Help with new adventure on the road - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #1

Name: RJ
Trailer: owned several
Louisiana
Help with new adventure on the road

Hi... A friend and I are both recently unemployed and have decided we will use this opportunity to go on the road, homeschool my daughter and get away from working for 'the man' if possible. We will be traveling around the country to various art / craft festivals and have checked out 'hosting' at several sites.

We cannot afford a high end unit at the moment but hope to upgrade, soon if things go well. For now we would love to find a 'gutted' fiberglass or aluminum trailer so that we can customize it for our needs. She is currently traveling on a 'test route' with only a tent and her Xterra. I have a Rav 4 so our weight limit is 3,000 lbs.

If you know of anyone who has a trailer with the following please contact us through this forum.
  • 3,000 lb towing limit
  • No more than $2-3000 (we know this is a 'tall' order)
  • Safe trailer, axle, lights, tongue, etc.
  • Fiberglass or aluminum
  • Basically good bones to build on...
  • Can pick up trailer anywhere between San Antonio, Tx and Tallahassee, Fl along the I-10 corridor. Have family all along this route. We are both in the Baton Rouge, La metro area.

THANK YOU and WHAWHOOOO!!! Can't wait to meet some of you on the road. I LOVE camping and haven't been in about 30 years, back when my sis and I were growing up. BEST education we ever had were the trips mom and pop took us on camping.

THANK YOU~!~!~! "Swamp Chickas on the Road"
(Attached a few sample photos)
Attached Thumbnails
trailer_then_now.jpg   Picture001-1.jpg  

Old 06-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #2

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Damn scroll wheel! I just typed up a long message and then through some combination of mouse button and scroll wheel manged to delete the entire contents of the message just before sending it. Stupid modern computers.

I'll try to recap quickly.

2 adults and child? I'd look at at least 16' trailers. You might sleep 3 easy in a 13', but you'll will want to kill each other before long I'd guess.

Yes, I think you're going to have a very hard time getting a trailer with safe running gear that's not completely falling apart otherwise, that will fit three people for that price. I think $4000-$5000 will be much more realistic. Anything like that for $3000 or under you'd probably have to put a few grand or at least a lot of elbow grease into it to make it livable. I'd hate to see you spend $3000 and then find your miserable trying to live in it.

I think tents would be better than a really ratty trailer, but that's just me, I've done some very comfortable tent camping.

And there are really awesome bargains on occasion! So who knows! Good luck and happy hunting!

How handy with repairs and creative engineering are you?

Old 06-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #3

British Columbia
$6200
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ale-52280.html

$5000
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-51950.html

$4900
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-52401.html

$5000
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-52418.html

A few grand more and you might be ready to go with minimal work! At least those show what you can get in that price range. I don't religiously look at the for sale forums, but I don't see a lot of 16' + trailers in any shape for under $3000. But I'm sure there are some options if you look hard enough.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #4

Louisiana
Thank you!

Hi Dylan... thank you so much for the reply. We were thinking along the lines of a 16' as well. Yes ...I was raised like a boy :-) and very mechanically inclined. I've refurb'd a few homes solo.

We are doing what we can to save a little more $ before purchasing. Can definitely agree on tent camping over crummy camper. Thank you for the links! We'll keep looking here and other places. LOVE the forums...so many GOOD ideas!

Have a blessed day and we'll be in touch. Peace!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #5

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Hi RJ,

I think aluminum is out if you want to stay light. I think your original price point is doable with patience and persistence. Fiberglass rvs vary in price by location so what's pricey over there might be cheap near by. Try this site Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale and check Craigs list a couple times a day. When the deal comes along it won't last so be ready to act. In the document centre of this forum you'll find a buyers check list. I searched for months but finally picked up a 13" Boler that was ready to use for $3000. I was purchasing it 3 hours after it was posted.

Best of luck on your purchase and future adventures.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #6

British Columbia
I hope your right Mark, but I suspect decent 13' eggs for under $3000 are dramatically more available than decent 16' eggs for under 3000.

But sometime it only takes a few drawbacks and a seller in a hurry to create a great bargain! If you're handy with repairs and building RJ, you will be at a great advantage. I find having things done for you in the RV world is very pricey and often for no good reason. Doing what you can yourself on a fixer upper will certainly help make this equation work out.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Registry
Have you been in either a 13' or 16' fiberglass camper? If not, keep your eyes open and ask to check one out should you see one - your preferences may not be anything like anybody elses. I suspect that many people wouldn't think a 13' would be enjoyable with 2 crazy parents and 3 kids, but we all have a blast. (but only road trips - not living in it - so take that into consideration!) but my point is - it's your preferences you'll need to work around! And if a 13' in TX is an option - here's one just over your limit with some of the work already done
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-52765.html
Old 06-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #8

Louisiana
Wow!

Hi Luke (Mark & Dylan too)... THIS is what I love about people who camp! Everyone is SOOOOO friendly and helpful... as it should be :-)

I agree about aluminum. Long ago I had an Airstream that was a rolling darkroom. It was awesome but heavy. LOVE the fiberglass designs. Thank you so much for writing and for the help :-) I'm checking that site too and this one all the time. GREAT info and very encouraging words.

So done with overwhelming 'stuff' and conventional life. Ready for a f/t much less complicated life. Camping is SOOOOO fun!!! Miss it a bunch. Thank you and God Bless, RJ