Eastern Massachusetts: A Fiberglass Desert? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #15

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Registry
Please do take advantage of current owners and the referral system. Almost without exception, any Casita, Scamp, Escape, Bigfoot, etc. would be happy to show off their trailer. All you need to do is locate those nearest to you. Forums can be a big help with that. After you know what you like, then you can start happily looking to buy.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #16

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Hey Mr Lynn,
Your observation is correct regarding the scarcity of FG trailers in New England. We saw our first Casita at North Beach Campground in Burlington Vt. and didn't see another one until we picked up ours in Rice TX. five years later. I would browse the classified sections of all the forums daily and be ready to move if one becomes available you're interested in. As mentioned the referral system is another option to consider. I'm not a fan of Craig's list but some people have had good luck there, but beware of scams. I think there are escrow services out there to protect you in those situations. Good luck with your quest.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:34 PM   #17

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
Have you visited this website? Scamp Trailers - US | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Here are a few that are currently close (ish) to you...
Scamps in New Jersey, one in Maine, one in Virginia
A Casita also in Virginia

Good luck with your search!
Thanks emij and others—What a responsive forum! I am especially interested in the discussions by Jon and Uplander about the Fiberglass business model.

I know about the Casita in Richmond, VA, and have had my eye on it for a couple of days now. So. . . I just got off the phone with my daughter in Powhatan, which is west of Richmond, and if that trailer is still available, she and her husband are going to check it out, and probably buy it! Then we'll come down next month and pick it up.

Daughter and SIL have an '60s Avion (aluminum like Airstream) that they are fixing up (bunks for their three boys replacing the bathroom, new wiring and brakes, etc.), so they are pretty knowledgeable about trailers. I trust their judgment. I don't know if the $9k is a fair price for a 2003, but I've become enamored of these little beasts, and if that's what it takes, WTH. It will save me months of dithering and probably buying a Jayco or something.

Of course, we have to find out if the guy in Richmond still has it, and then see if it passes muster with the kids. We'll see.

/Mr Lynn
Old 04-13-2016, 08:42 PM   #18

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
. . . Without a dealer to guide and assist you you will also be placing yourself in harms way when it comes time to set up your tow vehicle.
For first time RVers the dealer performs a valuable service setting up towing hardware, weight distribution, sway control and guiding you as to the proper tow vehicle. It is far more complicated and dangerous when you do it alone.
That is the main reason I have yet to even set foot into a molded fiberglass trailer. . .
Howdy Uplander-- I have a 2013 Ford Expedition with a towing package, so the tow vehicle should be OK. I do appreciate your warning about set-up, and if this Casita in Richmond pans out (see my previous post), I'll have to make sure I'm doing it right. My son-in-law will help. I did pull the biggest U-Haul full of furniture up from Maryland last fall, for what that's worth; this will be a lot lighter.

/Mr Lynn
Old 04-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #19

Name: Edie
Trailer: Checking out "eggs"
Massachusetts
FG in New England

Hi Mr Lynn, I live in eastern MA, too, and had the same problem for months. MA also doesn't allow a temporary plate, so you can't drive somewhere and pick up a trailer out of state. I bought a non FG trailer out of state and had to get paperwork from the dealer, insurance, then to the Registry for a plate to bring to the dealer before I could drive it home. That leaves having a trailer delivered or another trip! Most inconvenient. Small trailers are uncommon across the board. In 2 years of research I rarely found even a 16 ft trailer anywhere. And searching for dealers isn't easy either! I went to show listings to find dealers and still discovered new ones two years later! I was not retired then. In retirement I might have made a long trip to PA for a TAB. But I had neither time nor cash for a delivery. Best of luck in your search. Prices vary widely from place to place. Check You Tube videos, RVTrader, and read the forums for several makes. You'll be camping when you're ready. Also there are some great books that are helpful. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:55 PM   #20

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a 1996 Casita 17 we paid $7500 for, bought from people we know. We feel we got a good price, that they could have got more if they had advertised it. The 17's are tongue heavy, we tow with a 2012 Ram 1500 pickup
Old 04-13-2016, 09:27 PM   #21

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edie D View Post
Hi Mr Lynn, I live in eastern MA, too, and had the same problem for months. MA also doesn't allow a temporary plate, so you can't drive somewhere and pick up a trailer out of state. I bought a non FG trailer out of state and had to get paperwork from the dealer, insurance, then to the Registry for a plate to bring to the dealer before I could drive it home. That leaves having a trailer delivered or another trip! Most inconvenient. . .
Howdy Edie— If this trailer in VA pans out, and I can get the title and a bill of sale sent up to me, I should be able to get insurance from my agent (if necessary for such a light trailer), and a plate from the Registry and take it with me down to VA to pick it up. No?

Otherwise, if you're buying a vehicle out-of-state, you should be able to get temporary travel tags from the state of purchase, and then permanent tags when you get to MA. Don't understand why you had the problem you did.

