Found one! No longer "Desperately in need of 13' FGRV" - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #1

Name: Mary
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Maine
Registry
Found one! No longer "Desperately in need of 13' FGRV"

(Moderator's note: OP has found a trailer - although there are ongoing tangential discussions in the thread, so it's not yet been closed.)

I'm about to put my house on the market to full-time in a 13' FGRV - problem is, I don't have one yet! Sell me yours? Would be great to find one with a bathroom, and it needs to be ready to be lived in unless we're talking cosmetics. I don't have a preference for brand and can travel a day or so to pick up - I'm in Maine. Thanks!

Old 07-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Think you will find a 13 ft trailer with bathroom really cuts down on the living space. Might be wise to go to 15 or16 footer.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We own a Scamp 16, downsizing from a motorhome that weighed 8 times as much as our Scamp and virtually infinite storage. There was nothing that we wanted to carry (versus needed to carry) that wouldn't fit in the motorhome.

When we moved into the motorhome we were impressed that we had downsized from a house. When we down sized to a small trailer we intially wondered if it was not possible to live in a small trailer comfortably for long periods. We were wrong. We have had years where we spent 10 to 11 months in the trailer. We now know the small trailer is really enough.

I suspect if we went down to a Scamp 13 we'd still feel, as Floyd and Byron do, that it is enough. The magic is being on the road and sharing the wonder of 'the life' it offers.

Saying that we love having our little bathroom. I doubt we spend more than minutes a day in it but still feel it's nice in the middle of the night.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We've had a 13' Scamp since 2011. In front, where a bath would be, we have a sofa that converts into bunk beds. A porta-pottie under the sofa is perfect for those midnite "emergencies" and otherwise use camp facilities. We mostly keep the bed made unless we are camping in inclement weather. We can recommend this basic, yet more than adequate thirteen-footer. Only you can decide what's right for you, or in the case of a used trailer, what comes along that will meet your needs.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #5

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Wants vs Needs.

As Norm and Ginny point out there's wants and needs.
Many people often confuse wants with needs and turn wants into needs. Needs are fairly easy to define and make sure you have in your travels. Wants are much more difficult to define and determine that you really don't need them. Even in my little 13' trailer and truck combination there's far more wants than the casual observer might see.
I think it's a good idea to examine things and ask yourself if this is want or a need. Once the needs are satisfied then you prioritize the wants.
One of the big discussions here are often the want of a toilet and shower on board. Here's where I thing some evaluation needs to happen. I'm NOT saying do away with toilet/shower, but consider the total cost and continuing costs vs usage and enhancement of your traveling experience. I say usage because I've seen a lot of people that never use the on-board facilities therefore it's a waste of a want. I use the toilet/shower only as an example, there are many other wants that end up being very expensive.

Another is size of the trailer. I suggest consider how much time will be spent inside the trailer or other RV. From my own experiences and observing others most the time is spent outdoors, even those with 40+' motor homes are outside most of the time.

The longer the trips the more important it is to know the difference between wants and needs. If wants aren't used or seldom used maybe the expense of carrying them around with you is a resource that could be better used someplace else.

One other small observation/experience, if you spend about 6 weeks of happy traveling you can spend anything up to the rest of your life traveling happily. The six weeks is what is said it takes to make or brake a habit.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #6

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
A 13' is inky, dinky as it is and the bathroom would probably turn into a closet.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #7

Name: emily
Trailer: 2010 SCAMP
Georgia
My first question would be "have you spent any amount of time in a 13' camper prior to your decision to fulltime"? I thought I would go fulltime and rent out my home. Thank goodness I spent a month away first. I volunteered at St. George Island State Park recently for 30 days and lasted 25. I loved the work with the rangers, but was not fully prepared for the reality of my situation. I have 2010 13' Scamp with the bunk beds. I had spotty phone service, no tv or Internet and Alot of noseeums! I traveled with my dog, swam a lot and read 5 books. Although the camping was free, the closest store was 20 miles away. Needless to say, I was very happy to get home to my bed, toilet and shower.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #8

Maine
Registry
Can't do larger than 13' - towing with a Subaru Outback. The bathroom isn't a deal-breaker by a long shot. Looked at a Casita with bathroom and duly noted the small living space - I will work with what comes my way. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
A Trillium 4500 is 15', but not much heavier then a 13' Trillium. Same floor plan, (some have bathrooms) just a bit more room.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #10

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pageleigh View Post
My first question would be "have you spent any amount of time in a 13' camper prior to your decision to fulltime"? I thought I would go fulltime and rent out my home. Thank goodness I spent a month away first. I volunteered at St. George Island State Park recently for 30 days and lasted 25. I loved the work with the rangers, but was not fully prepared for the reality of my situation. I have 2010 13' Scamp with the bunk beds. I had spotty phone service, no tv or Internet and Alot of noseeums! I traveled with my dog, swam a lot and read 5 books. Although the camping was free, the closest store was 20 miles away. Needless to say, I was very happy to get home to my bed, toilet and shower.

I don't think your heart is really into to the adventure. We have not full timed but 3+ months is close enough that we could.(2006 13' Scamp with bunk beds, no toilet). We don't miss the telephone, the television, or the internet. One has to learn how to slow down without the help of mind numbing internet and television.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #11

Maine
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
A Trillium 4500 is 15', but not much heavier then a 13' Trillium. Same floor plan, (some have bathrooms) just a bit more room.
Good to know. Do you have one for sale?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #12

Maine
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pageleigh View Post
Thanks for your input. I do know what I'm getting into & have spent many years making it happen.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #13

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Mary, I understand... truly. Couples needs and wants are different than a single traveler. I've been single for 15 years now and have owned my trailer for almost 11 years.

What I need and want has changed from 11 years ago. A lot of that is due to age, some of it due to technology and some of it because I can NOW flippin' afford it!

Only YOU can decide what is necessary. But think to the future. I don't know about you, but I can only spend so many evenings (alone) putting together puzzles, reading books and weaving navel lint. The days can be equally looong. How many photos can one take anyway?

So, when you're looking for your rollin' home. Don't just think about today or tomorrow... but think about needs and wants six months from now or even five years from now. You may be surprised...

Good luck on your egg hunt!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #14

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandegor View Post
I'm about to put my house on the market to full-time in a 13' FGRV - problem is, I don't have one yet! Sell me yours? Would be great to find one with a bathroom, and it needs to be ready to be lived in unless we're talking cosmetics. I don't have a preference for brand and can travel a day or so to pick up - I'm in Maine. Thanks!
Mary, I'm not sure if you know about this site, but it is the hot spot for selling FG RVs Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale