Help Please!!! - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #1

Trailer: Just Looking
Washington
Talking Help Please!!!

Hi, My name is Katy. Fiberglass trailers have always interested my husband and I! Three years ago we were looking for one, but ended up getting an ultra lite regular trailer instead - big mistake! Well, that trailer is now gone. We are back to searching for a fiberglass trailer again. We would like something in the 16'-19' range. We do have a little guy and plan on having another at some point, so the ability to sleep 4 is necessary. It must have/be: non-smoking, no cracks, clean title, good battery and tires, and be in overall good condition. (Please let me know if there is anything else I should look for.) My husband is 6', so if there are certain brands that would better fit his frame, please also let me know. We ideally would like to keep our budget around $6,000, but can go up if the perfect trailer came along. We are both teachers on summer break and are willing to travel to states that neighbor Washington to pick it up if necessary. Thank you so much for your help in finding our next "summmer home".

Old 06-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #2

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
If you haven't looked here: Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

it is a good resource. Also Craigslist (but watch for scams), eBay and of course the trailers here for sale. Be prepared to travel, as it is currently a sellers' market.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trillium
Newfoundland & Labrador
CANADA eh!

You can check Kijiji for BC and Alberta. If you need advice on border crossings etc. I'm sure that there is information on this site and knowledgeable members with experience to asssit. Good luck.
Scouter Dave
Old 06-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
Their is a Escape 15ft for sale on this forum located in Vancouver,WA. A nice trailer with a toilet.
chuck
Old 06-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
And just barely outside of Washington - about 5 miles out of Washington, there is a Boler 1700 for sale in Langley, BC, also on the "for sale" section of the board
Old 06-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: 17ft Bigfoot trailer
British Columbia
Hi Katy,

We (family of 4) just purchased a 1986 17ft Bigfoot. This Friday was our first trip in the trailer. The size and model is perfect for us! Not too big/small and easy to tow. It may also be a fit for your budget, as they seem to be selling from about 4500-7500 (CAD). Best of luck on your search.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #7

Washington
Thank you all for your replies. Our search this time around turned out to be a rather short one! We were driving down to Portland today just to look around and ran across a 2006 17.5' Bigfoot. It was listed at $12,995 and we ended up at $12,000. I think this is a good price, right??? Well, even though we went OVER budget, we are beyond excited to get it on Tuesday after they get done detailing it. We already have a trip planned for Wednesday at the beach! Thanks again! Hopefully we will get to be more active members of this site now.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Katy, Sounds like a great price for a 2006 Bigfoot. Congrats! Do post pic's, we like pic's here. Enjoy!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #9

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Congrats!
Detailing = Dealer?
If so, price does not seem that bad to me. Depends on options and condition.
Hopefully those with better knowledge of the Bigfoots will comment.

That was a quick buy, hope it was not impulse and that it really meets your wants and needs. Twice the budget in less than a day means you both fell head over heels in love with it. Now to pick a name and change your trailer profile from Searching Daily to 17.5 Bigfoot. Searching Daily might even be a good name for your new trailer, it has a certain ring to it. Especially with the Bigfoot logo.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
As the owners of our 7th Bigfoot, I think you got a good buy if it is in great conditon. For that price it doesn't matter if it was from a dealer or a private party as long as it wasn't a salvage title.
Enjoy and welcome to the world of fiberglass trailer owners!
Deb
Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #11

Washington
We did buy from a dealer. We just happened to see the trailer fromt the freeway and couldn't believe it. We have been wanting to see the inside of one for years now. The trailer is in excellent condition - very much like new. Although we were over our original budget, we feel that it was a great choice compared to newer and bigger regular trailers for the same price that we were contemplating. We are very excited! Thank you all for being so welcoming!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #12

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Katy G. You might want to look at gatherings coming in Oregon. There's two list now, the Oregon Gathering in July and Northern Oregon Gathering in October. Both are listed in the "Rallies, Get togethers and Fiberglass meets" section.
I hope you have lots of fun with your Big Foot.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:27 AM   #13

Trailer: Trillium
Newfoundland & Labrador
Congratulations

Congratulations on your acquistion and welcome. When you consider the longevity of these rigs your purchase price is an investment for the long term. Consider it money well spent.
We are looking forward to the pics.
Scouter Dave
Old 06-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #14

Name: Ginny
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13 ft.
Massachusetts
Registry
Congratulations on the new addition to the family! We, too, considered a cheaper, non-fiberglass trailer but they just weren't as cool as the eggs and after much searching, we lucked into a beautiful 13 ft. Scamp. Since all the kids are gone and it's just the two of us, 13 feet works fine for us - although the grandkids are a little disappointed. Our first trip out, the guy in the site next to us confessed his jealousy. He had wanted a fbg rv but gave up the search and bought a metal box. Then he made his wife trade in the car she loved so he could buy a big truck to pull it.<_<