Found one! No longer "Desperately in need of 13' FGRV" - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #29

Name: Mary
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Maine
Registry
FOUND! 1981 Scamp 13'. First tow coming up Sunday - 500 miles. Wish me luck!

Old 08-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #30

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Ouch.... Unless you are making an initial pick-up, a 500 mile first trip with a 30+ y.o. camper might not provide the best first taste of an FGRV.

If it is for initial pick-up, be sure to not only inspect the tires for condition and AGE, but also give serious thought to having the wheels pulled off and the bearings repacked before starting out. If it has been parked for a long time, and they haven't been repacked in ages, you could be looking at axle and hub damage on that long a tow.

Also, when I make a pick-up I always take along a set of magnetic stick-on towing lights. They are currently on sale for about $10 at Harbor Freight.
At least 75% of the time there is something going wrong with the rigs lights.

Good Luck.....

Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #31

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Ouch.... Unless you are making an initial pick-up, a 500 mile first trip with a 30+ y.o. camper might not provide the best first taste of an FGRV.

If it is for initial pick-up, be sure to not only inspect the tires for condition and AGE, but also give serious thought to having the wheels pulled off and the bearings repacked before starting out. If it has been parked for a long time, and they haven't been repacked in ages, you could be looking at axle and hub damage on that long a tow.

Also, when I make a pick-up I always take along a set of magnetic stick-on towing lights. They are currently on sale for about $10 at Harbor Freight.
At least 75% of the time there is something going wrong with the rigs lights.

Good Luck.....
Sage advice! I too always carry a retrieval kit when I go to pick-up a trailer for rehab. Here is a photo of one which I simply chose to tow 500 miles home before touching it.(not recommended) It was already this dirty and it had been assembled with no seals or dust covers. I carry spare bearings, a compressor, and a tow light kit among other things.
I guess the exception proves the rule(whatever that means)
I checked it for temp a couple of times,(they stayed straight and cool) heck maybe the trip just polished the spindles!
My point is printed on the cover of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
Attached Thumbnails
Shelly#8 004.jpg  
Old 08-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #32

Maine
Registry
Hi - thanks, folks, and keep those tips coming! Fortunately, the bearings have been repacked recently and the tires and spare are in excellent condition. The camper has been rewired, towed and used quite recently, so I feel pretty okay about it. I will definitely pick up a set of stick-on lights - appreciate that idea. Also, since I'm towing with an Outback, I assume some sort of auxiliary mirrors will be in order?
Old 08-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #33

Trailer: casually shopping
Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to Steven Tonnesen
I have a 13' U-Haul that has no bathroom. Wag-bags are wonderful. Sponge baths work fine.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #34

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandegor View Post
.... since I'm towing with an Outback, I assume some sort of auxiliary mirrors will be in order?
Maybe, maybe not. It seems counter intuitive but try adjusting your mirrors so they are tilted all the way out. You may find that gives you a pretty good view past your camper.

You could probalby check in a store parking lot. Back in to a spot in front of a pickup truck and see what you see with the mirrors angled out.

Also if it's riding really low - less than 3" clearance above tire or tire is buried in wheel well like the one in the picture posted by floyd be careful going up sharp inclines such as the driveway into a gas station. As trailer tires go up the rear edge of camper can scrape. Backing toward an incline has the same issue when riding low.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #35

Maine
Registry
Hi - thanks for responding - I found a Scamp a couple of weeks ago - can't figure out how to delete or modify this post. (Oh - and I got a Porta Potty.)
Old 09-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #36

Name: McKenna Lynn
Trailer: Considering Scamp 13
Colorado
Steven, would you think wag bags and sponge baths work for full-timing for 2 years?