - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: ln the market
California
CA - Looking for a 13' Scamp or similar

I'm in Los Angeles. Looking for a 13' scamp or similar fiberglass trailer. No bathroom necessary. Looking for space for two adults and one child. I'd like the kind with bunk beds on one side and the dinette/bed on the other. I'm thinking around $5-6K depending on how nice and how new.

you can email me. I'm willing to drive a bit to pick one up.

jasonleemiller@ca.rr.com

Old 08-26-2014, 10:56 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Hi Jay and welcome to the world of FGRV's.

Being in SoCal you need to know that 13' FGRV's are always HOT, priced about the same as Orange County real estate, and don't stay on the market long.
I guess what I am saying is to keep your eyes on all of the area Craigslist's, and be ready to run out the door as soon as a candidate appears.

For what it's worth we found and bought the following in the past few years:
a 2005 13' Scamp, in Phoenix, a 1998, 13' Lil'Bigfoot in Riverside, a 2002, 13' Scamp in Santa Fe Springs and a 1973 13' Hunter Compact-II in Livermore. All were grabbed within 4 hours of the ads appearing and even at that the Phoenix seller sold it out from under us after we drove 325 miles to pick it up. In short, it's a tough market in SoCal.

Also keep your eyes on fiberglass-rv-4sale.com, but most of it's ads in SoCal are reposts from CraigsList listings.

Good Luck

Bob Miller
Riverside, CA

Old 08-27-2014, 01:03 AM   #3

California
thanks, Bob. I appreciate the advice. I'll keep my eyes peeled. I can be patient at times.

I just sold my 1979 VW Westfalia so I'm looking for a little fiberglass trailer that I can both put in my small backyard but also take on the road for short trips. 13' seems like it would fit perfectly in an area I have so that I would be able to use it as a playroom for my son or even have him bunk up there with other kids when family comes to visit. Then take it on the road when the urge hits.

I saw one on CL a couple of days ago but of course it was gone in no time. I was hoping to have something by Springtime. My buddy said I might have some better luck in the winter months. Thoughts on this?
Old 08-27-2014, 01:10 AM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Prices tend to dip a bit this time of year (somewhat regionally dependent) with a trend toward fewer being put on the market as it gets into winter, but with fewer people in the market. Sort of a general observation not a hard and fast rule. May be different in parts of the country that have milder seasons and don't consider summer three months of bad snowmobiling.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:31 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Welcome to FGRV, as others have said they go fast. Keep cash on hand and a full tank of gas so you are ready. BTW, what is your tow ?
Old 08-27-2014, 06:47 AM   #6

California
SoCal Shopping

While prices and interest don't dip as much in the winter here as in Frozen Nose, MN, there is a bit of a lull. At the same time the ratio of buyers to sellers remains about the same.

In short, in SoCAl, if it's still available after about three days, it's either overpriced or has major problems, ranging from mold to damage to being overpriced or has has title troubles.

For more casual use you might also consider something like a Hunter Compact or a Campster. Here's some pics:

Hunter Compact II Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

Feel free to browse the others.

BTW: Where are you located in CA
Old 08-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Welcome to FGRV, as others have said they go fast. Keep cash on hand and a full tank of gas so you are ready. BTW, what is your tow ?
I would borrow or rent a truck if I found one tomorrow. Eventually looking to buy the 2015 chevy Colorado diesel when it comes out. Small compact diesel truck has been on my wantlist for about 10 years.

I live on the westside in Los Angeles to answer the question just above.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:23 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Run an ad on this site and others posting looking for one and keep posting to it once a month or so. I had better luck this way than chasing the craigslist ads and the rv trader. Craigs list sales go within hours, if your not on the way there when the ad posts you will be too late. With 22 million people in So Cal there is a horde of people looking for the same thing. Good luck with your search.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #9

California
I would add in Steve's idea to your search, but that's pretty passive. I bought all but one of the last 2 pop-up trailers and 6 FGRV's I bought through Craigslist ads, and that one exception was a walk-up in my own neighborhood.

Not only that, as the o.p. is a newbie to FGRV's, following Craigslist ads may give him the opportunity to look at and evaluate a number of rigs before buying.

I'd do both to cover all bases.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #10

California
Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I'll keep looking and let you know if/when I find something.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #11

California
Still looking for a 13' beauty. Cash in hand anywhere within 5-6 hours driving of Los Angeles. There have been a few up for sale lately but either up in Washington, over in Florida or in Texas.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #12

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCamp View Post
Still looking for a 13' beauty. Cash in hand anywhere within 5-6 hours driving of Los Angeles. There have been a few up for sale lately but either up in Washington, over in Florida or in Texas.
Keep your eyes on Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com if you have not already seen it. Think you will find that folks on the coast are still using the trailers so not many for sale currently ... might change in the fall or early next spring.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #13

California
Did you see the Boler here in Riverside?
13ft Boler Fiberglass any car pull rare camp trailer redone

Or the 16' Scamp in Oceanside?
Scamp Trailer
Old 09-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #14

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Keep your eyes on Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com if you have not already seen it. Think you will find that folks on the coast are still using the trailers so not many for sale currently ... might change in the fall or early next spring.
Oh yes. I have that page open and refresh daily, sometimes more. I also do a search on ebay nationwide and also on this site and another facebook link.

Tags
scamp