Difference between 17' Bigfoot and Boler - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #1

Name: Valerie
Trailer: Looking for my own egg
British Columbia
Difference between 17' Bigfoot and Boler

Hello everyone.

I'm hoping to join the ranks of fibreglass trailer ownership this summer. My difficulty is that I live somewhere that costs at least $100 and hours of travel to go look at trailers. I'm doing a lot of preliminary searching online, but pictures and sellers descriptions only go so far. I'm looking for a model with at least an enclosed toilet and three sleeping areas (even if an overhead bunk). So far, units available in south-western B.C. appear to be Bolers and Bigfoots in my price range. I'll be towing with a Ford v6 Escape with a class 2 towing package, so total weight loaded can't exceed 3500 lbs.

I would be grateful for any information that would help me narrow my focus, or let me know to consider both models equally.

Thanks

Valerie

Old 05-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT20
Michigan
I've towed our Bigfoot with our Mercury Mariner 245hp. 3500 gvw.
I wouldn't want to do it all the time.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: 17ft Bigfoot trailer
British Columbia
Hey Valerie,

I'd be happy to share my experience if helpful.

We too (my wife, myself, 9 yr boy and 5 yr girl) were looking for a Fiberglas trailer last year. Initially we thought that Boler's were the way to go because we really loved the cool 'retro' styling, light weight (our tow vehicle is a V6 Jeep Liberty) and functionality. Soon we discovered that for our needs/desires, the Boler's were just too small. We then thought maybe a Trillium would be better-same cool kinda look and slept 4...better than a Boler in terms of size but we had trouble finding one in our price range at the time we wished to purchase. Soon we recived an email from a friend who said he had a 1986 17ft Bigfoot that might work for us. At this point, BF's were not really on our 'radar'. We went look at it and were amazed by how much room they had on the inside-very well laid out. Also, the amenities like bathroom (some with showers), lots of cupboard space, 2 double beds + a bunk for a person under 100lbs, furnace and fridge were really impressive. After looking at the BF in person, we did some reserach and found out that BF's have a great reputation for build quality, features and also hold thier value well. Needless to say, we bought the BF and are super happy with it. We've taken it on as many trips as we can and LOVE IT!!! It really fits our family well and is light enough to tow comfortably with our Liberty. Hope this helps...feel free to PM if you have any questions

Good luck with your search,

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewesful View Post
Hello everyone.

I'm hoping to join the ranks of fibreglass trailer ownership this summer. My difficulty is that I live somewhere that costs at least $100 and hours of travel to go look at trailers. I'm doing a lot of preliminary searching online, but pictures and sellers descriptions only go so far. I'm looking for a model with at least an enclosed toilet and three sleeping areas (even if an overhead bunk). So far, units available in south-western B.C. appear to be Bolers and Bigfoots in my price range. I'll be towing with a Ford v6 Escape with a class 2 towing package, so total weight loaded can't exceed 3500 lbs.

I would be grateful for any information that would help me narrow my focus, or let me know to consider both models equally.

Thanks

Valerie
Old 06-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #4

Name: Valerie
Trailer: Looking for my own egg
British Columbia
Thanks for your comments. It really helped me think about what I planned to do with the trailer.

Most of the time it will be acting as a cabin as I help look after my sheep. Most away from home trips will be within 50 k of my home. This area is blessed with easily 7 or 8 lake or beachfront campgrounds. The roominess of the Bigfoot made sense in light of its primary function. That being said, I am no longer looking as I am now the owner of my very own Bigfoot.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #5

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
..... That being said, I am no longer looking as I am now the owner of my very own Bigfoot.
Cool beans! I see, what I think, is your new-to-you-rollin-home as your avatar
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: 17ft Bigfoot trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Thanks for your comments. It really helped me think about what I planned to do with the trailer.

Most of the time it will be acting as a cabin as I help look after my sheep. Most away from home trips will be within 50 k of my home. This area is blessed with easily 7 or 8 lake or beachfront campgrounds. The roominess of the Bigfoot made sense in light of its primary function. That being said, I am no longer looking as I am now the owner of my very own Bigfoot.
That's just awesome! Congratulations