I'm getting in line for a 13 foot.... - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #1

Name: April
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Oregon
Hey all you happy campers!!

I have been doing some rigorous digging online for that "good deal" on a 13ft fiberglass egg style camper (scamp or similar) My main concerns are finding something in good working condition at a fairly low price ($2000-$3000 prefered ) that is somewhat close to Tx, if at all possible. We are not trying to be too picky, it doesn't have to be fancy we just want to be able to drive away with it road worthy and useable.

We are saving up for a move in the next year so our budget is a little tight...I am hoping to get one of these trailers in the next few months so when we are ready to make a big move from Houston to the NW White Salmon/Hood River area, hopefully by summer of 09, we can be ready to roll. We would like to pack our things into a pod and send it up, taking a long slow drive up through the mountains of CO, and upward to the NW. We will probably take at least a month to get there, so much time and traveling will be spent with the camper. We may even have to camp out once we get there until we find the right living situation. I am very excited to have found these campers, I only recently became aware of them and I am hooked! I have spent countless hours digging through search engines, online ads, classifieds, craigslist, camper forums like this one ect... looking for the right camper , trying to avoid scams and learning all I can about getting, owning, caring for a used camper. We need something that is not much more than 1000lbs dry weight, because we plan to add a few things inside that will add some extra weight and my Vue owners manual says 1500lbs towing capacity. I would not care if there were some minor defects that are mainly cosmetic, I am good at fixing some things up, what is important to me is the camper is in good working usable condition, ready to go down the road upon picking it up. Clear title, and street legal, good lights/brakes/tires etc...

I apreciate any help in finding one that isn't terribly far away from TX or expensive, and want to thank all the wonderful people out there who have shared their time, experiences and know how online in these forums!
Best wishes to you all! I hope to be joining the ranks soon!!
April~

Old 09-08-2008, 11:45 PM   #2

Oregon
Just wondering if my price range is realistic??? I keep seeing lots of adds for the 2-3000 price range, but most have very little info, and just seem like scam postings to me. I was hoping there would be a few "REAL" ones out there. I am very sad to see so many fraudulent ads being posted, making this even harder to find.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:58 AM   #3

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I understand your concerns about being scammed April, it's very real. To educate yourself, read this topic: PLEASE READ: Referral Ads - Buying Safely, eBay, Craigslist and Other Public Ads, buySAFE info

Your price range may be a bit conservative, but anything is possible with enough investigation and determination. Remember with fiberglass trailers, it's not the age of the trailer that's the major concern, it's the maintained condition. I've seen fairly new trailers that have been trashed and some very elderly trailers that have been maintained in pristine condition. Be prepared, with cash in hand, to jump on anything you see in your area and price range. You snooze, you lose.

Be sure to print out the Buyers Check List and have it with you when you go to look at a trailer: Buyers Check List

Good luck on the hunt
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
April,

Don't be discouraged...you'll find the one you're supposed to have...

I wanted to share an example of a 'great find' a fellow U-haul'er found...check this out!

http://www.uhaulcamper.com/forum/vie....php?f=1&t=530

He paid $2650 for his 13ft CT. I had the privledge to bring a 13 ft trailer back for a fellow U-haul'er who bought hers off of Ebay - she lives in Oklahoma and I in Ohio and the trailer was in Michigan. I was taking my 16ft VT up to family in Michigan and coming back to Ohio with an empty hitch. I offered to bring it back to Ohio for her and save her the trip to Michigan - come to find out she had family that lived about an hour from my home. It worked out for all of us!!

I got to see a 13ft in person, and meet a new friend.

I was surprised at the floor space in a 13ft'r, and have often thought that a 13 is all my husband and I really need....Well, that was until I took nieces and nephews camping - and found out the extra bed on the bunk was really a life saver!

Keep looking, your new 'egg' is out there...
Old 09-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #5

Oregon
Thanks for the encouragement... I have been reading over many of the helpful threads in this forum (this place ROCKS!! ) and have learned a lot about what to look for, avoiding scams etc...

I do have good faith that we will find what we need when the time is right, my boundaries of reality can be pretty loose sometimes. I also I tend to get a little impatient (part of living in a huge city that we are trying to get the heck out of ), but that's ok, it is just helping drive me further into learning as much as I can BEFORE I get in over my head, instead of after the fact, which is the way I usually end up doing things (the hard way) I hear ya about being ready to pounce with money in hand when I do find one. I may be jumping the gun just a little right now because we are still trying to save up a little extra money before we actually make the commitment, but since I have found all of this, I have been hooked. I love to camp and travel. I have also realized that this can be a lengthy process trying to track one down, so starting a little early couldn't hurt.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #6

Trailer: Trailorboat, Love Bug
Oklahoma
April, I'm in Oklahoma and have an 83 Casita. It's a 13ft'er I bought for a friend . He has developed some health issuses and is no longer interested. It has sat neglected for some time and I'm in the process of getting it back road worthy and ready to camp. It will take a while as my plate is pretty full with work and ideal camping weather for our part of the world. Let me kinda know your schedule and I'll see if I can be done by then. The trailer will be $2500 with new tires , fresh bearings , all light working and the propane and 12Volt systems working. It has no A/C . This model has the carpeted walls and they really need something . I just haven't figured how to shampoo the walls and ceiling??? The carpet is still in place it just looks funky and I have to believe it seen some mildew! The ol' girl has not had a sheltered life but I believe there's lots of camping enjoyment left in her.
Ron in Tulsa
Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #7

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I just haven't figured how to shampoo the walls and ceiling???
Ron, rent a carpet steam cleaner, the same kind you'd use on the carpeted flooring in your home. They can typically be rented in grocery stores (here in Portland, Oregon anyway). There's posts where folks have done just that, very successfully.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:46 AM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Quote:
I just remembered that we will be heading up to Dallas for Thanksgiving, do you think it could be ready by then?
April,

I just posted the trailer for you. You'll have to buy it tomorrow cause if I were close by it would be gone. Won't be there long unless there is something really wrong and it doesn't look like it.

Burro

Call first thing and bring it home.....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #9

Oregon
I sent them an email last night as soon as I read your message, they didn't post a phone #... so now is the hard part, waiting for them to respond. We are ready to go right now to pick it up (and take advantage of open grocery stores while we are out of town) so I am eagerly waiting and watching, but still trying to stay calm!
Old 09-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #10

Name: Orlen
Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Colorado
Don't forget the buyer's checklist! And a bill-of-sale form. Good luck.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:40 PM   #11

Oregon
Thanks Orlen! I printed the checklist up so we can take it with us. At that price, we don't expect perfection, and will look for the obvious bad flaws like a bad frame/floor/ ect.... I just hope to hear something back on this one. Still trying to patiently wait.......
Old 09-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #12

Oregon
Arrow

Bad news on the Burro, it's spoken for already... so I am still looking!
Old 09-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #13

Oregon
I have a lead on a nice looking one for $1500, still working out the detials, it will be about a 13 hour drive (one way) to pick up, but it should be worth it. It looks nice and clean, the body looks to be in good shape, it looks like the table is missing, but I think we can fix that. I will post a few pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
0405_1.JPG   29fb_1.JPG  

0830_1.JPG   0c01_1.JPG  

25f4_1.JPG  
Old 09-19-2008, 05:47 AM   #14

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Axle is shot.
Trailer sits to low.
But still a good deal.