fourwinds camper or casita - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-16-2015, 05:02 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Get the FourWinds. There's nothing quite like leaking seams and the smell of rotting wood.
Don't mind Byron… we're all a bit biased around here!

Conventional framed trailers ("stickies" as we call them) like the Fourwinds are prone to leaks along the seams where panels are joined. Molded fiberglass trailers are seamless, which eliminates a major source of leaks, and frameless, so if leaks do happen at windows or vents, there is no wood frame inside the wall to rot. That's a big reason why you may have noticed that used molded fiberglass trailers hold their value much better than stickies.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #16
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Food for thought

I just copied this from another forum.

"I towed a Casita (3500lbs) with a 2005 4Runner with the 4.7L (5 speed transmission), 2x4 and thought it needed a little more oomph going up grades in the West. I usually drive 55 to 60mph and was in 3rd gear maintaining 55mph on the climbs from Sheridan, Wy to Billings, MT. With 7000lbs I'm not sure what it would do, maybe have to go to 2nd to maintain 50 or 55. This was on trips to Glacier from Texas. I got about 13 to 14mpg towing 60mph with the Casita."

Old 04-16-2015, 06:46 PM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
A lot of peeps are more than happy to trade an occasional 45 MPH on grades for 2 MPG the rest of the time. It's a good trade off..... I do it all the time, I just get in line with (and occasionally pass) the semi's).
Old 04-17-2015, 08:12 AM   #18

Arizona
Registry
fourwinds camper or casita

You make a great point, Bob. I have often traveled on interstate grades in the West, with and without a trailer. In the right lane there's a line of semis going 45. Auto traffic blows past at 65 in the fast lane. Everything goes smoothly until... an idiot in an RV pulls out suddenly into the passing lane, accelerates laboriously to 55, slo-o-o-owly overtakes a truck (or two or three), and finally pulls back in. Then the 25 autos piled up behind, madder than hornets, floor it to get past the RV before the whole thing repeats. Dumb, dumb, dumb!

Slow down, blend in, save gas, be kind to your machine, and don't tick people off.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:18 AM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
But more often than not I see the "Professional" truck driver that is going 1 mph faster than the one in front of him that pulls out to pass and backs up traffic.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #20

Arizona
Registry
fourwinds camper or casita

Very true, Bob, and if this were a forum for professional drivers, I'd say the same. Dumb is still dumb, and courtesy is still courtesy.

Tags
casita