Considering a 2004 Big Foot M25RQ - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: ITM
Florida
Considering a 2004 Big Foot M25RQ

I am new at this and want to make a decision soon. Therefore I hope to get some decision making advice here. My wife and I are considering a 2004 Big Foot M25RQ. It is in Oregon we are in Florida. So here are our plans. We will go see it if we are convinced it is a good idea.

1. What should our focus be on for inspection? Understood things need to be updated upgraded etc. Are there any big issues we need to focus on and how do we check for them.

2. We will either tow or ship (whichever is cheaper) any ideas for shipping companies if that is the plan.

3. Any thing else we need to consider that I missed here.

Any and all advice is truly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Mike

zorrou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:11 AM   #2

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
Hi Mike,

At that distance you are talking about $10,000 in logistics costs, that is if you look at it solely as getting it home. 25 ft Bigfoots don't have any particular problem issues but expect several minor things to need attention. You will need a seller who freely communicates and provides information including numerous photographs. If getting information out of him is like pulling teeth then forget about it. If it looks promising, find someone who is an RV mechanic who lives in that area to go examine the trailer and complete a standard RV purchaser's checklist. You want to know if the major electrical and water systems are functioning correctly and check for signs of leaks (present and past) around roof and window openings, plumbing and water and waste tanks. Refrigerators can go bad at that age and they are really expensive to replace. Before it can be towed across country the bearings and brakes need to be serviced and the tires (including the spare) need to be LESS than five years old. Of course you will want to know if there has been any past body or suspension damage.

If you go after it go with a 3/4 or one ton truck. Although you can tow a 25' Bigfoot with a smaller vehicle, the larger more stable vehicle will allow for more comfortable stress free towing. Take your tool box and a multi-meter.

All of that being said, this could be an opportunity for a dream trip. Instead of trying to see how fast you can get back home you could spend a month or more traveling down the west coast then across the desert southwest and the south. That would be a great this time of year and you would not be merely paying the cost to get the trailer transported home.

Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #3

Florida
Thanks Bruce

Great advice, I appreciate you taking your time to help us. I will let you know what we decide. Thank You once again.

Mike
Old 01-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #4

Name: Dan
Trailer: Bigfoot 30th Anv. 25B25FB
Washington
Should be a fairly solid unit if taken care of as all Bigfoots are. However for models from I believe 2002 through 2005, there were some problems with window seal creep. You can google it. Had to do with the vendor and was corrected by Bigfoot in 06' if I recall. That's not to say all trailers in this time frame had a problem, but something I would ask seller to send pictures of, to see if there is any creep on any seals. Also I think it was more cosmetic than affecting function.
Wacenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #5

Florida
Yep Great

I have received a lot of pics and it looks very clean. Of course need to replace fixtures and minor details. The brakes and bearings are good tips. As for the big picture I plan on at least several K in cost to bring up to our expectations but the base is what we are interested in. These things seem to be built like tanks.

Mike
Old 01-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #6

Name: Dan
Trailer: Bigfoot 30th Anv. 25B25FB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrou812 View Post
I have received a lot of pics and it looks very clean. Of course need to replace fixtures and minor details. The brakes and bearings are good tips. As for the big picture I plan on at least several K in cost to bring up to our expectations but the base is what we are interested in. These things seem to be built like tanks.

Mike
Bigfoots if taken care of by previous owner(s) are awesome. Common sense maintenance like re-caulking roof accessories (i.e. a/c, skylight, fans, etc) make for happy camping and return on your investment if you sell. Good luck on your purchase.
Wacenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:49 AM   #7

Name: Justus
Trailer: Shopping For Our 1st
Illinois
We had a car shipped once using uShip. I wish we had done more research on the provider we picked. uShip puts your request out to brokers, who then provide you a quote. You can choose among the quotes offered. We picked the lowest offer without doing any research on the broker; they have a 1-star rating on Yelp. We got our car but it was an unecessarily stressful experience that costs us extra in the end. So uShip may be a good place to get some initial quotes if not a transporter; just do your research before jumping at that enticing lowball offer.

Our cost to ship a car from Jacksonville, FL to San Diego, CA (about 2300 miles) was $1,150 in 2015. I knew a group that arranged a direct transport for the same trip with a driver--that is about as cheap as you can get. 7 cars on the truck and they paid $700 a piece. I'm sure that was a strange sight in a restaurant parking lot for everyone driving down Mayport Road.

When we made the reverse trip back to Jacksonville, we drove both cars and took five days with the cats in tow. With decent hotels, gas, and food, we were under $1,000. To be fair, I averaged 40 mpg and my wife averaged 32, but our combined fuel costs would about equal that of a truck. Could've made it faster and cheaper without those parasites along for the ride!

Good luck with the Bigfoot! Enjoy the trip out West if you end up going that route. Highly recommend taking your time getting back
Old 01-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #8

Florida
WOW great stuff from everybody

THANKS

Hope to see you all on the road.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #9

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
We went from Chicago to Oregon to get our 28' Bigfoot. We camped in it on the way home, got caught in a snowstorm and learned things about camping in our camper while snowbound in WY. It did need some minor repair where a window leaked, but it was not a big deal. Due to age (1987 camper), it also needed new tires, new fridge, and new door.
I would heed the advice of having a pretty good tow vehicle. We had a weight distribution hitch attached and were towing with a Ford Expedition with a top towing package and still had some awful sway going home. We replaced that hitch with a ProPride and have no issues now.

No regrets on the trip. We love our Bigfoot.

CindyL
Old 01-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #10

Name: Russ
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Perhaps I am thrown off by the "M" in a M25 Rq. Is this a regular 25 Rq???
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:21 PM   #11

Name: R.W. Rick
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 25B175CB
Alberta
Mike,

Suggest You put a similar post over on the Bigfoot Owners' Site.

Bigfoot Owners Club International |

Both WEB Sites have great Members.

Rick + 25B175CB + RAM 1500 + Tsunami 14.5
Tug Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #12

Name: Maggie
Trailer: Big Foot
California
Quote:
I am new at this and want to make a decision soon. Therefore I hope to get some decision making advice here. My wife and I are considering a 2004 Big Foot M25RQ. It is in Oregon we are in Florida. So here are our plans. We will go see it if we are convinced it is a good idea.

1. What should our focus be on for inspection? Understood things need to be updated upgraded etc. Are there any big issues we need to focus on and how do we check for them.

2. We will either tow or ship (whichever is cheaper) any ideas for shipping companies if that is the plan.

Sincerely,
Mike
We’re putting our 2006 25RQ on the market very soon. It has been converted to twin beds but can easily be turned into any configuration. It’s been renovated and has some really nice upgrades. Also new tires and suspension. I’ve posted it on this forum recently. We’re in Sacramento CA but we drove to Tallahassee to buy it. Worth the trip and we’re sad to have to sell it. My opinion about this model is that it’s just about as perfect as it can get as far as the floor plan and livability. We have many photos and all the paperwork of our money spent maintaining it. Stored indoors and waxed yearly. Happy travels, Maggie and John Harris 916-996-9045
Maggie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #13

Trailer: Shopping
Alaska
I purchased a 21’ Big Foot a couple years ago. It’s been a great trailer. First thing I did after purchase was reseal all roof penetrations. I did have to replace tires and I would highly recommend you do a good inspection on tires. What ever you buy double check the speed rating. Some less expensive tires are only rated for 65mph. You’ll be towing faster then that.

Another thing about Big Foot is the customer support is really good. Being my first travel trailer I had a steep learning curve on all the systems. All my questions where answered quickly and professionally through e-mail.

As you mentioned Big Foot is extreamly well built. That said you’ll need a small tool kit for loose nuts and screws.
Cub_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot
Bigfoot in Florida

Quote:

Sincerely,
Mike
We have a 2006 Bigfoot rear queen that we plan to sell at the end of March. Beginning 20 January we will be at Fort Clinch State Park, Florida. Atfter that, Gamble Rogers State Park, Anastasia State park, Grayton Beach state park and Henderson Beach, and ending up back at Grayton. If you would like to examine our rig we can provide specific dates when we will be at each location. We are selling because trailering is getting a bit much for us as we are mid 70s. We may also be a couple days at East Bank COE if they are open.
Ron and Sandy Gove

R&SGove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot