Frantically Looking (no longer) - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-10-2006, 02:59 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Gang: I'm new to this site so please pardon any gaffes I might make. I have owned a 1971 Starcraft tent trailer for three years and am ready to move up to an "egg." At Burning Man last week I "toured" a Compact Jr. and absolutely fell in love. However, I can't find any in my area. Or even an RV dealer that's even heard of one. The two that I know of are both from the early 70's (no problem for me) so I'm guessing that the manufacturer went out of business.

Any info would be appreciated.

Sharon in AZ

Old 09-10-2006, 03:14 PM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
While the Home page for FiberglassRV.com lists many makes of moulded fiberglass travel trailers, the list of those still in production is much shorter - and does not include Hunter, who made the Compact. Check out the Helpful-Links (under Resources on the left side of the FiberglassRV page), then Trailer Brands from there, and you'll find links to the few manufacturers going today. That doesn't mean you should give up on the others - one of the characteristics of the moulded fiberglass construction is that the trailers age well, and most parts are common RV items (not brand-specific) so used units are reasonable choices at quite advanced ages.

I have found that the vast majority of the eggs for sale in this area are private sales, presumably because people don't trade them in for current RV models, or because dealers won't pay what they're worth.

Sharon, now that you're registered in the forum, you can do searches. The Search button near the top of the page leads to a useful tool for finding information in past posts in the forum. For instance, there is a topic active recently about the history of the Compact trailers, with some information about them from half a dozen of their owners (Compact and Hunter history).

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot
Sharpn,

Another resource is the Casita Club Classifieds. There is currently a Scamp in Colorado and another in Texas you might be interested in.

Good luck in your search.

Nita F.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:39 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Hi Sharon,

On the Left NavBar we have a button called “Helpful-Links”. From there you will find ALL things FiberglassRVs.

We have one link there that is dedicated to where to find trailers. RV Classified Web Sites
Old 09-10-2006, 07:20 PM   #5

Name: It depends on who is asking..
Trailer: Actively seeking Escape 19/21
British Columbia
Quote:
Hi Sharon,

On the Left NavBar we have a button called “[b]Helpful-Links”. From there you will find ALL things FiberglassRVs.

We have one link there that is dedicated to where to find trailers. [b]RV Classified Web Sites

Michael: Another site to add: CanadaTrader-RV's
Old 09-10-2006, 07:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft ('Kermit' It's not easy being green!)
Hey! I know everybody's pretty down on ebay lately but that's where I found my Trillium. Just be careful! And good luck!
Old 09-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: 19' Scamp 5th Wheel
Somewhere USA
Hi Sharon,

We are selling our 1998 Scamp 5th wheel. Website: http://webpages.charter.net/kb98d19/. Take a look but I realize our location (MA) is a little too far! Happy hunting.

-Bob

Quote:
Hi Gang: I'm new to this site so please pardon any gaffes I might make. I have owned a 1971 Starcraft tent trailer for three years and am ready to move up to an "egg." At Burning Man last week I "toured" a Compact Jr. and absolutely fell in love. However, I can't find any in my area. Or even an RV dealer that's even heard of one. The two that I know of are both from the early 70's (no problem for me) so I'm guessing that the manufacturer went out of business.

Any info would be appreciated.

Sharon in AZ
Old 09-20-2006, 10:28 AM   #8

Name: Linda
Trailer: Honey
California
Don't forget to check your local paper and craigslist. You do need to be careful of scams, but will find a very helpful bit of info on that if you read the sticky note under sales referrals. I have been looking for over 6 months, but have been constrained by budget and needing room for 3 people. There have been several compact jr and trails west (quite similar) for sale in that time at very reasonable prices. Good luck with your hunt!
Old 09-21-2006, 09:57 AM   #9

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
James Brannens Love Bug might fit the bill for you.

It is in Bakersfield. Tho not in the glamor spot of the SW, it would be an easy pick up for you!

Love Bug
Old 09-21-2006, 12:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Lil Bigfoot
Here's a Scamp in Temecula for $2500obo from the San Diego Craigs List

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/rvs/208559781.html

Here's one ner Phoenix.

http://www.casitaclassifieds.com/classifie...query=retrieval
Old 10-01-2006, 05:45 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
A BIG thanks to everybody that sent me list referrals and ideas. I bought the Puck in Lake Havasu City. I really wanted a "Pop-up" configuration and the Puck fits the bill.

In addition, the 608 lbs that it weighs isn't even noticed by my tow rig - a '93 Chrysler Town and Country, 3.3 liter. I was going up hills at 80+ on the way home! It tows great.

I just repacked the wheel bearings today - definitely needed it.

Thanks again,

Sharon in AZ