I'm getting in line for a 13 foot.... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #15

Name: April
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Oregon
Yeah, I noticed it looked a little low, but at that price, we are expecting some work. That will be ok, we can handle it in smaller incriments, but having*to*come*up*with one big lump sum all at once is the hard part for*us (like buying a newer more expensive one)*I was*concidering having new tires put on before we bring it home, if we can find a shop in the area that does that, but we will have to decide that when we see it in person.*I*do plan to*research*the*nearest*town*to*see what stores/services*will be available*to us before*we*go down there. Worse case is we decide*we*are*not*happy*with*it, keep looking around, and end up selling after we make some improvements. I know*we*will*at*least be able*to*recover what*we*put*into*these trailers,*that*is*one*of*the appealing factors*they*have,*resale value is good. I have a feeling that if we sink another couple grand into it, we will have a*pretty sweet camper for a while. Anyone know*what it generally costs*to*replace*an axle?? If*we can*get*some use out of*it before we*have*to*do*some*major*repairs*that*would make it worth while. My boyfriend (Kirk) is*a bit*of*a music/computer geek*so*he is excited*to start "geeking"*out*the*camper*with low watt*computer stuff (our entertainment center is a lap top). I*am excited*to get a hold of*one just*so I exercise my creativity*and*meet*the*challenges*we will face trying*to*make*it*nice. We*will see*what happens....

Old 09-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #16

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
If you do it yourself NO brakes less than $200.00 .With brakes Less than $300.00

Old 09-19-2008, 11:05 AM   #17

Oregon
We just found a Burro in the same area for just a little more... $2000

I am considering this one over the other, and might just have to drive up with a friend to get it. here are photos...
I just talked with the owner, they say they only have a bill of sale, no title, is that a deal breaker?
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 Casita
April, hmmmmm, that would be a red flag for me, but I have to say sometimes those issues can get resolved. Investigate! I also wanted to say, I know how bad you want one, but don't buy out of desperation. Been there done that! from running across different post, I see you have a little time to keep looking. How long have you been looking? Some people look for years, Most look for months and months. Give your self a break, Another thought is, where your moving seems to be close to fiberglass country. Maybe waiting and buying one there would be better. I know, You don't want to wait! LOL............... But it's just an idea! Robin
Old 09-19-2008, 11:42 AM   #19

Name: Orlen
Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Colorado
Quote:
We just found a Burro in the same area for just a little more... $2000

I am considering this one over the other, and might just have to drive up with a friend to get it. here are photos...
I just talked with the owner, they say they only have a bill of sale, no title, is that a deal breaker?
I'd go with the Burro.

As far as the bill of sale issue, check with your DMV to see what they require to register in your state. Rules are different for each state and, as others have mentioned in previous posts, the rules seem to change at different DMV offices within a state. Also, look for the VIN and make sure it matches the registration and that it is correctly entered on the bill of sale. If you can find the VIN stamped on the frame it seems to help avoid a lot of headaches. Some older RVs put the VIN on a stick-on label that unfortunately either no longer sticks on or has lettering that has faded with time. If the current owner has any registration papers, even expired ones, see if you can get them along with the bill of sale.

Glad to see that you finally found a FGRV. Keep us posted.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #20

Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
If you have No title and someone can show evidence later that this is their RV trailer, you will loose the trailer. My words are ---> GET a Title
Old 09-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #21

Oregon
burro sold already!! I was just about to go out there, found a friend to go with me, called to see if he was going to be able to work with our time frame, and it was already gone...

guess it wasn't the right one.. and I hear you about not acting out of desperation, I just saw this as a good deal, it had the heat/air/fridge and looked nice, so I wanted to jump on it. *I know the right one will happen at some point... we still have the other one pending. *We are still looking into the scamp with the black/white shell.

In the mean time, I will continue my search!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #22

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Someone is selling a uhaul on uhaulcamper.com. However, it is in Canada. Looks nice. Priced at 5000 Canadian.

CindyL
Old 09-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #23

Oregon
I have an update!! We got in touch with the owner of the black and white scamp, they agreed to hold it for us, take down the craigs list ad, and we will be going to pick it up *Tues sept. 30. She has rebuilt the floor, the cusions are new,*new*paint inside, new hardware on the cabinets and windows, new sink/water tank, fridge not ice box, and there is a table,*and*a*title! so*I*think*we*have*a*winner. She*sounded genuine*about holding it for us*so I*have*a*good feeling about*this*one. She*also said she had*the tires/brakes*inspected at*an rv place*and*they*were in*good*condtion. If*we*end*up*having*to*replace*the axle,*that is*no*big deal*as*I*would feel better*about traveling*a long*distance*on*a new axle/tire*set up*anyway. *
YAY!!
Old 09-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #24

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
April
Sure hope it all works out for you. It took me three years of looking everyday befor i found my 94' casita and had to travel about 500 miles to get it.
If it all works out and you drag it home the way it is be sure to stop after the first fifty miles and feel the center of the hubs on each side......they should be equally warm to the touch on both sides and not so hot that it would burn your hand........ If you see one side getting way hotter than the other side you have a problem....... After the first fifty miles stop about every 100 miles after that and do the same test.
You may also want to torque the wheel lugs to 90-100 lbs with a cheap torque wrench.
I really hope you get it as it looks pretty good
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:43 PM   #25

Oregon
Thanks for the advice Joe!! Definitely good to know, we will be sure to stop and check often as we will be traveling down the 10, through Louisiana it is really bumpy. I even thought about having new tires put on before we left the area, just to be safe,*but I am*not*sure how much time*that takes*or*if*I*can even take*it*to*a tire dealer*like Discount*tires *and*have*them*do it. *We*will decide*that*once*we*see*the*condition*of*the tires.*I plan*to*research the*nearest city*to where*we*are*going*for*auto part locations, sears, tires*and even*motels*for*the just*incase. If*the trailer looks*good*enough,*we plan*to scout*a camping*spot along*the beach*and*spend*the*night!*I*am*very*hopeful about*this*one, it*doesn't feel*like a deal*that*is*slipping away. *I*am*sorry*to*hear*it*took*you*so long*to*find*a camper,*what devotion!! I*would*go absolutely*bonkers*if it*took*that long **
Old 09-20-2008, 05:36 AM   #26

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Good luck, April! If you get it, you will love it. We have traveled many places since we got ours. We call the Uhaul Howie for "Hotel on Wheels."

CindyL
Old 09-20-2008, 07:43 AM   #27

Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
We need pictures when you get back.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #28

Trailer: 81 Perris Pacer / 72 Jeep CJ
Hey APril, You mention you are drinving 13 hours and staying along the beach. Where is the scamp located? My husband is in Biloxi/Gulfport helping our daughter & new grandson with the hurricanes aftermath. (we got them to San Antonio first week and then back to Biloxi with Ike) ANyway, he's there 1 last day and just thought after my mishaps getting mine home and considering you are driving way further than me, if it's close by, he said he's willing to go check her out for you. Let me know. Eve