Hope to find a 13 ft fiberglass camper - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-24-2018, 08:11 AM   #1

Name: Betty
Trailer: Scamp
TX
Hope to find a 13 ft fiberglass camper

Hi, I'm hoping to buy a used 13ft casita, scamp, boler or u-haul as my first camper. I'm hoping not to spend more than $5,000 since I am "testing the waters".

Old 07-24-2018, 08:17 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
When i was looking for campers last year, i finally bought my 13 in March of this year, the trailers available for $5k or less were all in need of a decent amount of work. You will definitely have to make small repairs to get it in good working order. Even my 2013 needed a few things and bearings packed etc. I just wanted to make sure that you figured some of these extras into your budgeting goals.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:27 AM   #3

TX
I found a patriot last week but didn't get there in time and it was sold. I could probably go up on the price, I just didn't want to go too high because I am new at this. Thank you for your advice. Could you tell me the most important thing to look for as far as if it's in good condition?
Old 07-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
There is a lot of advice on here about looking for a trailer. When i got mine i checked that all the parts were there, that all the appliances worked, that the fiberglass, windows and seals looked in good condition and that the frame looked good. I also asked the owner some basic questions about maintenance and things like that. The owner was honest and told me what was and what was not done. I figured this into the price i offered and it worked out. For me my wants will probably be different that yours because I am able to do a lot of work myself and i know i can save money that way. If you have to take it someplace to get work done, obviously that will be much more expensive and you should take that into consideration.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:02 AM   #5

TX
You're very kind. Thank you.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:38 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Betty, Perhaps try renting one first to see if you like it.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:38 AM   #7

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Betty, when I went to look at the Boler I ended up buying, I found Ian G's Boler buying guide in the document center to be invaluable.

I do have some suggestions. Bring something to put on the ground so you can lie down and get underneath the trailer. Look very carefully at the frame checking for cracks, breaks, etc. I brought a small hammer so I could tap to see if the metal was rusted through on the frame. Bring a builder's square and use it on the frame to make sure there are not any horizontal bends. The frame should be flat horizontally. While underneath, look at the axle. If it looks as corroded as the frame and the trailer is more than 15 to 20 years old you may need to replace it. On Bolers and Scamps check the wheel well at the top for any signs the tire has rubbed, that indicates a bad axle. If you can't put your fist between the top of the tire and the top of the wheel well, that indicates a bad axle.

When looking inside, look carefully in the backs of cabinets and closets to see if there are any signs of mold. Do the same thing with any storage compartments under the dinette seats or front couch(if there is one). Make sure all of the windows work properly.

Check the floor for soft spots(give). Check the floor in the cabinets, closets and the under seat storage especially. A small screwdriver can help. Push it lightly against the floor. If there is no resistance and it sinks, the floor is bad in that spot and will need repairs.

The Boler I got wasn't perfect by any long shot but the frame, shell and floor were all good. I did have to replace the axle but I knew that after looking at the trailer. The interior is not pretty but usable as is. I guarantee that if you keep your trailer, you will find things to fix/improve.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #8

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
buying your first FRG

Once you've found a suitable rig, you might contact a local trailer service to see if you can get it inspected for you. It's worth the money.

You also might consider raising your low buy price to $8k as 5k may put you in the major repair bracket. Just know, whatever used FRG you buy, there may be some repair costs...plus purchasing all your camping gear.

Best of luck on your search.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #9

Name: Len
Trailer: Bigfoot 13 For sale
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojetty View Post
Hi, I'm hoping to buy a used 13ft casita, scamp, boler or u-haul as my first camper. I'm hoping not to spend more than $5,000 since I am "testing the waters".
where are you located
Old 07-24-2018, 07:14 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Make sure everything works and make them prove it. Make sure all paperwork is proper. Bad paperwork will ruin your whole purchase. Then follow your nose if it stinks, if it reeks of perfume. There are problems. For the most part stink is hard to remove without teardown and extra expense and labor. A trailer that stinks, stinks, let someone else deal with that gem.

Run an ad of what you want, how much you want to pay and where your located. When you find something you gotta move, your price point is the I want it now and I have the cash in hand to jump on it now. Early bird gets the worm. If your still working you have a disadvantage against a whole slew of grey retired panthers ready to pounce.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:50 PM   #11

TX
Thank you so much. I will go up on what was my limit and hope I find a good one. I've found they sell so fast I'm not sure the seller would wait for me to have it looked at. I am nervous because I know very little about them. I just know I want one.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:52 PM   #12

TX
I am located in central Texas....but am able to drive out of state to pick up.