Found one! No longer "Desperately in need of 13' FGRV" - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Wants and Needs

Page, You were smart to test your plan..I will say spending 30 days in one spot is different than traveling about. But again your were wise to test.

We're on the road more than most. Ginny and I spent 11 months in our Scamp 16 and were totally happy, the space has been more than adequate.

We normally carry satellite TV and our wi-fi hotspot. We actually don't watch that much TV, watching it when we wake up and at night.

When we started Ginny thought we didn't need TV however we did add it in year two eliminating our home cable, having satellite TV at home and on the road. It draws very little power and is easily handled by our battery.

We also have a Verizon wi-fi hotspot, like our Sat/cable TV situation, we had Cable Internet at home and now use the hotspot at home and on the road. It works practically everywhere we go, nice because it keeps us in touch, allows the downloading of books, .... The addition of road TV and road Internet hardly impacted our yearly costs.

Saying all that we just returned from Newfoundland and did not have TV or our hotspot. We were still very happy exploring here and there, proababy reading more than normal. We did spend a week in some places but find that once we have breakfaast we're typically not back to the Scamp until supper.

As to a Scamp 13 versus a Scamp 16, I think there's not a lot of difference in the towability since they both have the same frontal area. Some Scamp 13's approach our Scamp 16's weight, as well there's one Casita 13 that weighs as much as our Scamp 16. I believe both the 13 and 16 are very towable,

As to the bathroom, we never use it for showers, mostly for night time use as a toilet. Like others we find most campground showers more than adequate and some great.

With respect to wants and needs, after every major trip we review what we used (needed) and what we didn't, attempting to improve what we carry with us. Similarly we attempt to improve our tow vehicle, like shortening the distance from the ball to tow vehicle's rear axle. Likewise as we travel we keep an active list of small and big projects for Scamp improvement.

In reality, though we love our Scamp, it is only the means allowing us to explore North America. Most amazingly, when we are no longer able to tow our Scamp it will be in it's 30s and still capable of providing a safe and comfortable trailer for another family.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #16

Name: Michele
Trailer: Currently Shopping
New Mexico
Registry
Did you check my 13' Trillium that's for sale in New Mexico? It has a porta potty that slides out from under the bunk beds.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I again offer about the tenth suggestion against a 13' with a bathroom for full timing. It's like living in a sardine can for two peeps. Our 13' SCAMP is gone and we enjoy our 13' BigFoot much, much more with the front sofa/bunk.

AND.... FWIW.... Television and internet is not, by itself, "Mind Numbing" It's that way only if one chooses to let it be so. We see selective TV use as informative and entertaining, and internet access is even better than having a whole library at ones beck and call as we travel. More than once we have discovered otherwise unknown features our next stop and/or route. And that's not to mention being able to take care of bills, communicate with family and stay informed as to what's just down the road.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #18

Name: emily
Trailer: 2010 SCAMP
Georgia
Thanks To all here. I also had the dream to just take off, rent, not sell my home. I like to move around too and not stay in one place too long. Unfortunelaty I can't afford to full time unless I rent my home. I had the vision of working part time on the road. I bought a hot spot for my trip but it would not work in the state park. I think the biggest problem for me personally was the weather..too humid and buggy to eat outside.

I have made plans for two rally's in Oct. Cherokee and Land of the lakes. Best to you Mary and good luck.

Emily
Old 07-25-2013, 12:57 AM   #19

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
Have you searched Craigslist?
SCAMP! 16'
1986 Scamp 16' camper
or
Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 07-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #20

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pageleigh View Post
Thanks To all here. I also had the dream to just take off, rent, not sell my home. I like to move around too and not stay in one place too long. Unfortunelaty I can't afford to full time unless I rent my home. I had the vision of working part time on the road. I bought a hot spot for my trip but it would not work in the state park. I think the biggest problem for me personally was the weather..too humid and buggy to eat outside.

I have made plans for two rally's in Oct. Cherokee and Land of the lakes. Best to you Mary and good luck.

Emily
Emily, you'd be amazed at how little to cost of traveling can be if you work at it. We close down our house in January and almost pay for our gas in doing so. The cost of food is about the same, maybe a bit less on the road since we loose weight by not eating the extras. The cost per night can be quite low, we've averaged less than $7.50 per night over the past 4 years of 100 nights or more.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:23 AM   #21

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I again offer about the tenth suggestion against a 13' with a bathroom for full timing. It's like living in a sardine can for two peeps. Our 13' SCAMP is gone and we enjoy our 13' BigFoot much, much more with the front sofa/bunk.