/Mr Lynn
Old 04-14-2016, 07:15 AM   #22

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 15B17G, 1986.
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Howdy Edie— If this trailer in VA pans out, and I can get the title and a bill of sale sent up to me, I should be able to get insurance from my agent (if necessary for such a light trailer), and a plate from the Registry and take it with me down to VA to pick it up. No?

Otherwise, if you're buying a vehicle out-of-state, you should be able to get temporary travel tags from the state of purchase, and then permanent tags when you get to MA. Don't understand why you had the problem you did.

/Mr Lynn
Hello Mr Lynn,
I live in Quebec and have sold in the past year, our Trillium trailer 35 years of age to a resident of Massachusetts.

All transactions were made by email.
Photos, recordings, registrations plates, insurance, preparation of payment by bank draft.

When all the documents were ready, we made an appointment at the border, the Canadian side.
The buyer could see and examine the trailer, everything was in line with our discussions.
She was in possession of the Massachusetts license plate, its insurance and bank draft that I had previously checked with my bank.

I removed the license plate of Quebec, replaced by that of Massachusetts signed the back of Quebec records to indicate the change of ownership.
After she recrossing the border to Massachusetts without problems and in peace.

If after seeing the trailer at the border, She would not have been satisfied with it, everyone would be returned home.
It would have cost her the costs of the bank draft, the amount of license plates, as well as its course with 16 hours of driving with the back and a motel ...

Trust towards each other had been established.
I do not know if I would do it again today.

Because in my case, when I moved to see a trailer that seemed to have a reasonable potential on pictures, it cost me the bank draft of expenses with 9 hours of roads and motel.

The 2nd and 3rd visits to see other trailers in the same area, I had not prepared the bank draft, because that after I inquired from my bank, I was told how to trafficking bank in another province, Ontario in this case.

The third visit was good and we completed the transaction successfully.

I contacted my insurance to travel without problems, both for the seller and the buyer.
I went to the bank with the seller to prepare the bank draft, then the seller has signed the back of the trailer records, which I have registered my arrival in Quebec, then send a copy of the new by internet registration, to confirm the seller, that his name no longer appeared on the recordings, indicating that he had no more responsibility on this trailer.

In both cases, either on the sale of my trailer and on the purchase of the new trailer, sale/purchase contract in duplicate accompanied the transaction.
This is a help document that CAA (AAA) in Quebec puts at our disposal. I do not know if such a document exists in Quebec, and there are certainly similar can be found in each region.

These are my experiences ...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:41 AM   #23

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
Mr Lynn, as you described you should have no problem, getting paperwork done and having hard plates before travelling. Temporary tags aren't a problem anywhere but Massachusetts, the state does not recognize them as being legal, someone picking up a vehicle in CT and travelling to NH with a temp tag stands a chance of being pulled over and ticketed just passing through MA. But with your plans you should be fine. Good luck
Old 04-14-2016, 07:48 AM   #24

Name: rita
Trailer: currently shopping
Massachusetts
I have been looking for a 13 foot Scamp for 2 years now in New England and I have not been lucky to find what I want. SOme need total restoration which I cannot do. Some on Craigslist were Scams. ( frankly I think people that do this are messed up in the head) then when you do find one you think might fit your likes, it is gone in two minutes. I keep looking, but like you they are very hard to find. The one in Bangor, I believe is a 16 footer. NOt a bad drive, I have done Bangor Maine many times with a larger camper. Good luck to you and maybe we will get lucky.😊
Old 04-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #25

Massachusetts
UPDATE: Unfortunately, the queue had already formed in Richmond by the time my daughter emailed, and so the 2003 Casita 17 was sold before she could even see it.

Oh well; easy come, easy go.

I got home this afternoon from my radio show ('Hillbilly at Harvard', WHRB.org, Saturdays 9am-1pm Eastern) to find a call on my answering machine from a fellow in New Hampshire selling another Casita 17, this one a 2000 model. He had also posted an ad on Fiberglass RVs for Sale, and by the time I called back, the trailer was already sold. He said he started getting calls within 15 minutes of his ad!

Nice of Chuck in NH to call after seeing my 'Wanted' ad on that site, though. Maybe others will.

But this is insane! I can't spend every minute watching intently for new ads. Guess we'll have to start looking at the stick-builts. :-(

/Mr Lynn
Old 04-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #26

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
All our campers have been found and purchased on dumb luck. Being in the right place at the right time. We weren't even looking. You never know when or what will show up. Good luck
Old 04-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #27

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
Have you tried
Searchtempest
It take your criteria and search all craigslist ads that met your distance willing to travel / what your looking for just be aware of scammers
And take the buyers check list with you
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-17-2016, 08:03 AM   #28

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Thanks Alan
That seems to be the best Craigslist search engine out there.

Walt