IDSO UHaul VT - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #1

Name: Ashley
Trailer: 1986 Uhaul CT
Utah
IDSO UHaul VT

I live in Utah, but after realizing how rare they are, I would consider shipping one from anywhere really... If you live in or plan to travel through Utah and own a VT, I would absolutely LOVE to just look at it (even I you have absolutely no intentions of selling. I just wanna look at one!)

Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 12-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We looked at one that was for sale a year ago and didn't like it, but it was kind of rough.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #3

Utah
What about it didn't you like? I'm just a little bit obsessed with the front dinette that can also be bunks... Exactly what I want! I just wish they had actual flush toilets.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #4

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
I assume you could convert it:
Old 12-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #5

Utah
Cindy, I don't know anything about port-a-potty usage in a trailer. Does it get emptied with each use or just after a trip? What is done to control the *ahem* smell? Chemicals in the potty?
Old 12-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #6

Illinois
Registry
Yes. Empty it when full (There is something on ours that lets you know.) or earlier. The chemicals break down the stuff and keeps it from smelling bad. The VT has a space in the back of the privacy room to tuck in a portapotty under the front seat. It slides back in the privacy room into that little hole, although we don't use it much, since we sit the Thetford on two unopened garden hose packages to keep it at a bum knee comfort levee.

CindyL
Old 12-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #7

Utah
Makes sense. It doesn't sound like I'd really mind a port a potty then.. As long as there's a place to go in the middle of the night that won't stink up the trailer, especially for our kids once they're to their potty using years

Now I'm even more sold on a VT since that was my main reserve! Ugh.. Lets see how long this journey lasts. Let me know if you're ever in Utah with yours and wouldn't mind an admirer taking a look
Old 12-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuanis View Post
What about it didn't you like? I'm just a little bit obsessed with the front dinette that can also be bunks... Exactly what I want! I just wish they had actual flush toilets.
It was in rough shape and had a musty smell. After doing a lot of repair on our CT, we didn't want another project. It just gave us the impression of being a big ark, but cramped inside. We have been in campers that gave good first impressions, but this one did not. Just looked at it because it was close and we were curious to see it.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #9

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
1986 17' U-haul Camper | Phoenix Arizona | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 12-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #10

Utah
Thanks kirkman. I got my hopes up about that one about a week ago. The seller never got back with me and another member on here posted pictures of the exact one as their new trailer they just bought looks like I was just a little bit behind...
Old 12-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
In the world of buying an FGRV there is but one rule:

"He who hesitates will still be looking tomorrow".

Anything that's in decent condition and at a decent price will be gone tomorrow.

If it's still there in a week. there is usually something wrong, ranging from condition, impossible location, ownership issues or a just plain obnoxous seller.

In buying our last 3 FGRV's (Hunter, Scamp & a Bigfoot) we responded to look at them and/or and showed cash within hours of the ads appearing. In all cases the seller already had a list of back-up buyers waiting for us to back out, some offering a higher price. On the Bigfoot, the seller offered us $500 to back out.

The corollary to the above advice is: "He who hesitates is doomed to live in a sticky"
Old 12-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #12

Illinois
Registry
See if the one in NY is still available. The great thing about FB campers is that they are fixable. Someone in Canada a few years ago dug a VT out of mud up to the body and above and was able to bring it back to life.

Of course, I always thought that the Casita looked a lot like a Uhaul VT. Eggcampers kind of resemble them too.

CindyL
Old 12-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #13

New York
The one in NY that we looked at is no longer there. The seller took it to Florida and ended up selling it on ebay for much less than the asking price when we looked at it. No idea what happened to it after that.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #14

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
The VT has a space in the back of the privacy room to tuck in a portapotty under the front seat. It slides back in the privacy room into that little hole,
CindyL
Much preferable to one of the ones I almost owned. That had the toilet fixed, it really made the privacy room poor for storage during travel and almost seemed in the way for use as a privacy room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuanis View Post
I got my hopes up about that one about a week ago.
Keep hunting Ashley and let everyone know you are looking.
I had two offered to me privately after I lost out on my first one due to sellers remorse. We decided to keep our new to us Trillium 4500 instead. But I tell you it was a hard decision.

A Trilllium 4500 with front dinette might suit your needs. Yet they are a hard find as well.