AND.... FWIW.... Television and internet is not, by itself, "Mind Numbing" It's that way only if one chooses to let it be so. We see selective TV use as informative and entertaining, and internet access is even better than having a whole library at ones beck and call as we travel. More than once we have discovered otherwise unknown features our next stop and/or route. And that's not to mention being able to take care of bills, communicate with family and stay informed as to what's just down the road.
I think we'll just have to disagree about the television being mind numbing. As for the internet, we check in about twice a month using one of the fast food restaurants free wifi. Taking care of bills is done with some type of auto bill pay. Otherwise unknown to us features can become known by visiting visitor information centers. In this case a piece of paper in the hand is worth more than a fleeting web page.

For almost every situation there is more than one solution. We attempt to pick the simplest.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #22

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Mary you need to think about what your camping experience is going to be. If your planning on staing at full facility kind of campgrounds and pick spots where you can camp right next to a bathroom facility then maybe it wouldnt be a bad plan. I couldnt imagine doing it.

I boondock, and really prefer being able to jump in the shower at the end of the day to wash off the dirt/suntan lotion/deet. The porta potty I have is great, it tucks away in the bathroom for a much larger feel to my shower. I had a homebuilt teardrop trailer sized camper for a year and really prefer haveing the bathroom. I couldn't imagine full timing without a bathroom.

If your selling your house, maybe you should consider a tow vehicle upgrade to get a 15 or 16' trailer. Its going to be your home.

imho

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #23

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandegor View Post
I'm about to put my house on the market to full-time in a 13' FGRV - problem is, I don't have one yet! Sell me yours? Would be great to find one with a bathroom, and it needs to be ready to be lived in unless we're talking cosmetics. I don't have a preference for brand and can travel a day or so to pick up - I'm in Maine. Thanks!
Mary: I regularly look around the web so I'll keep an eye out for something. I think it is great what you are planning and I have no doubt that you can do it and be happy with doing it. I hope you have looked at the Full-timing thread here as you are not alone in your dream. Hope you find something soon.

As a family or just myself, we are constantly doing what others would not do, could not do and I'm just like "Whatever!"

Check your messages, I have sent you a website that I came across that might be helpful.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #24

Florida
Weather and Travel

We are not fulltimers, traveling about 7.5 months per year. To avoid unpleasant weather as described earlier in the thread, we try to go places with good weather, South in the winter and north in the spring/summer.

Though we have an air conditioner, in the two years we've had one we certainly haven't turned it on while traveling more than 10 times to cool us, we actually exercise it more than that.

As Byron stated, it cost us less per month when we're on the road than at home. The cost of RVing is in someway related to how much you have and how much you want to spend. You can spend $50 a night for a full hookup site in a fancy resort or $10 a night for a full hook up site in a Corp of Engineers (COE) park. I can almost guarantee that the COE will have a better view and a larger site.

Not trying to change minds, but provide experiences

It's obvious that like all adventures, you learn more as time goes by.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #25

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I think we'll just have to disagree about the television being mind numbing. As for the internet, we check in about twice a month using one of the fast food restaurants free wifi. Taking care of bills is done with some type of auto bill pay. Otherwise unknown to us features can become known by visiting visitor information centers. In this case a piece of paper in the hand is worth more than a fleeting web page.

For almost every situation there is more than one solution. We attempt to pick the simplest.
Think this is funny Byron. You diss the internet and television technology but carry enough Ham Radio gear to talk to folks all over the world. Remember, this post? HAM antenna mounting

Us simple folks use the internet and Skype

It's really very simple: different strokes for different folks.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #26

Florida
The measuring stick for me is 'fun'. Each of us can have a right way to camp. As long as you're not harming others, each can find fun in their own way.

These little fiberglass trailers are conducive to fun.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #27

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Fine, but you're criticizing me for indicating another way, with "your way is only way" type of post. Then saying different strokes for different folks.
Criticize you? Not at all. And, I'm probably one of the most technology disconnected people on the planet when I go camping... I don't even own a cellphone . And it really is different strokes for different folks no matter if that is needs or wants.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #28

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna d. View Post
think this is funny byron. You diss the internet and television technology but carry enough ham radio gear to talk to folks all over the world. Remember, this post? HAM antenna mounting

us simple folks use the internet and skype

it's really very simple: Different strokes for different folks.
touche'